Review: Glitch

Author: Heather Anastasiu
  • Series: Glitch #1
  • Published: August 7, 2012
  • Publisher: St. Martin's Press
  • Reading Level: Young Adult
  • Pages: 371 pages (paperback and e-book)
  • Source: Netgalley for Blog Tour
  •  
~*~Summary~*~
In the Community, there is no more pain or war. Implanted computer chips have wiped humanity clean of destructive emotions, and thoughts are replaced by a feed from the Link network.

When Zoe starts to malfunction (or “glitch”), she suddenly begins having her own thoughts, feelings, and identity. Any anomalies must be immediately reported and repaired, but Zoe has a secret so dark it will mean certain deactivation if she is caught: her glitches have given her uncontrollable telekinetic powers.

As Zoe struggles to control her abilities and stay hidden, she meets other glitchers including Max, who can disguise his appearance, and Adrien, who has visions of the future. Both boys introduce Zoe to feelings that are entirely new. Together, this growing band of glitchers must find a way to free themselves from the controlling hands of the Community before they’re caught and deactivated, or worse.

In this action-packed debut, Glitch begins an exciting new young adult trilogy.


~*~Lili's Reflections~*~

To be perfectly honest, this book just didn't do it for me. So many people loved it, so I was incredibly disappointed as I read it. I struggled and argued with myself about whether I should fight my way through or just DNF it and get it over with. I fought my way through because of the one redeeming quality of the book: the reason for the dystopian society. Comm Corp was so insane that they legitimately made up a D-Day to convince everyone to hide underground and obey them completely with the insertion of the microchips. I think this idea was incredibly unique and the microchips were fascinating, and that's what kept me reading. This horrible dystopian world was created out of sheer greed and an overwhelming desire for control. But even then...it could have been executed so much better.

I struggled with all of the characters. Adrien had me bashing my head against the wall every time he said "godlam'd" "gangy" "shuntin'" or "crackin'." I can't tell you why these words annoyed me as much as they did, but, man, did they get on my nerves! Zoe was overwhelmingly cliche and easily fell prey to insta-love, but this was one of the worst cases of it that I have ever seen. She was also incredibly melodramatic, as was everyone else. Max was a creep and I hate him. That's all there is to it. 

The one redeeming moment between Adrian and Zoe was whenever Adrien taught Zoe how to feel and understand emotions. He taught her what emotions were, what they mean, what they do to you. His wording in such moments were beautiful and I found them to be wonderfully descriptive and intense. I really did enjoy those moments, but, unfortunately, they did not take up a large portion of the book.

This book just didn't do it for me. Everything was predictable, I couldn't identify with any of the cliche characters or dialogue, and everything was repetitive. I give this book an extra half star for the interesting and unique concept, but I will not be continuing this series. I know plenty of people who have absolutely adored this book, but I just can't do it. As much as I love dystopians, this is not for me.
~*~Cover~*~

It's a shame that such a cool looking cover was wasted on a book that I, personally, did not enjoy. That's not to say that nobody else will enjoy it. I know a lot of people that have, but this book does not live up to the awesomness of the cover. Not at all.

 
1.5 stars

 
~*~Links~*~ 

8 comments:

  1. I'm sad to see you didn't like this book, its soooo pretty. I've been either seeing its a horrible book or people absolutely adore it.

    lol. Those words sound like they would get annoying. Great review anyways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been looking forward to this book, and I'm sorry to hear that you didn't like it. I am really curious about the unique world though and will probably give this a try when I find the time. At the moment, with classes coming back, I have enough with all the books I have for review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone has different opinions, so you may actually love it, but I wouldn't be in a rush to read it because there are A LOT of other books that are better, y'know?

      Haha good luck with classes!

      Delete
  3. I agree with your review. I too was not a big fan of this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't understand why it received as much hype as it did!

      Delete
  4. Sorry you didn't enjoy! I have to like or connect with characters to get into most books as well.

    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. It wasn't great. I liked the premise and there were moments where I saw what it could have been. I think the sequel's already on it's way and I think the plot has potential, it was the execution I found "glitchy".

    ReplyDelete