Review: Hush, Hush

Author: Becca Fitzpatrick
  • Series: Hush, Hush #1
  • Published: October 13, 2009
  • Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books For Young Readers
  • Reading Level: Ages 14 and Up
  • Pages: 400 pages
  • Source: Bought
  •  
~*~Summary~*~
 
For Nora Grey, romance was not part of the plan. She's never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how much her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her...until Patch comes along.

With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Nora is drawn to him against her better judgment, but after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora's not sure whom to trust. Patch seems to be everywhere she is, and to know more about her than her closest friends. She can't decide whether she should fall into his arms or run and hide. And when she tries to seek some answers, she finds herself near a truth that is far more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel.

For Nora is right in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those that have fallen - and when it comes to choosing sides, the wrong choice will cost her life
 
~*~Lili's Reflections~*~
 
I read this book when it first came out and picked up its sequels, but never got to them. So, years later, I decided to settle myself into Patch's and Nora's world once more because of the hype that the final book is getting, which I am now dying to read. Let me tell you, reading this book was better the second time around. It's impossible to find any faults within this. I loved this book so much that I'm going to give it a shorter review. I'm sure you don't want to see me blather on about a book and reiterating the same points millions of times within a review because that's all I'm going to be capable of doing. Yes, I loved this book so much that it left me speechless. Me--the girl who seems to always unintentionally write reviews over a thousand words long. (I don't really know how long my reviews are, but I try to keep them long and detailed and honest.)
 
Fitzpatrick created a wonderful world for Nora. After her father's murder, she struggles to attend school and focus on academics as usual. However, with a seating arrangement in biology, her world will forever be turned upside down. Patch Cipriano will not make Nora's life easy. Mysterious, flirty, and dark--he's the guy that Nora should avoid. But her curiosity gets the better of her and she can't help but be drawn to him while fighting to uncover not only his secrets, but the causes behind the potentially fatal occurrences clouding her life ever since his arrival in town. As the mystery begins to unfold, Nora realizes that Patch's secrets may be worse than her wildest dreams.

The plot was very fast-paced. Because of this, it's nearly impossible to put the book down. I advise you to grab a nice snack and some tea and settle in for a few hours to be taken on the journey of a lifetime. Filled with plot twists that will blow your mind and some steamy scenes between Nora and Patch that will satisfy any romance lovers hunger, this novel will quickly take a place on your favorites shelf and entice you into continuing Patch and Nora's journey.
 
The characterization is perfect. Nora is determined and focused in school. Her main focus is her future, not love, which is why she was so shocked to have Patch suddenly become such a huge part of her life. Vee is her best friend and she brings a huge air of humor to the story. Boy crazed and sex hungry, Vee will never cease to make you laugh. Together, the two best friends and untwins will take their sleuthing powers to the next level. No longer will they work just for the school eZine, but they'll uncover the secrets that are hidden in Patch Cipriano's life. Patch is so perfect. Dark, mysterious, and deadly, I'd kill to have one of him for my own. All he ever wanted was to be human, and his unintentional selfish desires would change his life forever. Initially for the worse, but as he chased after the mysterious Nora, he realized it may be for the better. But those secrets from his past that he fought so hard to keep hidden are lurking in the shadows, waiting to tear them apart forever. Ulterior motives run rampant throughout this book.
 
Fitzpatrick weaves a tale of romance, mystery, and fallen angels that will hold you captive from the first page. 5 stars for such a well-written book that I couldn't seem to put down. While no world-building was necessary, the darker world that Patch found himself in instead of Nora's safe ways was unique and intriguing and defined his personality perfectly. Patch and Nora so easily represent good and evil. So, what will happen when the two of them collide? I don't want to give away any spoilers, but I can tell you that their journey will leave you breathless.
 
A must read for any young adult lover. 
 
~*~Cover~*~

I absolutely love the cover of this book because it seems to almost have an air of mystery. The gray in the background contrasts beautifully with the falling angel. The falling angel hints at the story within and is intriguing to the eye. Seeing his fall from grace is almost intimate. It's a beautiful cover, alluring, and it's what caused me to take this book off of the shelf so many years ago.


5 stars
 
~*~Links~*~
 

10 comments:

  1. Great review! I tagged you for the Liebster Blog Award! Go to this link to find out more! http://nothingbetterthanabook.blogspot.com/2012/06/liebster-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha thank you! I'll check it out now.

      Delete
  2. Becca Fitzpatrick is the master of plot twists! I absolutely love this series! Each one in so amazing, intense, and keeps you on the edge of your seat like no other books I've ever read! Great review =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this one and enjoyed it, but I really liked the second book! I haven't gotten to number 3 yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm waiting for number 3 to arrive so I can read number 2 because I heard the ending will drive me insane! lol

      Delete
  4. My cousin absolutely LOVES this whole series and has been begging me to read it for a while now. I really want to and your review makes me want to read it even more. I have only recently started reading some angel books, so this will be one to get to sooner rather than later!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! Another person who loves Hush, Hush like I did. And I did love it. I still do. I can't wait to read Finale and see how it all ends. It will be bittersweet, but sweet none the less. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete