Review: Fire

Author: Kristin Cashore
  • Series: Graceling Realm #2
  • Published: October 5, 2009
  • Publisher: Dial Books
  • Reading Level: Young Adult
  • Pages: 461 pages (Hardcover)
  • Source: Bought
  •  
~*~Summary~*~
It is not a peaceful time in the Dells. The young King Nash clings to his throne while rebel lords in the north and south build armies to unseat him. The mountains and forests are filled with spies and thieves and lawless men.

This is where Fire lives. With a wild, irresistible appearance and hair the color of flame, Fire is the last remaining human monster. Equally hated and adored, she had the unique ability to control minds, but she guards her power, unwilling to steal the secrets of innocent people. Especially when she has so many of her own.

Then Prince Brigan comes to bring her to King City, The royal family needs her help to uncover the plot against the king. Far away from home, Fire begins to realize there's more to her power than she ever dreamed. Her power could save the kingdom.

If only she weren't afraid of becoming the monster her father was.


~*~Lili's Reflections~*~

Fire's story was wonderful, but nothing can compare to the amazingness that is Graceling. Where I loved everything about Graceling, I didn't find myself in the same situation with the second novel in the Graceling Realm series.

The characterization was superb. Fire was incredibly complex. She just wanted everything to be okay, despite her wild upbringing and evil, manipulative father. Herself and the King's sons were all a new generation of right while their fathers was the generation of the wrong. My one problem, characterization wise, was Archer. He was all over the place. His stubborn ways constantly made us dislike him and his actions were intolerable and impulsive. Part of the time I loved him, part of the time I hated him, and when we learn more about him, I pitied him. I couldn't feel bad for anything that happened to him because after half of the things he did to Fire and several other ladies, the woman in my was screaming that he deserved it.

The plot was superb. It kept me on my toes and I loved the incorporation of the music. Truly, I can't find one thing wrong with it. I love how the characters growth was essential to the plot. I love how the plot was full of twists and surprises. I love how the lies were slowly unraveled and there was no extreme level of predictability. Is it obvious that Cashore is one of my favorite authors of all time?

I also adored the romance in the novel. It was slow, easy-going. Fire had to learn to love those around her, just as everyone at the kingdom had to adjust to her. It was not instantaneous and it took a large portion of the book to happen. Sacrifices were made to have such a love. No, I can't ruin who the love interest is, but I'll tell you that they are perfect together! And the moral was so strong. Despite someone's physical beauty, true beauty is on the inside. If you are beautiful on the inside, then the outside is beautiful to those who love you as well. That was my favorite moral of this story.

This book can stand alone from Graceling. It has nothing to do with it besides one cross over character and the understanding between the two worlds. They are not the same, but there's a link between the two of them that is evident if you read both books. Fire can be read before or after its prequel by anyone. Anybody who loves high fantasy should read this. Actually, anybody at all can read this, but it will especially satisfy high fantasy lovers.

Is it clear that this novel has me at a loss for words yet? No? Well, it does! Can't wait to read  the third book in the series, Bitterblue. Kristin Cashore never ceases to amaze me.
~*~Cover~*~

I love this cover. it's simple, but describes the book, and I've always been fascinated by the lips up top. I can never hate a cover by Cashore.

 


 4.5 stars

~*~Links~*~

1 comment:

  1. If the cover wasn't enough to make me wanna read this then the summary and review surely would!
    Follower!
    http://thecrossbreeds.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete