Review: Tangled Tides

Author: Karen Amanda Hooper
  • Series: The Sea Monster Memoirs #1
  • Published: November 4, 2011
  • Publisher: Rhemalda Publishing
  • Reading Level: Young Adult
  • Pages: 328 pages (Kindle ebook)
  • Source: Won
  •  
~*~Summary~*~
Yara Jones doesn't believe in sea monsters-until she becomes one. When a hurricane hits her island home and she wakes up with fins, Yara finds herself tangled up in an underwater world of mysterious merfolk and secretive selkies. Both sides believe Yara can save them by fulfilling a broken promise and opening the sealed gateway to their realm, but they are battling over how it should be done. The selkies want to take her life. The merfolk want something far more precious.

Treygan, the stormy-eyed merman who turned Yara mer, will stop at nothing and sacrifice everything to protect his people-until he falls for Yara. The tides turn as Yara fights to save herself, hundreds of sea creatures, and the merman who has her heart. She could lose her soul in the process-or she might open the gateway to a love that's deeper than the oceans.


 
~*~Lili's Refletions~*~

I was oddly fascinated by this book. I didn't expect to like it as much as I did, but at the same time, I'm aware that it did have some flaws. With all of that being said, if a story can keep me flipping the pages, I'm obviously willing to overlook those flaws.
The plot in this story is actually really interesting. Yara is turned into a mermaid during a storm because she has mermaid blood in her. She's supposed to be the one that can open the gate that closed and stranded both selkies and mermaids on the planet when a deal with the gorgons went awry. Thus, this novel is insanely rich with not only mermaid lore, but mythology and the lore of other creatures like selkies and bird-like sirens.

Yara is an extremely headstrong character. She doesn't trust easily, her attitude tends to go back and forth often, but she has a good heart and will always do what is best. Treygan is also an amazing character and strong love interest. He enjoys Yara's presence and all of her quirks, but he knows he can't be with her. He does his best to stay away, but in the end, true love is simply too strong. Rownan is conniving, but his heart is in the right place in the end. You will love him then hate him then love him again. The story is told from these three perspectives. All characters have a unique voice and it truly added to the story, hearing their different thoughts on the same situation or the hardships they endured to help someone else.




With all of these elements thrown together, you would think that you'd have a decent story! The problem is that they weren't fully executed or they were executed at the wrong time. A lot of the characters ended up having odd relations to each other, sometimes the familial type. When such a huge piece of information is revealed, it just happens. There's no hints, it's not super climactic, but it means so much to the character. After a while, I got sick of the everyone being related to everyone and indebted to this person or connected to this person etc etc. It was a bit tiring and constantly made all the characters think that they were being lied to. I also thought some parts of the story were rather childish. When you're spending the last few days that you potentially may ever spend with the love of your life, the first thing on your mind shouldn't be a pillow fight. Lastly, the ending was supposed to be such a huge deal. The entire book built up to it and I felt as if the hype was for nothing. I understand the gravity of the situation, but I expected it to be so much more than it was after hundreds of pages of build-up.


With all of that being said, I truly enjoyed the mix of all of the possible sea monsters imaginable and I'm a sucker for any story with strong lore in it. Sirens, gorgons, selkies, mermaids, gods and more, this story will certainly make anyone with a desire for mythology happy. It is a light, entertaining read, but it didn't blow me away. A lot of its plot points could have been executed different, making a book that could have been great, only good. Thus, this book is getting 3.5 stars.

I will be continuing the series, though I am not tripping over myself for the sequel. It is certainly one that I will be looking forward as its release date approaches, though. 


~*~Cover~*~

I understand the whole mermaid thing on the cover, but it could have been done so much better. This is just a weird cover and Yara's hallmarks look completely fake. I don't like it that much.

 


3.5 stars

 
~*~Links~*~

1 comment:

  1. I love mermaids and I want to read every mermaid book possible. I find it interesting that so many mythological creature are in this book, and I hate that you said the ending is sort of anticlimactic. I hate it when you have all that build up and it just doesn't satisfy you.

    ReplyDelete