Review: Chain Reaction

Author: Simone Elkeles
  • Series: Perfect Chemistry #3
  • Published: August 16, 2011
  • Publisher: Walker Books
  • Reading Level: Young Adult
  • Pages: 308 pages
  • Source: Bought
  •  
~*~Summary~*~

Like his brothers, Luis Fuentes is a risk taker; whether he's scaling the Rocky Mountains or dreaming of a future as an astronaut, Luis is always looking for the next thrill. Nikki Cruz lives her life by certain rules -, don't trust a boy who says "I love you", boys lie to get their own way and never date a boy from the south side of Fairfield. Then she meets Luis at his brother Alex's wedding and suddenly she's tempted to break all her rules. Getting Nikki to give him a chance is Luis's biggest challenge, until he finds himself targeted by the head of the gang that nearly destroyed his brothers' lives. Will Luis's feelings for Nikki be enough to stop him from entering a dark and violent world that could prove to be the ultimate risk?


~*~Lili's Reflections~*~

Simone Elkeles did it again! I can never find it in me to dislike this wonderful series. The youngest of the Fuentes brothers is easy to love because he is literally a combination of both of his older brothers: Alex and Carlos. Will this is an awesome combination, it didn't make the book as enjoyable as the other books in the series because there was nothing totally unique about Luis the way that Alex and Carlos was unique.

Luis meets Nikki at Alex's wedding. Nikki just had a miscarriage with Luis's ex-best-friend from his childhood. When Luis moves back to Fairfield, he inadvertently pushes Nikki away by befriending her ex and his friend again. Together, they will embark on a rocky journey that leads to a memorable relationship and an awesome win the in Fuentes family annual panty discus tournament.

I have to say that I did struggle with Luis and Nikki's romance a little. It seemed very fake at times. They were both "using" each other at one point, so I found myself rolling my eyes at the cheesiness of it all half of the time. Then again, isn't that one of the things that make us love Elkeles's books so much? In all honesty, I struggled more with Nikki than I did Luis. I can't ever find it in me to hate a Fuentes boy.

I don't really have anything to say about this book. You can see how much I love this series from all my other reviews! I would definitely recommend this series to anyone that is in need for a nice, cheesy, yet unique contemporary romance series. I have to say that the first book in the series will forever and always be my favorite. Big brother Alex set a bar that Carlos and Luis are completely incapable of reaching. But that doesn't mean that they don't come close. ;)

4 stars to this cheesy conclusion. I have to say that the epilogue may have a little too much cheese in it, but it makes me curious as to whether or not this trilogy may turn into a four book series! 

~*~Cover~*~

This cover happens to be a bit cliche, too, but I also have to say it's probably the hottest in the series. While I wouldn't be tempted to take it off the shelf, it goes with the rest of the series, so I do enjoy that aspect of it.


4 stars

 

2 comments:

  1. Stopping by to let you know I've nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award. I hope you like it!

    Helene @ Helene's World of Books

    ReplyDelete