Review: Deity

Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Series: Covenant #3
Publication Date: November 6, 2012
Publisher: Spencer Hill Press
Reading Level: Young Adult
Pages: 330 (ARC)
Source: ARCycling
"History is on repeat, and things didn't go so well the last time. "

Alexandria isn't sure she's going to make it to her eighteenth birthday--to her Awakening. A long-forgotten, fanatical order is out to kill her, and if the Council ever discovers what she did in the Catskills, she's a goner... and so is Aiden.

If that's not freaky enough, whenever Alex and Seth spend time "training"--which really is just Seth's code word for some up-close and personal one-on-one time--she ends up with another mark of the Apollyon, which brings her one step closer to Awakening ahead of schedule. Awesome.

But as her birthday draws near, her entire world shatters with a startling revelation and she's caught between love and Fate. One will do anything to protect her. One has been lying to her since the beginning. Once the gods have revealed themselves, unleashing their wrath, lives will be irrevocably changed... and destroyed.

Those left standing will discover if love is truly greater than Fate...
 ~*~Lili's Reflections~*~

Holy cow. I have no words! Jennifer L. Armentrout has done it again and by doing so made me scream so much that my Dad thought I was getting murdered. Yes, this book was just that intense and I will forever love Armentrout's ability to take me on a roller-coaster ride of emotions while shocking me to my very core.

This book jumped right into things and never took a break. The tension was thick, the love was intense, the drama was everywhere, and the plot twists were plentiful. I couldn't put this one down once I started it because so many aspects of it were so shocking. I never saw half of it coming! My mouth is still hanging open thinking about some of the plot twists.

One thing that really stood out for me in this one was Alex. She experienced a lot of self growth. She's still the stubborn, kickass heroine that we all know and love, but she's grown a lot in the sense that she can easily be admired because she spent the entire book trying to find the good in people and doing her best looking past the bad. Of course, this ended with some problems because that meant going against her gut and we all know that Alex's gut instincts are always right. But watching her grow was great. Her emotions were vivid and, at times, heart-breaking while you experienced intense happiness at other times. She was just great. And Aiden...he was pretty amazing, too. Beyond amazing, really. He was perfect. Marcus and Deacon were their usual selves with a few small revelations and the introduction of new characters was strong. But the three bombshells in this one evolved around betrayal and secrets from Leon, Linard, and Seth. The development of these three was shocking. Sure, Seth's was two books in the making, but Leon and Linard were... whoa! I also like how a certain now deceased best friend was able to make a small cameo. Well done, Ms. Armentrout, well done!

The romance in this one is more intense than any of her other books. Focusing on Aiden and Alex, Armentrout really blows your mind. She breaks your heart, patches it up, and then finds ways to make it explode with happiness. It's simply perfect and her writing reinforces my thoughts that Aiden and Alex were meant to be. Team Aiden forever!

All in all, I cannot stress how much JLA fans have to read this series. Obviously you have to read two books before you get to the amazingness that is DEITY, but DEITY is so worth it and more. Each book keeps getting better and better, and to think that DEITY is only book three out of five makes me so incredibly excited, but the ending practically has me pining for book four: APOLLYON! Insane in the good way, Armentrout takes us on a heart-stopping journey full of secret, lies, betrayal, and redemption while throwing in the humor that we all know and love from her.

Warning: this book has quite a lot of cussing in it and is not appropriate for young teens.


5 stars

~*~Links~*~

3 comments:

  1. Great review, Lili. I adored Deity just as much as you did and I can't wait to read Apollyon either. The character development in Deity was just amazing and Team Aiden forever for me too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved loved this book, and I can't wait to read Apollyon! So glad you enjoyed it. Isn't JLA the greatest?

    Jennifer
    YA Sisterhood

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the romance as well... and pretty much everything about it...
    Lovely review.
    Happy reading,
    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete