Review: Incarnation

Author: Emma Cornwall
Publication Date: September 18, 2012
Publisher: Gallery Books
Reading Level: Young Adult
Pages: 332 (ARC)
Source: Gifted

~*~Summary~*~
In the steampunk world of Victorian London, a beautiful vampire seeks out the author of Dracula–to set the record straight . . . If one is to believe Bram Stoker’s legendary vampire tale, Lucy Weston is Dracula’s most wanton creation, a sexual creature of the night who preys on innocent boys. But the real-life Lucy is nothing like her fictional counterpart—and she demands to know why the Victorian author deliberately lied. With Stoker’s reluctant help, she’s determined to track down the very fiend who transformed her—from the sensual underworld where humans vie to become vampires, to a hidden cell beneath a temple to madness, and finally into the glittering Crystal Palace where death reigns supreme.

Haunted by fragmentary memories of her lost life and love, Lucy must battle her thirst for blood as she struggles to stop a catastrophic war that will doom vampires and humans alike. Ultimately, she must make a choice that illuminates for her—and for us—what it means to be human.
~*~Lili's Reflections~*~

Can I just say that Lisa is beyond awesome for sending this book to me? I couldn't get enough of it and I'm so happy that this somehow found its way into my hands.

I was lost in Victorian London from page one. This paranormal story took me on an amazing adventure, illuminating the creatures that go bump in the night while Lucy struggles to understand what it means to be human. The historical fiction aspect of this novel was done amazingly and I can honestly say that I've never come across a vampire novel quite like this one.

We all know that a few years ago, vampires exploded onto the YA scene with flare. Since then, they fell into a ton of cliches that all books about vampires seemed to fall prey to, so it was a pleasant surprise to see that INCARNATION is so unique. This is a vampire story unlike any other and has effectively restored my faith in the paranormal creature that I used to love so dearly, but learned to hate due to the lack of originality that tended to come with its respective tale, abilities, and creation. But the originality in this story is off the charts. Bram Stoker writing DRACULA just to cover up what truly happened to Lucy? Brilliant!

The plot in this book will capture you from the get-go. The book begins with Lucy finding herself buried in a coffin, a stake through her heart, and we're with her as she claws her way through the dirt to emerge from her makeshift grave and recover the lost secrets of her past. Not only is Lucy an amazing main character, struggling to sustain her humanity in a world where humans were nothing but toys and live bait, but she's relatable and will stop at nothing to do what she thinks is right. She's accepting and kind despite the despicable creature she was transformed to. Basically, she's a respectable character and a great vessel to experience emotion through as a reader. She's sharp and fearless, the type of heroine that is impossible to hate. With a strong supporting cast, Lucy and her crew are truly unforgettable characters.

The plot twists in this book are plentiful and I was forced to flip pages at lightning speed. Not the least bit predictable, I was often shocked and excited all at once when a new twist was thrown my way. When we learn more of her maker and why he went to such extremes to create her against her will, we're thrust into a world on the brink of war that could lead to all of humanity being overrun by creatures of the night. And it's up to Lucy to save London before it's too late.

This book is truly amazing. Factually accurate and immensely intriguing, I couldn't put it down. This will satisfy any historical fiction and fantasy lover that likes their stories to have a slight, underlying dark twist. I hope that this will turn into the series because I'm not ready to let go of Lucy, her love interest, and her maker just yet. And once you read this book, you won't be able to either. Full of mystery, strong characters, amazing historical references, and a romance that can't help but make you smile, I definitely recommend this to just about anyone.

 
4 stars

~*~Links~*~

|Amazon|Goodreads|Book Depository|Barnes and Noble|Author's Profile|

4 comments:

  1. I haven't heard much about this one, but I'm so happy to hear it's good! I'm not always the biggest fan of Vampire books, but it sounds like Emma does it the right way in this one. Plus I'm always up for a good historical setting. Thanks for the awesome review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you really liked this one. The blurb is intriguing and I am really looking forward to reading it. Glad to know it is worth my time. Thanks for writing such a well-written review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m dying to a copy of this book!! It’s been on my to-read-wish-list. Hopefully soon I’ll snag a copy. Wonderful review! This book will be a refreshing change of pace for me. Well, for the moment that is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just won this and can't wait to read it! You just put it higher on my read list! Thanks for your thoughts:)

    ReplyDelete