Review: Breaking Point

Author: Kristen Simmons
Series: Article 5 #2 
Publication Date: February 2, 2013 
Publisher: Tor Teen 
Reading Level: Young Adult 
Pages: 398 (ARC) 
Source: Trade
The second installment in Kristen Simmons's fast-paced, gripping YA dystopian series.

After faking their deaths to escape from prison, Ember Miller and Chase Jennings have only one goal: to lay low until the Federal Bureau of Reformation forgets they ever existed.

Near-celebrities now for the increasingly sensationalized tales of their struggles with the government, Ember and Chase are recognized and taken in by the Resistance—an underground organization working to systematically take down the government. At headquarters, all eyes are on the sniper, an anonymous assassin taking out FBR soldiers one by one. Rumors are flying about the sniper’s true identity, and Ember and Chase welcome the diversion….

Until the government posts its most-wanted list, and their number one suspect is Ember herself.

Orders are shoot to kill, and soldiers are cleared to fire on suspicion alone. Suddenly Ember can’t even step onto the street without fear of being recognized, and “laying low” is a joke. Even members of the Resistance are starting to look at her sideways.

With Chase urging her to run, Ember must decide: Go into hiding…or fight back?
~*~Lili's Reflections~*~

Where to begin, where to begin. I seriously don't know. My heart is beating a mile a minute--the same reaction that book one left me with. Kristen Simmons knows how to make a girl anxious and want to read more.

I loved this book and the dark world that Simmons created. While I never want to be part of it myself, I love immersing myself in its depths and losing myself to Ember and Chase's story. I have to say that this book was sadder than book one. There's more death, more desperation, little light at the end of the tunnel in Ember and Chase's bleak, dark world, but they persevered and kept on moving--working towards their original goals. I can respect that.

However, I have to say that I had a problem with Ember's characterization again. In my review of book one, I made a point to explain that I didn't like how Ember would take her frustration, anger, and sadness out on Chase in random outbursts that were, at times, hard to see coming. He was always there for her and in this way, she took advantage of that fact. I have to say that this happened several more times in this story, more near the beginning and thankfully less near the end. Hopefully she'll break the habit in book three. But with that being said, their romance is still strong and sweet, slow at times because of the horrible reminders of the world that they live in. I loved the passion that Simmons made a reality between the two of them.

Many characters from the past also made surprise appearances. But most surprising is a certain soldier that hurt Ember and Chase in book one returns and becomes sort of an anti-hero. You hate him, but you respect what he's trying to do at times, though you still hate him despite the fact that you're beginning to love him. It's all confusing, but his growth is immense and his character's complexity is overridden with insane complication that can't help but pull you in.

The plot in this one was full of unlimited action. I didn't think it was possible to pack so much in to less than 400 pages. My heart was constantly beating fast and I, like the characters, never had time to just breathe. But the most interesting concept of this book was the introduction of the sniper. The sniper was slowly killing off FBR soldiers and causing riots. This high-profile killer was the most wanted criminal in this novel and Ember found herself somehow being mistaken for the sniper and becoming the face of a revolution. I was fascinated by the concept of this killer and couldn't wait to find out who it was, but I have to admit that I had a few guesses from the beginning of the book and it turned out I was right. The big reveal was almost a let down. It was one of those sudden epiphany's that was just thrown into a book to keep the plot moving because you had to cover a plot point. All that build-up for a moment that was so anti-climatic that you couldn't help but be disappointed even if you knew the sniper's identity. I just wish Simmons went about such a huge revelation differently.

All in all, this book has left me completely wowed. I enjoyed it more than book two and I'm anxiously awaiting the next book because of that ending! I don't know how to describe it. It's not necessarily a cliff-hanger and it certainly ties thing up somehow, but it seemed like it came too soon. Sure, it ends this chapter of Chase and Ember's story and makes you excited for their next chapter, but I wish it was done better. It just happened to be very sudden in my opinion. Otherwise, I really have nothing else to say about this one. It was everything I hoped it would be and more and I absolutely love Krista for sending this novel my way.


4 stars 

~*~Links~*~
  |Amazon|Goodreads|Book Depository|Barnes and Noble|Author's Website|

2 comments:

  1. The world sounds great but sorry you had issues with Ember's characterizations.
    Happy reading,
    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was almost nervous to start reading your review. I loved Article 5 and I was nervous that I would scroll down and start reading and suffer a huge disappointment. Yay! I did not! And now I will be going to Amazon to order this one, asap! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete