Review: Obsidian

  • Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
  • Series: Lux #1
  • Published: May 8, 2012
  • Publisher: Entangled Teen
  • Reading Level: Ages 15 and up
  • Pages: 400 pages
  • Source: Bought 
  •  
~*~Summary~*~
When seventeen-year-old Katy Swartz moved to West Virginia right before her senior year, she’d pretty much resigned herself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring, but then she spotted her hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up…until he opened his mouth. Daemon Black is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. It’s hate at first sight, but when a stranger attacks her and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something…unexpected happens. The hot guy next door? Well, he’s an alien. Turns out that Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities and Katy is caught in the crosshairs. Daemon’s touch has lit her up like the Vegas Strip and the only way she’s getting out of this alive is by sticking close to him until her alien mojo fades. That is if she doesn’t kill him first.
 
~*~Lili's Reflections~*~

This book is as amazing as everyone says it is. It left me speechless and craving its sequel and I have no clue how I will manage to write out a decent review because words cannot describe how much I loved this book.

The plot was unique. Moving was not what Katy expected, but the secrets she uncovers about her neighbors are even more surprising. It takes several odd encounters for Katy to realize that there's something odd about the twins that live next-door--beautiful and kind Dee and jerky, gorgeous, intolerable Daemon. They are alien lifeforms from the planet Luxen, come to Earth to save their race once their planet was destroyed by their enemies, the Arum. But they are being hunted and Katy's forcefulness when befriending Dee gets her tangled up in the center of the Luxen's battle for survival. While she struggles to stay alive and tolerate Daemon's abominable and unpredictable behavior, she finds herself falling for an alien--an alien who she'd rather punch in the face 99.9% of the time. 

The romance is what makes this novel. Daemon and Katy are hot-and-cold, but it's part of their personalities. It's never sudden and doesn't give them a bi-polar feel. It can be expected because Daemon's arrogance is constantly in the back of one's mind and Katy throws everything back in his face. You know he's about to ruin a moment for his safety, but you never know just how he'll do it. Then, of course, the moments where the true Daemon shines through makes your heart melt and leave you wanting more. Katy isn't a weak human girl that falls for him and allows him to get away with everything. She's strong and stubborn and stands up for herself. She's the perfect heroin to his asshole-ish hero.

The characterization in this novel was genius. Normally, moody characters are hard to tolerate and they'll often frustrate a reader, but I was never frustrated with any of the characters in this novel. Well, that's a lie. My inner romance lover was constantly frustrated with Daemon's romantic problems, but they're essential to the plot and keep you wanting more. Katy and Dee were just perfect, as were the other characters that you will meet along the way that I don't want to reveal because meeting them is an experience within itself.

The details in this novel were so well thought out. There's a great deal of foreshadowing that is not in your face and the world-building is beyond amazing. The legends that were incorporated into the Luxen's survival were beautifully written and enchanting. There's nothing bad that I can say about this novel. 

I have to give a shout-out to Jennifer L. Armentrout for bringing the book bloggers into the book world! Katy is a bookie like us. She has her own blog that she obsesses over and layouts that she changes when frustrated. Not to mention the fact that her heart actually aches when she can't get on her laptop to make her weekly "Waiting on Wednesday" post. This aspect of the novel made me smile. I felt as if Katy had an aspect of her life that was the same as ours and, just for a moment, I could see myself in the novel, too.

It is not often that a novel leaves me speechless, but Jennifer L. Armentrout has managed to do so. Her other novels are on the top of my TBR list. It is painfully obvious that I am giving this novel a 5 out of 5. If possible, I'd give it an infinite number of stars. Alas, I cannot. The plot, the characters, the setting and alien world-building were all done expertly. Armentrout has a keen eye for detail that will leave you wanting more. Only two more months until the sequel is out, but it'll be the longest two months you have ever lived. 

This is a must read for any young adult novel reader, especially the romance-a-holics like myself. 

~*~Cover~*~

It is clear that this book is meant to be eye-catching because Daemon's face is the first thing you see when looking at the book. And we must admit, Daemon is an attractive character. For girls, this is a book that they'll automatically pull off of a shelf without a second thought. In my personal opinion, covers with people on them aren't as creative and appealing as covers with a unique design on it, but I still enjoy this cover.

 
5 stars
 
~*~Links~*~ 

5 comments:

  1. I still haven't read this series. I seriously need to save up the money and buy it! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh god, please do! It's so worth it!

      Delete
  2. Just finished Half-Blood today and I loved it. I have no doubt that her new series Lux, is going to be just as awesome. I think I might have to flip back and forth between Half-Blood series and Lux. I think J.L.A is going to be a fave author!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard so many great things about this series and so I entered in a giveaway and won so I chose this book. Can't wait to get my hands on it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read it yet but sounds great.

    ReplyDelete