Review: Awake at Dawn

Author: C.C. Hunter
Series: Shadow Falls #2
Published: October 11, 2011
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Reading Level: Ages 12 and Up
Pages: 400 pages
Source: Bought 

~*~Summary~*~ 
Step into the world of Shadow Falls, a camp that helps teens tap into their special…talents. Once you visit, you’ll never forget it—and you’ll never, ever be the same. 

From the moment Kylie Galen arrived at Shadow Falls Camp, she’s had one burning question: What am I?  Surrounded by vampires, werewolves, shape-shifters, fairies and witches, Kylie longs to figure out her own supernatural identity…and what her burgeoning powers mean. And now she’ll need them more than ever, because she’s being haunted by a new spirit who insists that someone Kylie knows—and loves—will die before the end of the summer.If only she only knew who she was supposed to save. And how…
But giving Kylie the most trouble is her aching heart. Gorgeous werewolf Lucas left camp with another girl, but he’s still visiting Kylie in her dreams. And Derek, a sexy half Fae who’s always been there for her when she needed him, is pushing to get more serious—and growing impatient, especially when Lucas returns. Kylie knows she needs to decide between the boys, and it’s tearing her up inside.  

Yet romance will have to wait, because something from the dark side of the supernatural world is hiding in Shadow Falls. It’s about to threaten everything she holds dear…and bring her closer to her destiny. 

~*~Lili's Reflections~*~


What a great way to continue this series! It picks up exactly where the previous novel left off and it has no shortage of Kylie's lovable quirkiness. She continues her journey of finding out exactly what she is, while the love triangle between Derek and Lucas continues to heat up. Not to mention that Kylie has a whole new meal on her plate: somehow convincing her overprotective mother to allow her to go to the new and improved Shadow Falls Boarding school! This girl's life never seems to not be busy.

The main focus of this novel is the continuation of Kylie's journey of self-discovery, as well as the love triangle and the blossoming of a side-romance between Holiday and Burnett. (Oh, come on, I'm not spoiling anything, we all knew it was going to happen even though Holiday is still her stubborn self and isn't really letting it happen! But it's getting there!) To add to everything, Kylie's powers are making themselves more pronounced. Whether it's dealing with new ghosts, running super fast, or suddenly growing a cup size, shoe size, and a couple inches overnight, her powers are coming in all shapes and sizes that make her identity crisis even more of a mystery since it seems she has a little bit of everything in her. Seems like a magical version of puberty, eh? Sounds like it if puberty included talking to ghosts and picking up some other uncanny abilities that you'll have to find out by reading the book yourself!

Now, we all love a good romance, and the love triangle is definitely a central portion of this story, though it has a lot of wishy-washy moments in it. I suppose my biggest problem with the execution of the love triangle is that she could ignore Derek for Lucas one minute and then ignore Lucas for Derek the next, but Derek cannot ignore her. That aspect of her took away from the lovable quirkiness and goofiness that is Kylie Galen and made her seem the tiniest bit bratty in the romance department. While I get that a good love-triangle has to have a lot of moments where you favor one over the other and then suddenly go back to the other to keep it juicy since your heart and mind are telling you two different things, that doesn't give you the right to get mad when they try to make something better for themselves. So, at times, Kylie was a bit frustrating in this one.

Kylie's boy troubles led her to claim to Holiday that she hates them and is seriously considering becoming a lesbian in one portion of the book. If I read this book a year ago, I'd probably shake my head and laugh, but it's not a year ago and that particular piece of attempted humor didn't register well with me. I suppose I should explain why. One of my close friends since a young age has been dealing with problems regarding her sexuality. Whatever sexuality she has, I'd love her no matter what, and it only recently became apparent to her that homosexuality seems to be more up her alley, not bisexuality like she originally believed. Thus, I know how much it bugs her at times when girls make comments like, "I hate boys! I should just become a lesbian." She is a girl who loves girls, not because she hates boys, but because she is not attracted to them and love girls and doesn't have a choice with who she loves. However, in a relationship, she experiences the same problems that a girl could experience in a heterosexual relationship, but she does not sit there saying, "I hate girls. I should be straight again!" You love who you love and you shouldn't make tiny jokes at the expense of another sexuality, especially a minority who is not entirely accepted in this country, that can hurt them depending on how it's used. Now, that doesn't subtract from the book for me, but I wanted to get that out there for my friend's sake. I, too, am guilty of saying such things as a joke, only now do I understand how others may view my joke offensively, even if not meant so.

With that aside, I'll assume the review. I have no other qualms about this book besides the fact that all the girls seem to be really wrapped up with Holiday's sex life. While I totally love Holiday because she's a best friend first and an authority figure second, she is still an authority figure and you shouldn't be concerned with her sex life as if she is a sixteen year old girl. If this was real life, I'd be a little uncomfortable in an instance like that. But, just as in my previous review, I do believe that we need more people like Holiday in the world.

After saying everything above, I am giving this book a rating of a 4.5! All of Kylie's new powers make you curious as to how much of a role they will play in the next novel in this series. My gut is telling me that they will be of great importance, so I can't wait to type of the review for that next book. However, with the love triangle being of such importance in this novel, the wishy-washy moments made you a bit frustrated. You just wanted to shake some sense into Kylie at times because she was so wrapped up in her moments and troubles that she forgot to consider how she was effecting and treating others, especially Derek, Della, and Miranda. This is still a must read series because the need to find out Kylie's true identity is becoming greater and greater and there is  no shortage of unexpected plot twists.

~*~Cover~*~

I like this cover more than I do the cover of the prequel. This one is more eye-catching and it evokes a sense of mystery with the falls, though anyone who reads the book knows exactly what those waterfalls are ;). The cover is beautiful and the girl, presumably Kylie, stands out perfectly. If I were to randomly see this book on a shelf without its prequel nearby, I would still be tempted to pick it up and take it home. Bravo to whoever designed it!


4.5 stars

~*~Links~*~


3 comments:

  1. The love triangle is what I loved the most about this series...sigh...I need to finish up my review books so I can read the next book soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The love triangle is fantastic, but at parts in this book, it's just BAH! Frustrating, I guess that's the word I'm looking for, but I can promise you that it only gets better in the next book.

      Delete
  2. I love this series by C.C. Hunter!! :)

    ReplyDelete