Review: Dreamless

Author: Josephine Angelini
  • Series: Starcrossed #2
  • Published: May 29, 2012
  • Publisher: HarperTeen
  • Reading Level: Young Adult
  • Pages: 487 pages (ARC)
  • Source:Gifted  

~*~Summary~*~
Can true love be forgotten?

As the only scion who can descend into the Underworld, Helen Hamilton has been given a nearly impossible task. By night she wanders through Hades, trying to stop the endless cycle of revenge that has cursed her family. By day she struggles to overcome the fatigue that is rapidly eroding her sanity. Without Lucas by her side, Helen is not sure she has the strength to go on.

Just as Helen is pushed to her breaking point, a mysterious new Scion comes to her rescue. Funny and brave, Orion shields her from the dangers of the Underworld. But time is running out--a ruthless foe plots against them, and the Furies' cry for blood is growing louder.

As the ancient Greek world collides with the mortal one, Helen's sheltered life on Nantucket descends into chaos. But the hardest task of all will be forgetting Lucas Delos.

Josephine Angelini's compelling saga becomes ever more intricate and spellbinding as an unforgettable love triangle emerges and the eternal cycle of revenge intensifies. Eagerly awaited, this sequel to the internationally bestselling "Starcrossed" delivers a gritty, action-packed love story that exceeds all expectations.

~*~Lili's Reflections~*~

This book was much better than its prequel. The character development, especially Hector's, was superb, the plot growth was interesting, and the new characters were enticing. I found this one to be a much easier read that I didn't want to put down.

Again, what I really adored about this book was the heavy focus on mythology. And though it was much of the same stories this time, this one had an extreme focus on the Underworld and Helen's travels in it as the Descender, as well as her meetings with many other people and creatures in the Underworld. I often found myself waiting for her to go to sleep because as awesome as her real-world efforts were this time around, the Underworld brought about a world including so much magnificent detail. It was pretty cool that we got to meet kickass Gods like Hades and Persephone, too.

What made this book more bearable than its prequel was the fact that Helen grew in this one. She was literally carrying the weight of the world on her shoulders and refused to allow it to make her shrink. Instead, she prospered and grew stronger, determined to follow through with her quest and to save everyone. She wasn't the whiny lovestruck girl we met in book one.

Lastly, I have to applaud Angelini for bettering her plot progression. I didn't feel like characters were doing things impulsively at every turn like they were last book. Everything made sense or was foreshadowed. While there are still plot twists galore in this one, they were executed more thoroughly and all plot points were fully fleshed out instead of being forgotten. 

I was a little worried about this book because it had the makings of a love triangle between the new character, Orion, Helen, and Lucas. In the end, I'm glad to admit it wasn't anything insane, though I'm not sure what the next book will hold. I loved Orion's character, he was genuinely helpful and intelligent, but he always seemed to pop up everywhere randomly. At times he was a little out of place and other times you couldn't be more thrilled that he popped in to save the day. Either way, this shows hints of Angelini's tendency to randomly drop characters where they need to be without much of an explanation. I really hope that this doesn't continue in the next book.

With everything being said, I did enjoy this one more than it's prequel, but it did have a few problems. With Angelini's writing style improving, I'm even more excited to see what happens in the next book. It can only get better from here because the plot continues to thicken! 

~*~Cover~*~

I do really enjoy the covers in this series. I have to say I like the prequel's more just because I prefer blue to pink, but I do think this cover is pretty. It sticks with the theme set for the series and it is very appealing to the eye. It also has a sense of mythology to it because of the choice of clothing. Fits the story!

 
 
 4.25 stars

~*~Links~*~ 

8 comments:

  1. Awesome review! I've got an ARC of this but i never really finished it, i just couldn't pull myself through it

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book. I actually didn't feel like this was a book where the female was torn between two guys though. She knows where her heart is. I really like Orion. He's such a sweet guy, and I want to see more of him. With the story heading towards its conclusion and the plot heating up, it won't be long now until everything comes to a head. I can't wait for book three!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! I love your blog design. I never saw the old one, but just know that I'm insanely jealous of this one. :)

    I liked this book so much more than the first, because it did seem like Helen was a whiny love-struck girl, who was easily lead, and I just almost couldn't stand her!

    But this one, I loved this one! Dhe grew so much, and her character development was superb, and well, I couldn't put it down! Great review. :)

    Megan@ The Book Babe

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one is on my TBR pile. Towards the top. Loved the first book, although, I've read mixed reviews on the series in general. Still, I'm excited to read it and will formulate my own opinion.
    Glad you liked it!
    Tammy @ http://bosbooknook.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG I am reading the first one and I am soo loving it :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love books based on Greek Mythology and glad to hear that it had well thought out character and even an interesting love triangle. I just never get tired of those:) Thanks for your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have this series, I just need to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will say that it is a MUST READ! I went through the gamut of emotions with this one--happiness, sadness, anger, disbelief, more anger, and a little (okay a lot) of lust :) Shame on me (hehe) or shame on Angelini for writing such a wonderfully addictive novel!
    Towncar Service

    ReplyDelete