Review: Divergent

Author: Veronica Roth
  • Series: Divergent #1
  • Published: May 3, 2011
  • Publisher: Harper Collins
  • Reading Level: Young Adult
  • Pages: 487 pages (Paperback)
  • Source: Bought
  •  
~*~Summary~*~

In a future Chicago, 16-year-old Beatrice Prior must choose among five predetermined factions to define her identity for the rest of her life, a decision made more difficult when she discovers that she is an anomaly who does not fit into any one group, and that the society she lives in is not perfect after all. 

~*~Lili's Reflections~*~

Words cannot describe how upset I am with myself because I chose to put this book off for so long. It is definitely amongst my favorite dystopians of all time. Roth truly has a way with words.

Divergent is set in a futuristic Chicago where everyone is divided into 5 different factions. Each faction has different responsibilities. One pursues knowledge, another makes up the government, another is constantly honest just as the Dauntless faction are increasingly brutal. People figured that if people belong in different factions that dictate how they should act, there will be no fighting since everyone is among those of the same kind. When a child is 16, they choose to stay with the faction that they were born into or go somewhere else. Tris just turned 16, and she can no longer handle her Abnegation upbringing. It's time for a change, but she didn't think her change would be as great as discovering that she is Divergent--meaning should doesn't belong to any single faction. 

This book completely rocked my world. I have no words for how much it blew me away. The world-building was superb and well thought-out and every character was memorable and important to the progression of the plot. I seethed with hatred for some while I oozed love for others. Some simply confused the heck out of me, but they were all well-characterized nonetheless.

And Four, don't even get me started on Four. I figured out who he was from the beginning, so it was slightly annoying to me to realize that Tris was so lost when it came to his true identity. But when she discovered it, I was incredibly happy. Four is amazingly strong and gorgeous, but he has a lot of hidden secrets. He's a mystery that anyone would want to unravel and he is one of my favorite love interests of all time. That's all there is to it.

I would, without a doubt, recommend this book to dystopian fans. Anybody that likes action and fighting will enjoy this book as well. Lastly, there's even some science fiction thrown in and the romance is interwoven beautifully. It's an important part of the plot, but it doesn't overpower it. I am still chastising myself for waiting so long to read this and I am, without a doubt, anxiously waiting the opportunity to pick up its sequel. 5 stars to this amazingly unique tale. 

~*~Cover~*~

I never understood what the cover of this book meant until I actually read the book. When I passed it in the book store, it always piqued my curiosity, I was just stupid enough not to pick it up. I think its visually appealing and simple. Good cover choice.

 


5 stars

 
~*~Links~*~ 

6 comments:

  1. I LOVED this book! It was my Top YA Dystopia last year. Great review!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. gr8 review . cool that u loved it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im glad that you loved this book. I have to say this series is my favorite of all time. I read the first and second book in 2 days each, only because I had to sleep haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AMAZING Review! I LOVED this book, it's probably one of my all time favorites, if not my favorite of all time! Your review was great!! I can't wait for book 3.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm one of the few bloggers that has never read this one yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is honestly my favorite book

    ReplyDelete