Review: Spellbound

Author: Rachel Hawkins
  • Series: Hex Hall #3
  • Published: March 13, 2012
  • Publisher: Hyperion Book CH
  • Reading Level: Ages 10 and Up
  • Pages: 336 pages
  • Source: Library
  •  
~*~Summary~*~

 Hailed as “impossible to put down,” the Hex Hall series has both critics and teens cheering. With a winning combination of romance, action, magic and humor, this third volume will leave readers enchanted.

Just as Sophie Mercer has come to accept her extraordinary magical powers as a demon, the Prodigium Council strips them away. Now Sophie is defenseless, alone, and at the mercy of her sworn enemies—the Brannicks, a family of warrior women who hunt down the Prodigium. Or at least that’s what Sophie thinks, until she makes a surprising discovery. The Brannicks know an epic war is coming, and they believe Sophie is the only one powerful enough to stop the world from ending. But without her magic, Sophie isn’t as confident.

Sophie’s bound for one hell of a ride—can she get her powers back before it’s too late?


~*~Lili's Reflections~*~

This epic conclusion to the Hex Hall series does not disappoint. It is just 336 of pure awesome that will hold your attention until the very last page. Full of new characters, new plot twists, and new life-changing revelations, Spellbound is the perfect conclusion to this teen trilogy and I couldn't have written it better myself.

It seems that with each book, we learn something new about Sophie. First she turns out to be a demon, then she's a demon on the run, and now she's got a whole new hidden part of her life to deal with. And let me tell you, it's a part of her life that is beyond shocking. I never saw it coming, but when it came, all I wanted was to learn more.

The plot of this novel never let's up. It'll drag you in from the very beginning with more and more unpredictable events leading up to an epic battle that'll cost someone their life. But it's an honorable death that'll leave you with a new respect for said character.

The characterization in this novel was the best out of all the novels in the series. The characters that have been with us from the beginning evolved in ways that you wouldn't expect and the new characters exploded onto the scene with grace, easily making you feel for them and understand their thinking. 

Hawkins leaves no loose ends with this conclusion, which is something that I literally loved. All questions you had were answered and the fates of all characters were explained. Nobody was left hanging in the dust or forgotten. In my opinion, this is the proper way to end a series. And when you leave a reviewer speechless, that's a good sign, too!

Honestly, I'm having trouble writing this review. I just can't express to you how great this series is. It's quirky, light, and hard to put down. Like the rest of the series, it is earning 4 stars. Again, while the writing is juvenile, it is something that you cease to notice while reading because the plot is so incredibly strong. I wish I could say more, but I am seriously at a loss for words as I write this review. This series was just that good. If you ever have the time and you are in the mood for a light, entertaining, yet totally unpredictable read, this is the series for you.

~*~Cover~*~

I think that after reviewing the other two books in the series, it is obvious that I'm not the biggest fan of these covers, but I'm glad that it still goes along with the themes from the previous novels in the series. 
 
4 stars

 

3 comments:

  1. Great review! I'm rethinking my choice to not read this one. I loved Demonglass, but Sophie's voice grates on me a little bit. But now...hmm, I'm seriously considering ordering this now. Maybe paperback :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd be surprised about a lot of what happens in this book!

      Delete
  2. I've read the first two books and I still haven't been able to get my hands on this one yet, but i'm glad you liked it! That makes me want to get my hands on it even sooner.

    ReplyDelete