Review: Sweet Venom

Author: Tera Lynn Childs
  • Series: Medusa Girls #1
  • Published: September 6, 2011
  • Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
  • Reading Level: Young Adult
  • Pages: 345 pages (Hardcover)
  • Source: Library
  •  
~*~Summary~*~

Grace just moved to San Francisco and is excited to start over at a new school. The change is full of fresh possibilities, but it’s also a tiny bit scary. It gets scarier when a minotaur walks in the door. And even more shocking when a girl who looks just like her shows up to fight the monster.

Gretchen is tired of monsters pulling her out into the wee hours, especially on a school night, but what can she do? Sending the minotaur back to his bleak home is just another notch on her combat belt. She never expected to run into this girl who could be her double, though.

Greer has her life pretty well put together, thank you very much. But that all tilts sideways when two girls who look eerily like her appear on her doorstep and claim they're triplets, supernatural descendants of some hideous creature from Greek myth, destined to spend their lives hunting monsters.

These three teenage descendants of Medusa, the once-beautiful gorgon maligned by myth, must reunite and embrace their fates in this unique paranormal world where monsters lurk in plain sight.

  
~*~Lili's Reflections~*~

I was not blown away by Childs' Oh. My. Gods. series, so I didn't know what to expect with this book, but I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised. While this seems like it was written to appeal to the younger group of young adult readers, it was incredibly light and entertaining and easily kept me turning pages. Every now and then, I even found myself smiling at the funny jokes littered throughout the book.

Gretchen, Grace, and Greer are all triplets. But they're not your average set of triplets. They're descended from the warrior gorgon Medusa. They must send all of the evil creatures that break into the human world back to where they came from. The problem is, two out of the three girls are unaware of the mission that they were born to carry out. All three are adopted and only Gretchen knows the truth. When she stumbles across Grace in a local club, both of their worlds begin to turn upside-down. Once Gretchen begins to train Grace, they realize they must track down their third sister and train her too, only to be met with resistance. These three girls cannot be more different, but that's what makes this tale all the more interesting. I have a little sister of my own, so I totally understood their sisterly banter and constant need to argue with each other. Isn't that what sisters are for?

Childs did a unique thing with this book. It was narrated between three different perspectives. I applaud her for taking this risk, but I didn't really enjoy it at times. I often had to flip back to the first page of a chapter to see whose voice I was reading in until I got used to the characters and their unique voices. To add onto that, we weren't introduced to Greer until we were two thirds into the book. I feel like I barely know her because of this. I had an entire novel to discover Grace's intelligence and Gretchen's awesome skills at kicking some monster ass, but I barely knew Greer. To me, she's a materialistic rich kid. As we learned more about her, I never found myself liking her. This could be attributed to the fact that I don't even know her half as well as I know Gretchen and Grace. I felt like I could relate to Gretchen and Grace, though I definitely couldn't relate to Greer. Then again, it's hard to relate to a girl that spends her dates deciding whether her boyfriend earned a kiss or not. I'm hoping I'll warm up to her specific character in the next book in the series. 

My favorite thing about this book was the mythology. It was everywhere in this novel, so I easily fell in love with it. While most of it is legitimate mythology, Childs had to twist a few tales to keep the book going. Still, they were believable and had the basis of truth, and I found myself eating it up.

This series is perfect for any reader that enjoys mythology and light, entertaining reads. The writing is slightly juvenile and though I enjoyed the plot, nothing in the novel truly blew me away. The descendants of Medusa aspect of the novel was totally original, but I felt as if I've come across the whole "we are descended from some type of God so now we have to rid the world of evil" thing has been done before. This is one of those series that I enjoyed, but it didn't blow me away. It's the perfect book to read if we want something to make us laugh.

~*~Cover~*~

 I really like this cover. I think it's appealing to the eye. It's simple and not overly complicated in a completely unnecessary way. I believe we're looking at Gretchen's ever present braid, though she wouldn't wear a shirt that was so low cut in the back.



3.5 stars

 

5 comments:

  1. I keep seeing this book pop up (I remember the cover) It may just have to be one I add to my TBR list.

    -K8
    http://froze8.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I wasn't too WOWed by the Oh. My. Gods. series, but this one sounds really interesting– gotta check it out! Great review and I'm a new follower :D

    Rabiah
    Confessions of a Readaholic

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been meaning to get to this one. It is on my TBR pile, so I'm glad to get an opinion on it. I did like Oh.My.Gods., but had a hard time getting into Goddess Boot Camp. I really liked Oh My Fins, so I'm eager to give this series a go. Thanks for the review!
    Tammy @ http://bosbooknook.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love this book its so amazing. I have read lots of books before but none of them are ever this funny to read when I got started I couldn’t stop reading it. I love how all the monster are Greek monsters and all the facts are real and not made up like some authors do and how it creates a good picture in your mind I have already read this book 6 times and I have suggest it to others book worms like me

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read this one a while back, but I don't remember too much about it. That isn't really a good thing, but I read a lot of books so I am trying to chalk it up to that. I do remember that I enjoyed the book at the time. I just picked up Sweet Shadows at the library today, so I plan to reread Sweet Venom to remind myself of the story. Maybe this time around I will be able to remember what goes on so that I don't have to reread both of the books when the final one comes out. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete