Review: Luminosity

Author: Stephanie Thomas
Series: Raven Chronicles #1
Publication Date: November 13, 2012
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Reading Level: Young Adult
Pages: 296 (eARC)
Source: E-book for Blog Tour
 My name is Beatrice. When I was born, I was blessed with the Sight. I was immediately removed from my parents and enrolled in the Institution. At the age of twelve, I had my first true vision, earning my raven’s wings. And when I turned seventeen, one of my visions came true. Things haven’t been the same since.

The Institution depends on me to keep the City safe from our enemy, the Dreamcatchers, but I’m finding it harder to do while keeping a secret from everyone, including my best friend Gabe. It is a secret that could put us all in danger. A secret that could kill me and everyone close to me.

But the enemy has been coming to me in my dreams, and I think I’m falling in love with him. He says they’re coming. He says they’re angry. And I think I’ve already helped them win.
~*~Lili's Reflections~*~

I was really excited when I found out that I would be able to take part in this blog tour, and this book totally lived up to my expectations. This is a quick read that can be knocked down in mere hours that you do not want to miss.

Set in a futuristic time where a war demolished practically the entire world, the plot in this book is incredibly imaginative. Seers can see the future. They are identified by their violet eyes at birth and are then surrendered to the Institution so that they can learn to protect themselves and channel their abilities to See to protect the unskilled citizens living in the city that the Institution calls home. Beatrice is a star among Seers for her accurate, intense, and clear visions that have never been wrong. Their enemies are the Dreamcatchers. They, too, have violet eyes and special abilities, but instead of seeing in the future, they see into the past. They harvest dreams for what they once were and make sure they are never forgotten.

The pacing of this book is amazing as well, once you hurdle through the beginning. I have to say that I struggled with the first fifth of the book because it truly did jump right into things. While I was getting to know Bea, I was thrown into a world that I didn't understand full of people with unique abilities and unique sayings that I couldn't quite grasp because there wasn't much explanation about the past. The explanations came slightly too late in the book and if they were more towards the beginning, it would have left little room for confusion.

My one big qualm is that there is a slight love triangle. While I loved Bea's seriousness and focus, I had trouble with her thought processes simply when it came to boys because she was stuck between two. They were both incredibly different and had completely different purposes in her life and she was constantly waffling between them dictated by whoever currently held her attention. I didn't like it, and I felt as if that one wrong point ruined the story for me. Oddly enough, I do agree with her overall decision at the end of the story because of the description of the feelings she experienced with both boys. As unconventional as it seems, her chosen love seemed to be the right one.

I highly recommend this one to whoever wishes to read it. It's quick and easy to get through, though be warned that there is death in it. If you do not like death, this is not a book for you. It does take place in the middle of a war, after all. The book left off in the perfect place. The ending served it's purpose and keeps us eagerly waiting for book two without leaving us hanging. Thomas's debut is definitely one worth reading if you ever have the time.

 
4 stars

~*~Links~*~
|Amazon|Goodreads|Book Depository|Barnes and Noble|Author's Website|

Look at the next post if you would like to see my dream cast for LUMINOSITY and enter for your chance to win!

3 comments:

  1. I actually don't mind love triangles, but I don't like waffling. But this sounds so interesting. Thanks for the review and for linking up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When love triangles are done right they can be really fun to read. This one sounds good I'm glad I stopped by. Thanks for the review!
    Brittany

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't heard a ton about this one, but the things that I have heard have been very positive. That is a great thing, because I was lucky enough to win a copy a while back, and have been looking forward to reading it since. Hearing that the pacing is great, and the characters too, makes my day. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete