Review: Silver

 Author: Talia Vance
Series: Bandia #1
Publication Date: September 8, 2012
Publisher: Flux
Reading Level: Young Adult
Pages: 374 (Paperback)
Source: Won
"As I step into the room, a silver flash blurs my vision. Before I can take a breath, the world falls away."

Brianna has always felt invisible. People stare right past her, including the one boy she can't resist, Blake Williams. But everything changes at a house party where Brianna's charm bracelet slips off and time stands still. In that one frozen, silver moment, Blake not only sees her, he recognizes something deep inside her she's been hiding even from herself.

Discovering she is descended from Danu, the legendary Bandia of Celtic myth, Brianna finds herself questioning the truth of who she is. And when she accidentally binds her soul to Blake, their mutual attraction becomes undeniable.

But Blake has his own secret, one that could prove deadly for them both.

Bound together by forbidden magic, Brianna and Blake find themselves at the heart of an ancient feud that threatens to destroy their lives and their love.
~*~Lili's Reflections~*~

Can I just say that I really, really enjoyed this one? I've had my eye on it for what seems like forever and it did not disappoint! Full of really interest mythology and plot twists galore, I can't imagine anyone disliking Vance's amazing fantasy review. It's really hard to not go into spoilers with this one, so I'm going to make this review short and sweet.

With a love that is destined to end in death, this romance will certainly take us on the ride of our lives. But what truly is interesting about the book is the romance. So real, it'll make your heart beat double-time in your chest. But the overall question is how much of it really is real and how much of it is fake? This is more than a simple love story. This is the story of a curse that transcends time, a coming of age for a girl who will decide the fate of the gods, and the understanding of first love as well as your role in life. This book is truly unique and stands out among the growing field of young adult mythological literature.

The pacing in this novel was superb as well. It was not too fast and not too slow, it was simply just right. And the flow of the characters and Vance's writing style made the book a breeze to read. There was very little to no confusion in the novel besides in the very beginning where it was almost necessary to the plot. It does help that the characterization was pretty awesome. The band of characters varies greatly and is beyond interesting because it almost seems as if everyone has something to hide. But that's also where my small problem with the book comes into play. At times, it felt like every time we turned the page a new character was suddenly popping out of the blue to reveal that they had hidden talents. I almost wish that the discovery of something so big was a bigger deal and carried out a bit longer. But with that in mind, I still loved the characters, even the secondary ones that did play somewhat of an important role but are still basically part of the back-story like Micah and Jeremy.

I think that this book can be enjoyed by all, but especially those who enjoy mythological and fantastical books. It's a quick read that is unique and will easily remain in your mind. I think it is safe to say that GOLD will be one of my most anticipated sequels of 2013.


4 stars

~*~Links~*~

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you liked this one! I loved it. I got to beta read Gold (book 2) for Talia, and let me tell you, it is amazing!!!!

    Jennifer
    YA Sisterhood

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo, this one sounds like a lot of fun! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. To be honest this is the first review I've actually read of Silver. It's been on my TBR for a while but I really hadn't had any reason to check it out until now. Your review has me eager to pick up my copy and get started. I love anything mythological and this one sounds right up my alley. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that it isn't just a love story, because I'm getting tired of that, but that there is more to it. I'm a sucker of mythology :D It's good to hear that the pacing is just right. Sounds like a good book!

    Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete