Review: Incarnate

Author: Jodi Meadows
  • Series: Newsoul #1
  • Published: January 31, 2012
  • Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
  • Reading Level: Young Adult
  • Pages: 374 pages (Hardcover)
  • Source: Bought
  •  
~*~Summary~*~
 New soul

Ana is new. For thousands of years in Range, a million souls have been reincarnated over and over, keeping their memories and experiences from previous lifetimes. When Ana was born, another soul vanished, and no one knows why.

No soul

Even Ana's own mother thinks she's a nosoul, an omen of worse things to come, and has kept her away from society. To escape her seclusion and learn whether she'll be reincarnated, Ana travels to the city of Heart, but its citizens are afraid of what her presence means. When dragons and sylph attack the city, is Ana to blame?

Heart

Sam believes Ana's new soul is good and worthwhile. When he stands up for her, their relationship blooms. But can he love someone who may live only once, and will Ana's enemies—human and creature alike—let them be together? Ana needs to uncover the mistake that gave her someone else's life, but will her quest threaten the peace of Heart and destroy the promise of reincarnation for all?

Jodi Meadows expertly weaves soul-deep romance, fantasy, and danger into an extraordinary tale of new life.

~*~Lili's Reflections~*~

I knew I had to read this book once I saw the amazing cover, but the story within its pages is just as beautiful. This is the story of Ana, a new soul living among souls that have been reincarnated for thousands of years. At age seventeen, she's still a baby. And this is her journey to discovery.

This book had everything. Happiness, fighting, sadness, science, lore, music, and everything in-between. Did I mention it has dragons, too? It has freaking dragons! Couple this together with Meadows's amazing writing style and you have a read that you cannot wait to finish.

The characterization in this novel is certainly strong. I found myself loving characters with all my heart and hating some with every fiber of my being. Both Ana and Sam are truly amazing. Ana is so young and special, but she'll save everyone. At first, she thinks so little of herself, but she certainly learns that she does have self-worth and isn't something pretty to look at that can easily be gotten rid of like a butterfly. At times, she comes off as unappreciative, but it seems as if she struggles to grasp a lot of concepts because she spent her entire life being separated from Heart. Sam is the most understand love interest I have ever come across. He's got a distinct fear of dragons, but will do anything for Ana and I love that about him. His musical talents are breathtaking as well. I found him to be completely adorable and their romance was entirely believable. The last character I want to mention is Li. You will hate her with a fiery passion for the way she raised Ana and led her to think so little of herself. Her mothering techniques are tragic and she can be bought off. I've rarely come across a character that I have such little respect for, but this is part of the reason I love this book so much. Even the characters that I am meant to hate elicit strong emotions within me. That's a sign of amazing writing.

What I loved most about this story is the emphasis on music. It uses music as a way to connect people, to calm the characters and allow the passion to flow. It brings the inner songbird out in everyone and it is a reoccurring theme throughout the novel.

I haven't come across a plot so original and rich with different elements. The unique twist of souls being reincarnated in different genders doing different things was fascinating. The underlying messages shown throughout the novel are morals not to be forgotten. And the thought behind such great complexities that weave together purposely cannot go unappreciated. It's both science fiction and fantasy with realism twisting in and out of the scenes like magic. 

This book is definitely a favorite of this year and I cannot wait to pick up its sequel on its release date. I recommend this to anyone who likes a journey to self-discovery with large fantasy elements thrown in. This is also a story for any romance lover.

~*~Cover~*~

This is definitely one of my favorite covers of all time. It's so gorgeous. When I first saw it, I knew I had to read the story within its pages. The butterfly is a huge point in the story, showing how Ana believes she's beautiful for now, but only temporary, not meant to be reincarnated like everyone else. She was simply a butterfly.

 
 
 5 stars

~*~Links~*~

1 comment: