Introducing March Fantasy Month!

Hey everyone! I have an awesome announcement to make. For the month of March, I am taking part in a challenge with an amazing bloggy friend, Gillian. We are daring each other to read 11 fantasies, so we created March Fantasy Month!

Essentially, this amazing little masterpiece came along because we both very much love high fantasy and don’t have anyone to nerd out over our high fantasy books with besides each other. However, it became incredibly obvious to us both that high fantasy and regular fantasy books can be very polarizing. We both loved Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas, but were on completely opposite sides of the spectrum for Falling Kingdoms by Morgan Rhodes
. I loved it and she, to put it simply, pretty much despised it. So, we decided to see what other books we have in common with a fantasy challenge.

We each challenged each other to review 6 fantasy books in the month of March and then we decided on 5 that neither of us have read to review together for the first time.

So, Gillian has challenged me to read:

  • The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson
  • Seraphina by Rachel Hartman
  • Princess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day George
  • Stormdancer by Jay Kristoff
  • The Treachery of Beautiful Things by Ruth Frances Long
  • Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan

We decided on 5 high fantasy or mostly fantasy books and then one fantasy-fairytale like book for each other. So, I dared her to read:

  • Prophecy by Ellen Oh
  • Graceling by Kristin Cashore
  • Eon: Dragoneye Reborn by Alison Goodman
  • Dark Star by Bethany Frenette
  • The Assassin's Curse by Cassandra Rose Clarke
  • The Sweetest Spell by Suzanne Selfors

If you want to see our opinions on these reviews, you should follow her here
and look into my blog archive. All of these books have gotten at least 4 stars from me, aside from Prophecy that got 3 stars. I dared her to read it out of curiosity.

And lastly... books that we will both be reading for the very first time based on much agonizing deliberation between the two of us and our awesome twitter followers.

  • Kill Me Softly by Sarah Cross
  • The False Prince by Jennifer A. Nielsen
  • The Demon King by Cinda Williams Chima
  • Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder
  • The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner

This is pretty much an experiment between the two of us to see how people with such similar interests can still have different views on amazing books. We hope you enjoy the month alongside us. Who knows, if this thing is a success, we may do this again! <3

Rest assured, other posts will go up. I am obviously reviewing more than 11 books this month, but this is just the goal for our challenge. *fingers crossed I don’t fail!* However, Gillian and I have also decided to give ourselves a mulligan of sorts. We will still succeed if we only
review ten of these books this month. What we realized is that we may not be able to obtain one of the books and there's always the opportunity that we may not be able to finish one because we simply hated it. So, while we are both aiming for 11, we will still succeed with 10!

What is everyone's opinions on the challenge overall and the specific books picked? (:

5 comments:

  1. This is a great idea! I've toyed with the idea of dedicating a whole month to fantasy, because I just love the genre, but I'm too much of a mood reader to plan that strictly. But now I get to live vicariously through you!

    I'll definitely be on the lookout for your reviews of Seraphina, which is on my coming soon TBR, and of Unspoken, because I hated and I am so in the minority on that one. And Graceling is one of my all-time favorite books so I really hope Gillian loves it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome! I have The Demon King, but I always push back reading it. Your challenge will probably help you guys tackle some of the older, more popular series. Good job, Lili, for daring Gillian to read Dark Star. More people need to read that! Like stat! I still have to convince my sis :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I AM SO EXCITED FOR THE AWESOMENESS THAT IS FORTHCOMING. Also slightly frightened. So many pages to get through this month! But we can do it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a totally cool idea!!!! I love it. :D I can't wait to heard your thoughts on the books. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a cool challenge! Can't wait to read both of your reviews!

    ReplyDelete