Review: Touch

Author: Jus Accardo
  • Series: Denazen #1
  • Published: October 9, 2011
  • Publisher: Entangled Publishing
  • Reading Level: Young Adult
  • Pages: 251 pages (paperback)
  • Source: Bought
  •  
~*~Summary~*~

When a strange boy tumbles down a river embankment and lands at her feet, seventeen-year-old adrenaline junkie Deznee Cross snatches the opportunity to piss off her father by bringing the mysterious hottie with ice blue eyes home.

Except there’s something off with Kale. He wears her shoes in the shower, is overly fascinated with things like DVDs and vases, and acts like she’ll turn to dust if he touches her. It’s not until Dez’s father shows up, wielding a gun and knowing more about Kale than he should, that Dez realizes there’s more to this boy—and her father’s “law firm”—than she realized.

Kale has been a prisoner of Denazen Corporation—an organization devoted to collecting “special” kids known as Sixes and using them as weapons—his entire life. And, oh yeah, his touch? It kills. The two team up with a group of rogue Sixes hellbent on taking down Denazen before they’re caught and her father discovers the biggest secret of all. A secret Dez has spent her life keeping safe.

A secret Kale will kill to protect.


~*~Lili's Reflections~*~

To say that I enjoyed this book would be an understatement. I absolutely loved it. Filled with plot twists at every turn, it kept me on my toes. Accardo's beautiful writing did not disappoint.

We begin the book by meeting Dez on her way home from a party. Minutes into her walk home, an odd boy stumbles down an embankment in the woods and demands to wear her shoes. Knowing that it'll infuriate her father, she brings him home, only to have her father pull a gun on them both when he discovers Kale in his home. Immediately, Dez's life will forever change.

My favorite thing about this novel was Kale's characterization. He spent his entire life working for and being tortured by Denazen so he was completely fascinated by the outside world and clueless on how to do things. He was like a blind child given eyes for the very first time. He simply couldn't get enough. He just wanted to feel and know and because of this, I really enjoyed his childish wonder mixed with his fierce warrior pride in the face of danger because of the training he received at Denazen. Because of this, the romance in the novel was slow-blossoming and full of really adorable misunderstandings on Kale's part.

Dez's character was slightly frustrating. Though I loved her and her cool punk style, she was too quick to believe everything and everyone that presented a decent argument to her. She tended to act on impulse and go along with almost every plan presented in the story. She was such a smart girl, so you just wished that she could take a step back and think some things through.

As for her Dad, don't even get me started. He embodies the word evil. He's incredibly unpredictable, but he's so important to the story. I hated reading about him, but was fascinated with the part he played.

All in all, this was truly a great read. A lot of what happened was unexpected and the characters evolved amazingly as the story progressed. Accardo pulled me in from the first chapter and held me captive until the very end. I couldn't put the book down! 4.5 stars to this awesome novel, I just wish some of the characters had a tiny bit more common sense and a few of the plot twists were more fleshed out near the end. 

~*~Cover~*~

I can't say that I'm feeling this cover. I like the background, but Kale on the cover just doesn't look right. I know he's supposed to be deadly and angry, but after reading the book I'm used to the sweet, loving side of him that is shocked about the usual everyday human objects. Plus, I imagined his hair slightly longer. All in all, this cover doesn't scream "warm and inviting."


4.5 stars

~*~Links~*~ 


|Amazon|Goodreads|Book Depository|Barnes and Noble|Author's Website|

7 comments:

  1. I actually have this book, but I haven't gotten around to reading it. I think it's the cover, like you said. It just doesn't hit me like other covers. I'm glad you enjoyed it! I'll be moving it up on my TBR pile for sure :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, excited to see what you think!

      Delete
  2. I haven't hear a lot about this book, but your review makes me want to read it!

    Kate @ Ex Libris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed it and recommend picking it up if you ever have the time (:

      Delete
  3. I am so glad I got to read this post. This is so going on my to read list :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard of Touch before but it isn't a book that has been around the blogosphere much so I haven't read a lot of reviews. It looks like I may just need to read Touch and get another review out there for it if it is that good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the review. The book sound fantastic!

    ReplyDelete