Review: The Spindlers

Author: Lauren Oliver
Publication Date: October 2, 2012
Publisher: HarperCollins
Reading Level: Middle-Grade
Pages: 246 (ARC)
Source: Won
One night when Liza went to bed, Patrick was her chubby, stubby, candy-grubbing and pancake-loving younger brother, who irritated and amused her both, and the next morning, when she woke up, he was not. In fact, he was quite, quite different.

When Liza's brother, Patrick, changes overnight, Liza knows exactly what has happened: The spindlers have gotten to him and stolen his soul.

She knows, too, that she is the only one who can save him.

To rescue Patrick, Liza must go Below, armed with little more than her wits and a broom. There, she uncovers a vast world populated with talking rats, music-loving moles, greedy troglods, and overexcitable nids . . . as well as terrible dangers. But she will face her greatest challenge at the spindlers' nests, where she encounters the evil queen and must pass a series of deadly tests--or else her soul, too, will remain Below forever.

From "New York Times" best-selling author Lauren Oliver comes a bewitching story about the reaches of loyalty, the meaning of love, and the enduring power of hope.
~*~Lili's Reflections~*~

I have a confession...this is the first book written by Lauren Oliver that I have ever read, and after reading it I am kicking myself repeatedly for not picking up any of her young adult books sooner. If she's known for her young adult writing and her middle grade books are amazing, I'm going to go ahead and venture by saying she must be close to a literary genius.

This book is so incredibly imaginative and creative that there's no proper way to put my thoughts into words. Liza, a strong girl despite her young age, ventures into the scary and unknown Below to save her brother's soul from the evil spider-like Spindlers before it's too late. In Below, nothing is impossible. Along her detailed and fantastical journey, we meet unique creatures and the beautifully scatter-brained and rather large rat, Mirabella, that helps teach us the true value of friendship. I also noticed she serves as a vessel for the moral that people don't judge you for your looks, but who you are as a person. This book is full of morals, in all honesty, making it a must read for young, budding readers.

This is also a quick read that took me less than two hours to get through because I was easily able to flip the pages eagerly. It's rather light and whimsical at times while other characters are rather evil, but regardless of what obstacle Liza encounters, she fights through everything and continues to take you on a beautifully detailed and fast paced journey with a plot that keeps moving along without a single bump in the road. With informative trials and tribulations and the smallest hint of darker, magical areas and beings, this is one book not to be missed.

Oliver writes this adventure beautifully, showcasing a playful and fun yet descriptive writing style that was constant throughout the novel. The perfect read to help induce a love in reading in kids, it could find a home in your home, a library, and even a classroom. This one comes in high recommendation among the few middle-grades that I have actually read and enjoyed and its creativity, teachings, and overall cuteness can be adored by pretty much any generation.

 
4 stars

~*~Links~*~

5 comments:

  1. This sounds like the kind of book I would have gobbled up as a kid. I think I'll give it a go as an adult and then give it as a gift for my younger cousins! Great review, Lili.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks really good! I've actually seen this around but never picked it up cuz it was Middle Grade. But now I changed my mind! Definitely giving this a go!

    -Ariella @ Secrets of Lost Words

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Delirium series by Lauren Oliver and I really want to read this. You make it sound even great. I want your copy.
    -Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks really interesting, nice review!

    Lauren
    http://lrjohnson13.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read any books by Lauren Oliver either, so you can kick me too! The Spindlers is at the top of the Oliver list for me, though, and I hope to read it soon. I love MG's, and this one sounds perfect. And the cover is one of my favorite MG covers, ever. Maybe even an all time fave, ever!

    ReplyDelete