Review: Sweet Evil

Author: Wendy Higgins
  • Series: The Sweet Trilogy #1
  • Published: May 1, 2012
  • Publisher: HarperTeen
  • Reading Level: Ages 13 and Up
  • Pages: 447 pages
  • Source: Bought
  •  
~*~Summary~*~
Embrace the Forbidden.

What if there were teens whose lives literally depended on being bad influences?

This is the reality for sons and daughters of fallen angels.

Tenderhearted Southern girl Anna Whitt was born with the sixth sense to see and feel emotions of other people. She’s aware of a struggle within herself, an inexplicable pull toward danger, but Anna, the ultimate good girl, has always had the advantage of her angel side to balance the darkness within. It isn’t until she turns sixteen and meets the alluring Kaidan Rowe that she discovers her terrifying heritage and her willpower is put to the test. He’s the boy your daddy warned you about. If only someone had warned Anna.

Forced to face her destiny, will Anna embrace her halo or her horns?

 
~*~Lili's Reflections~*~

Before I begin, can I just say that I've sat here staring at my computer screen, struggling to put my thoughts into words? But it's not a bad type of struggle that you hate, it's the type of struggle that comes because you loved a book so much you can't honestly even begin to describe how amazing it truly was. I'm still not entirely sure that what I'm about to say is coherent, but this is my best go because I so badly want to get my thoughts out to everyone so you can enjoy such an amazing novel as well! For a debut novel, this completely blew me away!

 Anna had unique abilities ever since she was born. But it is not until she is sixteen and runs into handsome, sinful Kaiden Rowe at a party that her world is turned upside down and she learns what she truly is--a Neph. But she differs from all of her kind, not only is her father a demon, but unlike the others, her mother is an angel--giving her even more unique abilities that set her apart from anyone else surrounding her. Infatuated by the Son of Lust, Kaiden, they begin a journey to see her Father, the Duke of Substance Abuse, while battling their inner demons and a love that they simply cannot be shared because it is forbidden.

The plot in this novel is so unique. It was not what I expected, which I absolutely loved. The relationship that Higgins developed between the angels, the demons, and their children is so interesting and complicated. I wouldn't have been able to dream it up in my wildest dreams. This unique idea is unlike any other angel novel I have read to date. It will pull you in and hold you captive. The lore she incorporated into the story was done so expertly and the angel world-building was simply fantastic. So much so that I was able to completely read a 447 page paperback in a single day because I didn't have enough willpower to put it down.

Anna's characterization was genius. I love the irony that ensued throughout the book. Her angel side constantly battled her demon side and her instinctual draw to illegal substances. Who knew a good girl was capable of so much potential bad? I'd love to say more, but I don't trust myself to not reveal any important revelations that a reader experiences throughout the book that makes them hold their breath and beg for more.
Kaiden is also amazing. While he's arrogant and over-confident, you can't help but have a special place in your heart for him. Look at that, the Son of Lust is doing his job so well that he even captures girls hearts off the pages of his books. Your Dad would be proud, Kaiden.

The love between these two characters is so great. Their intimacies were written beautifully and their feelings were so vivid. While you hated their stubbornness, you understood their necessity to be so frustrating. After all, their relationship is forbidden and could result in death, but that doesn't stop them from feeling what they feel. What will happen between these two, you may ask? Well, you'll have to read the book to find out for yourself! I will be revealing no spoilers!

All of the characters were written beautifully. Even the evil ones that you so badly wanted to despise were alive with their very aura. You could practically feel the darkness oozing off of the pages while you read about the Duke of Lust and the Duke of Pride, but you could feel the warmth emanating from the Duke of Substance Abuse. All of their characters were just so, so... real. Plus, as much as I wish I had Kaiden for myself, I prefer him with Anna, so I would not mind taking Kopano for myself. ;) 

The ending was a bit disappointing. And I don't say that because it'll ruin the book, it just seemed a tiny bit rushed and it left you wanting so much more. It wasn't a cliff-hanger, but it makes you want to pull your hair out since the deal for the sequel in the trilogy has yet to be completed, so there's no way in hell the novel will be in our hands immediately. I so greatly wish I already had it in my hands right now. I need to know what happens next. And that's where the disappointment comes from: Higgins left us wanting so much more, but gave us so little detail at the end. Please, strike a deal with HarperTeen ASAP so the sequel can be in my hands before I know it!

It's painfully obvious that this novel is getting 5 out of 5 stars from me. It has definitely found its spot among my top 10 favorite books of all time. Higgins is able to pull you in from the prologue and keep your attention until the very last word on the very last page. This novel makes it seem as if she's been writing her entire life because she's so easily mastered the skill at capturing a reader's heart. I cannot wait long enough for the sequel, but I'll be rooting for Anna and her story until the very last world in the third installment of this series.

A must read for any young-adult reader. Especially one that eats up forbidden love stories just as much as I do. 
 
~*~Cover~*~

As I've said countless times before, I am not a fan of covers with models on them. I don't know why, but sometimes they just don't work well with the story and they picture the main characters different than you would and it all sucks. This is not how I imagined Anna. She's much shorter with longer hair. And while I think the color of the dress looks good on her, I do not like the dress itself. It's not a cover that interests me personally and it doesn't show how awesome the story waiting inside it truly is. I guess it's tempting, though, which is all it needs to be for the average Barnes and Noble wanderer.
 
  
5 stars
 
~*~Links~*~ 

3 comments:

  1. This sounds so interesting & refreshing. The cover actually kinda put me off but I'm definitely planning on picking it up now. I really enjoyed your review also, it was informative and thorough without being boring. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thank you! That was the goal! Enjoy (:

      Delete
  2. I won Sweet Evil a while back, but I haven't had the chance to read it yet. It makes me happy every time I see a great review on it, and yours is no exception. I am really going to have to hurry up and get through some of my TBR so I can read this already. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete