Review: Eve and Adam

Authors: Michael Grant and Katherine Applegate
Publication Date: October 2, 2012
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Reading Level: Young Adult
Pages: 304 (ARC)
Source: Publisher

~*~Summary~*~
Sixteen-year-old Evening Spiker lives an affluent life in San Francisco with her mother, EmmaRose, a successful geneticist and owner of Spiker Biotech. Sure, Evening misses her father who died mysteriously, but she’s never really questioned it. Much like how she’s never stopped to think how off it is that she’s never been sick. That is, until she’s struck by a car and is exposed to extensive injuries. Injuries that seem to be healing faster than physically possible.

While recuperating in Spiker Biotech’s lush facilities, she meets Solo Plissken, a very attractive, if off-putting boy her age who spent his life at Spiker Biotech. Like Evening, he’s never questioned anything... until now. Solo drops hints to Evening that something isn’t right, and Emma-Rose may be behind it. Evening puts this out of her mind and begins her summer internship project: To simulate the creation of the perfect boy. With the help of Solo, Evening uncovers secrets so big they could change the world completely.
~*~Lili's Reflections~*~

I can't say that this book was what I thought it would be. While the summary is pretty accurate, this book fell short of my expectations.

A quick and easy read, this book can only be described as simple. It gets straight to the point, not detail required, but it's predictable and lacks character development. I felt as if Eve accepted things way too easily. On top of that, I just didn't like her. Nothing about her stood out to me. Her personality can only be described as average even though her health is extraordinary. I liked Solo more than her, but even he had very little character development and things instead focused on his revenge of the company. As a reader, I felt very little emotion from them. They might as well have been robots at different points throughout the story. Then, there's the problem that other characters in the book are simply insane and go overboard because we need a villain and this husband-wife duo decided to make a villain that had no motivation to be evil besides random bursts in insanity that could possibly be attributed to his continuous weed habit.

 As far as the plot goes, I wasn't impressed either, though some parts fascinated me. The explanation of the use of genetics in designing your own person was really interesting to me because genetics have always been that one thing in biology that I could never get enough of. Since I am currently taking an ethics class, I was really fascinated by the ethical questions that arise in the plot as well. If you could save your daughter from death by administering a serum against her well that will inexplicably alter her forever but keep her in your lives, would you? Would you create the perfect human being to blindly follow you around and do whatever you say even though they're not truly real? This aspect of the novel really gets you thinking, which is why I added an extra half star onto my rating. Aside from these two points, I found the plot to be predictable and unoriginal and the attempts at humor fell flat. If a guy gave me the opportunity to drop trou or hike up my pants after I barely knew him, odds are that I'd probably slap him instead of dropping trou and then reflecting on how embarrassed I am that my panties aren't my nicest pair.

This book fell prey to a lot of young adult cliches. For example, girl has boy right under her nose, meets other legitimately perfect boy, dumps perfect boy for imperfect boy that's always been there but she needed perfect boy in her life to realize how important imperfect boy really is. Then there's the slutty best friend that loves talking about sex and drinking lemon vodka even though our main character is her polar opposite and as rigid as they come. 

I do enjoy sci-fi, though I am not a die hard sci-fi fan. This book will appeal more to those die hard fans that love a fast, quick read that isn't super intense, though it does have an awesome amount of explanation put forward about genetics and ethics. Aside from that, I really wouldn't recommend this to anyone unless they're at their local library looking for a quick read to satisfy they're extra time. I would go into this one with neutral expectations so that you're not disappointed the way I was. The hype around this one, in my opinion, made its fall from grace that much harder once I read the book and realized how disappointed I was.


2.5 stars

~*~Links~*~

5 comments:

  1. I'm about 2/3's of the way through with this book, and I'm finding I agree with you a lot. It's definitely fast and fun, with some interesting science stuff, but nothing amazing. Great review!

    Debz @ Debz Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww sorry you didn't like this one too much, I was really looking forward to this one! I figured that it would have a lot of cliches though. ):

    Thanks for your honesty!

    Amber Elise @ Du Livre

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely felt a lot of the same things as you. I liked the parts you liked, with the actual genetics and creating your own person. But I had issues with the characters and plot at times too. Great review! :)

    ~Sara @ Forever 17 Books

    ReplyDelete
  4. 2.4 stars?!?! Noooo! But I've been wanting to read this SO bad! How disappointing that it wasn't fantabulously amazing like I expected it would be :/

    The review is definitely amazing though! It's hard to imagine you're a high schooler too :D

    Ana

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen this book at the library and wasnt sure if i should read it. This review helped me decide!

    ReplyDelete