Review: Immortal City

Author: Scott Speer
  • Series: Immortal City #1
  • Published: April 3, 2012
  • Publisher: Razorbill
  • Reading Level: Young Adult
  • Pages: 368 pages (Hardcover)
  • Source: Bought
  •  
~*~Summary~*~

Jackson Godspeed is the hottest young Angel in a city filled with them.

He's days away from becoming a full Guardian, and people around the world are already competing for the chance to be watched over by him. Everyone's obsessed with the Angels and the lucky people they protect - everyone except for Madison Montgomery.

Maddy's the one girl in Angel City who doesn't breathlessly follow the Angels on TV and gossip blogs. When she meets Jackson, she doesn't recognize him. But Jackson is instantly captivated by her, and against all odds the two fall in love.

Maddy is swiftly caught up in Jackson's scene, a world of glamour, paparazzi - and murder. A serial killer is on the loose, leaving dead Angels' wings for the police to find on the Walk of Fame. Even the Guardians are powerless to protect themselves in the face of this threat & and this time it's up to Maddy to save Jackson.


 
~*~Lili's Reflections~*~

Scott Speer re-imagined Los Angeles, also known as Immortal City, in this amazing tale where angels aren't really the most angelic, despite their angelic duties. Guardian Angels have been around forever, protecting humans by performing anonymous saves and giving them a second chance at life. Then, the American Civil War happened. The angels were disgusted that brothers were killing their own brothers and they decided that they should make their presence known, refusing to help this seemingly selfish and clueless race. Now, Guardian Angels only protect those who can afford to pay them. Sure, they're carrying out their angelic duties, but doing it for obscene payments seems a bit corrupt, don't you think? Well, a lot of unprotected humans, and even some angels, think so too!

Speer gives us a taste of paparazzi in this novel thing with themes of idolizing celebrities. But in his world, the celebrities are the angels. And the most well known angel of them all is Jackson Godspeed, also known as Jacks--the world's youngest Guardian Angel. And thrown into it all is Maddy Montgomery--a girl who never really cared about the angels, but somehow found herself living alongside Jacks in the spotlight. Such a place is a place that millions of girls across the world would die to be.

Honestly, this seems like a re-imagined Cinderella story to me. Jacks is the perfect Prince Charming and Maddy is our hard-working Cinderella, a girl that lost both her parents that always takes the morning shift at her uncle Kevin's diner. Both grew up naive to the others lifestyles, so their attempts at a relationship or any type of public appearance were in vain. Jacks took Maddy into the spotlight with the hopes of showing her how beautiful he truly thought he was, but let's just say that backfired beyond belief. Their naivety made it incredibly hard for them to see eye to eye. And of course, the odds were stacked against them, but that never seemed to stop them. And just when everything couldn't get worse, their relationship began to plummet while surrounded by non-stop action that had you flipping pages like there is no tomorrow! 

Maddy is a great heroine. She's very logical, but Jacks' presence makes her illogical. Thus, her random spurts of logic when the story is moving along are almost aggravating. They come out of nowhere, though you tend to agree with them, I just wish they were brought on more smoothly. Jacks isn't the typical Hollywood "It" Boy. He broke up with Vivian Holycross, the "It" Girl because she didn't truly care for him, effectively turning her into the Evil Step-Sister. She's immediately envious of Jacks and beyond territorial, threatening both Jacks and Maddy any chance she's given.

Oddly enough, I truly adored this story. Despite me feeling the Cinderella vibes, this is definitely different from any form of re-telling that I have ever read. It's not even officially a re-telling, it just seems like one to me, as a reader. My only complaint is that, at times, I wish Speer was more descriptive. But, hey, this is his debut novel so I have to give him the props he deserves. 4.5 stars to this awesome story that kept me turning the pages because I couldn't get enough. I am most definitely anxiously awaiting its sequel!

A nice read for anyone who loves loose fairytale re-tellings, angels, mythology, and action! 


~*~Cover~*~

I actually like this cover. It's not amazing, but it's definitely better than most. I feel as if I am looking at Jacks on the cover, if only his wings looked more realistic!



 
4.5 stars
 
~*~Links~*~

|Sequel

7 comments:

  1. I was ready to give up on angel books, but then I saw this trailer (which is so amazing). You're review reminds me I need to read it! I'm so glad you liked it. And it's kind of like Cinderella...you just sold me. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I genuinely think you'll enjoy it, Krista!

      Delete
  2. I had this book on my wish list, but after reading you're amazing review I'll definitely buy and read it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had expected that I would LOVE this book but unfortunately, I didn't:( But I'm glad that you enjoyed this book so much, and now that I think of it, it is a bit like, as you said, "a re-imagined Cinderella story", but "is definitely different from any form of re-telling that I have ever read." isn't it? Anyway, I really liked how you captured the backbone of this story in those mini-quotes. Great review:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not everyone loves the same books, I totally get that! But this seemed like such a huge re-telling to me. I would read passages and my mind would scream out "there's our Prince Charming!" or something of the sort. Thank you (:

      Delete
  4. I went into Immortal City expecting a MAYBE so-so book, and wound up not being able to stop reading for nothing. I loved it. All of it. The world, the characters. Amazing. And after some thinking, I really like the cover. I can't wait for Natural Born Angel in April, and I really like that cover too.

    ReplyDelete