Review: Pure

Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
  • Series: Covenant #2
  • Published: April 3, 2012
  • Publisher: Spencer Hill Press
  • Reading Level: Young Adult
  • Pages: 329 pages
  • Source: Bought
  •  
~*~Summary~*~

There is need. And then there is Fate...

Being destined to become some kind of supernatural electrical outlet isn't exactly awesome--especially when Alexandria's "other half" is everywhere she goes. Seth's in her training room, outside her classes, and keeps showing up in her bedroom--so not cool. Their connection does have some benefits, like staving off her nightmares of the tragic showdown with her mother, but it has no effect on what Alex feels for the forbidden, pure-blooded Aiden. Or what he will do--and sacrifice--for her.

When daimons infiltrate the Covenants and attack students, the gods send furies--lesser gods determined to eradicate any threat to the Covenants and to the gods, and that includes the Apollyon... and Alex. And if that and hordes of aether-sucking monsters didn't blow bad enough, a mysterious threat seems willing to do anything to neutralize Seth, even if that means forcing Alex into servitude... or killing her.

When the gods are involved, some decisions can never, ever be undone.


~*~Lili's Reflections~*~

I am at a loss for words when it comes to this review. All I can say is that I may die of anxiety while I wait for the third Covenant novel. After reading the prequel, Half-Blood, I totally expected that I had this novel figured out. Boy, was I wrong.

The action in this one is even more intense. The plot twists are even more exhilarating and unexpected. And the new characters explode onto the scene with a bang. Alexandria just doesn't catch a break in this novel, but that's totally okay for readers because she kept us flipping the pages like there's no tomorrow! I'm serious when I say that my fingers were already subconsciously grasping corners and getting ready to flip before I was even half way done with the page I was on at that very moment. I had to catch myself several times from skipping entire paragraphs in my eagerness to see what happens next.

With the daimons getting stronger and attacking the several different Covenant locations throughout the country, half-bloods cannot be trusted. Forced to submit to humiliating actions to keep the Pures (and arguably the Half-Bloods) safe, the Half-Bloods are suddenly losing their freedom and the respect of their peers. With Alexandria's rocky relationship with Aiden, this is especially troubling to her. But even more troubling...Seth's attention.

I think this is probably one of the few love triangles that I have honestly eaten up instead of finding myself despising it. While Aiden and Alex's encounters are full of love and passion, Seth and Alex's are hot and heavy, but also full of a passion all their own. They are connected and they need each other to survive, to keep living, to just be. They find strength in each other, both figuratively and literally, and Alex's constant habit of finding herself in unexpected and unruly predicaments--with both of her love interests and with the Covenant--kept me turning the pages like a madwoman.

It's so hard for me to not give away any of the unique happenings in this novel to you. You meet some Covenant members that are stuck in the old ways where all Half-Bloods should be servants. Because you are so attached to Alex, you burn with a hatred for these characters equal to only the nastiest and most brutal of evil villains. And because you are so attached to Alex and her story, you'll feel her pain, her loss, her anger, confusion, and happiness. As a reader, I felt as if I were part of her journey because her emotions were so clear to me. Armentrout's amazing writing shines through with this series and I think it's fairly certain that her amazing writing abilities have gained her yet another fan and five star review.

I highly recommend checking this series out if you haven't. It's part of the reason writing this review was so hard...I didn't want to ruin anything from either of the books for you! You have to sit there and gasp in shock just like I did and trust me when I say that you'll enjoy every bit of it and yearn for more. 

~*~Cover~*~

So, blue is my favorite cover and the covers in this series never cease to awe me. I absolutely love this rose. Again, I can't figure out if it is made of light or flames, but it is still a beautiful cover to me nonetheless. A+ move. I may actually cry if they change the covers in this series half way through.

 


5 stars

 

5 comments:

  1. This is a series I haven't gotten to yet. I put it off last fall when there were accusations it was a VA ripoff. Now with all the great reviews, including you saying this love triangle is tolerable...I am thinking I need to get to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd definitely recommend doing so! It is very much like VA, but it also has its own creativity thrown in. In the review for its prequel, I did talk about how it is somewhat like VA, though not entirely.

      Delete
  2. OMG Do your now how many people say what great series this is and after reading this review it just makes me want to read it that much more :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a few pages from the end of Half-Blood, and I have loved every second of it. I started scouting out reviews of Pure about 8 chapters ago, and I am happy to see that the reviews are just as positive for this book in the series as for the first. Pure will be on my Kindle, alongside Half-Blood, by the end of the night. Thanks for the review. Oh, and just for the record, Team Aidan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will defiantly add it to the list.

    ReplyDelete