Review: Apollyon

Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Series: Covenant #4
Publication Date: April 9, 2013
Publisher: Spencer Hill Press
Reading Level: Young Adult
Pages: 360 (ARC)
Source: Publisher for Review
Fate isn’t something to mess with… and now, neither is Alex.

Alex has always feared two things: losing herself in the Awakening and being placed on the Elixir. But love has always been stronger than Fate, and Aiden St. Delphi is willing to make war on the gods—and Alex herself—to bring her back.

The gods have killed thousands and could destroy entire cities in their quest to stop Seth from taking Alex’s power and becoming the all-powerful God Killer. But breaking Alex’s connection to Seth isn’t the only problem. There are a few pesky little loopholes in the whole “an Apollyon can’t be killed” theory, and the only person who might know how to stop the destruction has been dead for centuries.

Finding their way past the barriers that guard the Underworld, searching for one soul among countless millions, and then somehow returning will be hard enough. Alex might be able to keep Seth from becoming the God Killer… or she might become the God Killer herself.
~*~Lili's Reflections~*~

Oh, God. Jennifer L. Armentrout is the master at keeping her readers on our toes. I will forever love her writing and eagerly anticipate what she has in store for us next. And though this book has yet to release, SENTINEL needs to come out, like, yesterday.


I want to start off by saying that as amazing as this book is, I don't think anything can top DEITY. In my opinion, DEITY was the best book in this series and as great as this book was, it didn't live up to the pure perfection that was DEITY. And that can be attributed to three things: the beginning and the cliff hanger ending, as well as the huge plot twist that I saw coming from a mile away but it took Alex nearly the entire book to figure out. I have never seen her so oblivious before, and that totally bummed me out because one of the things I loved about her was her lack of obliviousness. I felt as if she fell into this young adult heroine cliche only to further the plot along and drag out the mystery.


Aside from her lack of common sense surrounding the identity of the God that was aiding Seth and Lucian, Alex was amazing as always. I felt like she managed to grow even more in this one when I thought she matured to her fullest potential in DEITY. While Alex's impulsive ways will be one of the things we know, love, and hate all at once, she's begun to realize that stepping back and thinking things through will help her in the long-run. This was even acknowledged in the story itself. She also realized that she's the freaking Apollyon with kickass powers that she can wield with confidence! While Armentrout's fight scenes are always awe-inspiring, the new scenes evolving around Alex's Apollyon powers will trump all. Her self-growth and new-found confidence in this book led to a lot of the things that we knew and loved about somehow becoming exponentially better.

Another strong point of this story was the humor and the romance. Any reader of JLA knows that she knows how to deliver on both fronts. I have to say that with the humor in this one, it did get slightly sexual and even rigid characters like Marcus and Aiden were under so much stress that they had to cuss. This series never was for little kids, but in the language sense this book is the worst of all. While it does not bug me, this is not a book meant for clean readers. With that aside, the romance was extremely steamy in this one and, though I thought it was impossible, Armentrout makes us love Aiden St. Delphi even more. There are also many side romances mentioned in the last quarter of the book that will totally shock you.

The plot was action-packed and took us places that I never thought imaginable. I'm doing my best not to spoil any previous books in this review for those who have yet to read the series, but the one plot twist I can point out without ruining anything is that Alex journey to the Underworld. Seriously. The ultimate quest for survival and saving the human race by avoiding a war among the Gods forced her to seek answers in the land of death. Armentrout's love of irony and sarcasm will forever resonate with me in this sense. But, I must admit, with all of the amazing plot twists in this one, the beginning and ending of this novel could have been stronger. The ending itself was awesome, but the cliff-hanger aspect of it will slowly rip your heart in two while you wait until December for the release of the final book in the Covenant series, but the beginning....ah. Armentrout has been really religious about starting each book in this series days after the previous book leaves off. However, this book leaves you with a lot of questions because you have to read the novella, ELIXIR, to fully grasp everything in this one. While not necessary, it will lead to some initial confusion. This led to slight frustration on my part and though I knew what I was getting into after reading the ending of DEITY, the execution of connecting with the First and having him invade Alex's mind could have been produced better. For all of the previous books we've watched Alex's determination to be her own person upon Awakening grow, only to have that hope taken away from us with the first page of this one. As a reader and fan of this series, I was disappointed for the very first time. While I understand the necessity to the plot, it lessened my excitement to initially continue this one right away.

With that being said, I need to address one more character: Seth. While he does not make any direct appearances in this one, he plays a huge underlying role. His only way of communication is through Alex's mind and you can only distinguish him when he's speaking in italics. Overall, he's become even more deranged and it remains easy to hate him, yet my pity for him grew as well. This poor kid is bringing death and destruction to the planet under the belief that it will bring him love. It almost makes me wish he can find some form of redemption in the final book and such developments held my interest in this one. While the love triangle has pretty much disappeared, Seth will always be connected to Alex and her new quest will make his plans go up in flames. My eagerness for the final installment is just... overwhelming.

If you haven't picked up this series yet, you're insane. Action, romance, mythology, and a kickass heroine with a snarky attitude the size of Pluto all add up to create the most enjoyable series around for elder young adults. Jennifer L. Armentrout will never disappoint.




4.5 stars

~*~Links~*~

1 comment:

  1. I guess I'm insane then!!!! I just haven't had the time or money to get these books! O.O But I really need to read them. Maybe once the last one comes out I'll splurge on the series and buy them all. Who knows. Haha. FANTASTIC REVIEW LILI!

    XOXO, Inky

    ReplyDelete