Review: Storm

Author: Brigid Kemmerer
  • Series: Elemental #1
  • Published: April 24, 2012
  • Publisher: Kensington
  • Reading Level: Young Adult
  • Pages: 353 pages (Paperback)
  • Source: Library
  •  
~*~Summary~*~
 Becca Chandler is suddenly getting all the guys - all the ones she doesn't want. Ever since her ex-boyfriend spread those lies about her. Then she saves Chris Merrick from a beating in the school parking lot. Chris is different. Way different: he can control water just like his brothers can control fire, wind, and earth. They're powerful. Dangerous. Marked for death.

And now that she knows the truth, so is Becca.

Secrets are hard to keep when your life's at stake. When Hunter, the mysterious new kid around school, turns up with a talent for being in the wrong place at the right time, Becca thinks she can trust him. But then Hunter goes head-to-head with Chris, and Becca wonders who's hiding the most dangerous truth of all.

The storm is coming.

~*~Lili's Reflections~*~

What an amazing start to a series with nothing but promise!

Becca just happens to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, doing the wrong thing even though it's the right thing to do. Confusing? Yeah, I know. She saved a boy from getting beat up and that boy happened to be Chris Merrick--a guy with many people out to kill his family because they are powerful Elementals. Chris just happens to have an affinity for water. Because of this, she immediately had a target on her back and everything spiraled out of control.

The characterization in this novel is strong. I really enjoyed the family dynamics among the Merrick brothers. Michael is really doing everything in his power to help his brothers. Nick and Gabriel balance each other out and Chris is the little brother that they all look out for and love, even though he always seems to have some type of problem chasing him. 

Becca was a very interesting main character. As a reader, we were able to come to conclusions a lot quicker than her, though. And while she is incredibly tough for half the book, she isn't in other parts of the book. It's almost as if she's tough when she doesn't have to be and she's not when she should be. This was slightly frustrating to me.

My one qualm with this book was the slight love triangle and the predictability. It felt very back and forth. It was always Chris or Hunter. Both had secrets, but Becca loved them both. And while I enjoyed them both, I was always rooting for Chris. He was a hero and risked his life to save her when some evil people from her past came back to haunt her. Not going to explain how, you'll find that out when you read, but that was one other small point of the book that knocked this down from a 5 star rating. I get that dealing with pure Elementals can lead you to extremes, but taking it that far? That's a little twisted. It's as if this entire town is insane, but I can never walk away from it. I simple must know what happens to the Merrick brothers!

As you can tell, I really enjoyed this book and I do recommend it to any fantasy lover looking for some action, awesome character development, and a really sweet romance because the characters have trouble accepting their feelings for each other at first. Chris Merrick is definitely one to dream about! 

~*~Cover~*~

I like how the cover has all four Merrick brothers on it since this series is their story, but Chris is up front since this is his specific installment. The fan in me is sort of bummed that the twins don't really look like twins. While Gabriel is clearly on the left, Nick should look more like him then he does. Michael in the background looks as protective as he should be. Though, I'm now convinced that these aren't the people that I think they are! Interesting. I'm glad all the covers in this series follow the same path!


 4.5 stars

~*~Links~*~

4 comments:

  1. I'm dying to meet these hot elemental Merrick brothers! I've heard great things so far. I hate love triangles and it sounds like Chris is the guy from the beginning. She saves him and they bond. I also like when covers in a series match and follow the same path. I do like these covers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by my review of Storm! I also gave Spark 5 stars, I thought it was better than the first one! I wrote my review of Storm after reading Spark and I constantly ended up thinking about Spark! I agree with you on the predictability. I liked it going that way so I didn't mind as much in the end :) Did you also read the enovellas? They're amazing too, especially Elemental, that's Micheals story. So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to read it, but I don't have any money to buy books at the moment! >_<

      Delete
  3. After reading your review, I am finally going to admit that I need to read Storm. I have heard entirely too many good things about this series for me not to check it out for myself. Thanks for being the kick in the butt I needed!

    ReplyDelete