Review: Shatter Me


  • Author: Tahereh Mafi
  • Series: Shatter Me #1
  • Published: November 15, 2011
  • Publisher: HarperCollins
  • Reading Level: Ages 14 and up
  • Pages: 352 pages
  • Source: Bought  
  •  
~*~Summary~*~

Juliette hasn't touched anyone in exactly 264 days.

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette's touch is fatal. As long as she doesn't hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don't fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color. 

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war-- and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she's exactly what they need right now.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.

In this electrifying debut, Tahereh Mafi presents a world as riveting asThe Hunger Games and a superhero story as thrilling as The X-Men. Full of pulse-pounding romance, intoxicating villainy, and high-stakes choices, Shatter Me is a fresh and original dystopian novel—with a paranormal twist—that will leave readers anxiously awaiting its sequel.

~*~Lili's Reflections*~

I bought this book at noon on Sunday (yesterday). I began reading this book at 4:30 the same day and finished by 9 that night, having to stop to eat dinner and do a few chores. I blew through this novel because I simply could not put it down. Tahereh Mafi's words held me captive while I read Juliette's story and I wasn't fighting to break free from her spell at all.

The novel began while Juliette was in an asylum. One day, a boy was put into captivity with her. That boy was Adam. When Juliette is forcefully taken out of captivity to help the leader of the Reestablishment, Warren, her life gets turned upside down. On top of her power to kill by skin-on-skin contact, she discovers new powers and a love interest that will change her life forever. And finally, as the first novel in what is promising to be an amazing series comes to a close, Juliette finds herself fighting on the side that she was destined to fight for.

I cannot describe to you how enthralled I was by this novel. I found it impossible to put it down. Mafi drags you in from the very first line because of the unique way in which she writes and because of Juliette's out-of-the-ordinary thought processes. After all, being held in captivity for almost a year makes one go a little crazy, so her lack of human contact and usage of her voice was to be expected. Be warned that you'll need a nice snack sitting next to you because this book will be one that will cause you to stay up into the night to finish, not even willing to run downstairs to eat dinner.

The characterization in this novel is amazing. Juliette started off wishing she were dead, hating herself. But as soon as Adam entered her cell, her character began to evolve. Ever-so-slowly she began to open up more and consider the possibilities. She began standing up for herself and her beliefs as the relationship she never thought she'd have blossomed. And last but not least, she realized she was given a gift, not a curse. While romance is a huge point of this story, this story also puts a heavy focus on Juliette's journey to self-discovery and realizations that she's not the monster society made her out to be. She, despite her extraordinarily dangerous gift, deserves to be loved.

This is a novel for all of you romance readers. The relationship between Juliette and her love-interest developed beautifully and their love was so pure and real. Literally, he was willing to die for her. Mafi wrote about their passion for each other so beautifully that you can't help but wish to have a relationship like theirs in your future. (I know I'm using the word beautiful a lot, but I can't describe their relationship any other way). No, I can't reveal the love interest because his identity is so essential to the plot. However, I will say that there's a pseudo love-triangle going. Between Juliette and one character, the feelings are mutual, but between Juliette and Warren, the feelings are not. Warren seems to be a love-sick psychopath drunk on ruling the world and would stop at nothing to get what he wants. I feel sorry for him, truly, as if he craves love from a powerful being because he may not have gotten it from his mother as a child. We don't know much about his mother besides the fact that he gets uneasy whenever she's brought up, so I hope this topic is explored more in the sequel to this novel, Unravel Me, expected to be in stores in the beginning of February 2013.

This novel is now among my favorites. It's hard to find a novel that I have no complains about, but this is one of them. Thus, it is easily receiving a 5. If I could give it a 6, I would, but the rating system unfortunately ends at 5. This novel appeals to romance readers, dystopian readers, and paranormal readers. It's truly a book for the masses and there's no complaint in any department besides the cover. It's beautifully written and employs a unique sense of writing to follow Juliette's slightly skewed thought processes at the beginning of the novel. This novel is a must read for any reader. It has a little bit of everything and I guarantee you that it will pull at your heartstrings. Tahereh Mafi is a new author to look out for and I hope with all my heart that she sticks around and continues to gift us with such amazing and original plot-lines that cannot be rivaled.

~*~Cover~*~

In all honesty, I am not a fan of the cover. I loved the book and I feel as if the cover doesn't do it justice. The dress looks awkward and unappealing to me, looking nothing like the dresses that Warren made Juliette wear in the novel. However, I do like the crossed off contradictions on the top of the cover because this repeated throughout the novel. Same thing goes for the shattering effect of the title that was for every chapter title. Cute use of creativity in that aspect, but I'm hoping that they'll come out with a new cover that better suits the novel.


5 stars

~*~Links~*~


 |Sequel|



1 comment:

  1. This sounds so good! I have this book, but haven't read it yet. It sounds amazing, though! I am not crazy about this cover either, but I love the new one with the eye!

    ReplyDelete