Author: Josephine Angelini
- Series: Starcrossed #1
- Published: May 31, 2011
- Publisher: HarperTEEN
- Reading Level: Young Adult
- Pages: 487 pages (ARC)
- Source: Gifted
- Set on the island of
Nantucket, STARCROSSED tells the tale of Helen Hamilton, a young woman
whose destiny is forever altered when she meets Lucas Delos and tries to
kill him in front of her entire high school. Which is terribly
inconvenient, not only because Lucas is the most beautiful boy on the
island, but also because Helen is so achingly shy she suffers physical
pain whenever she is given too much attention.
Making matters worse, Helen is beginning to suspect she’s going crazy. Whenever she’s near Lucas or any member of his family she sees the ghostly apparitions of three women weeping bloody tears, and suffers the burden of an intense and irrational hate. She soon learns that she and Lucas are destined to play the leading roles in a Greek tragedy that the Three Fates insist on repeating over and over again throughout history. Like her namesake, Helen of Troy, she’s destined to start a war by falling in love. But even though Lucas and Helen can see their own star-crossed destiny, they’re still powerfully attracted to each other. Will they give up their personal happiness for the greater good, or risk it all to be together?
- ~*~Lili's Reflections~*~
- Greek mythology is something that I really enjoy, so I was looking forward to this book. Once I obtained it, I completely devoured it! I found all aspects of the book to be really interesting, such as the several different houses and one houses desire for power. And all of this is placed on Nantucket! I know, of all places, Nantucket is not the place that I would think some demigods can battle each other, but it truly did help the story!
- The main character, Helen, was incredibly interesting as well. She was just a normal girl, or at least she thought she was. She happened to be incredibly fast when she ran and could never find jeans that properly fit her long legs, but hey, I'm a tall girl too and I have the same problem! Then, the Delos family comes back to town and everything changes. The normal girl that we thought Helen was is no more. Instead, she's a powerful demigod and nobody knows where she comes from, what house she belongs to, and the true extent of her powers.
- I loved the entire cast of demigods in this book. Each one had amazing powers that were totally unique and somehow helped the plot along perfectly. I thought it was a nice touch to have such an element constant throughout the progression of the story.
- I have to say that one thing I had a problem with was the romance in this story. While I did love it, I didn't like how it began. Obviously, the summary hints about their very first encounter. It was so sudden that I was the tiniest bit put off by it. Then I was really surprised that everything was so intense between Helen and Lucas after that. They went from attempts to kill each other to the need to fight an intense attraction for each other. Of course, as we begin to truly learn some things about them it all falls into place, but I think that aspect of the story could have been executed differently.
- All in all, this was an awesome story. I really felt for the characters! I didn't want anything bad to happen to them and every time one of them got upset or hurt, my heart broke for them. I truly adored Lucas and can't wait to see what him and Helen do in their future--forbidden love at its finest. Aside from some characters being too quick to trust others, I can't find any faults in this awesome tale rich with mythology. I can't wait to pick up the second book to continue Lucas and Helen's story!
- I love this cover. It very much hints at the mythological retelling and the background is gorgeous. Great choice.
- 4 stars
- |Amazon|Goodreads|Book Depository|Barnes and Noble|Author's Website|