Review: Opal

Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Series: Lux #3
Publication Date: December 11, 2012
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Reading Level: Young Adult
Pages: 382 (paperback)
Source: Personal Shelf
No one is like Daemon Black.

When he set out to prove his feelings for me, he wasn’t fooling around. Doubting him isn’t something I’ll do again, and now that we’ve made it through the rough patches, well... There’s a lot of spontaneous combustion going on.

But even he can’t protect his family from the danger of trying to free those they love.

After everything, I’m no longer the same Katy. I’m different... And I’m not sure what that will mean in the end. When each step we take in discovering the truth puts us in the path of the secret organization responsible for torturing and testing hybrids, the more I realize there is no end to what I’m capable of. The death of someone close still lingers, help comes from the most unlikely source, and friends will become the deadliest of enemies, but we won’t turn back. Even if the outcome will shatter our worlds forever.

Together we’re stronger... and they know it.
 ~*~Lili's Reflections~*~

Before I begin, I want to say that this review may have spoilers for book two because it's nearly impossible to describe the plot without spoiling book two.

Going into this book, my expectations were high. Book one and two completely blew me away, and while I greatly enjoyed book three I can't say that I believe it measured up to book one and book two.

To begin, I predicted the end of the novel in the very beginning of the book. Knowing JLA, this was going to be a cliffhanger and the ending of this one was certainly one of the worst cliffhangers I've come across in a while, but it's sort of excepted now. And it's a bummer that it could have all been avoided if certain characters just listened to their guts. It seems that aspects of the past are destined to repeat itself with this crew. Am I still eagerly awaiting book four? Totally. But part of me still sits here frustrated because it's one of those situations where all the signs were glaringly obvious and nobody listened to their instincts.

My biggest annoyance with this novel was that there was a lot of grudges. Most of the grudges were about keeping secrets from others or not trusting one's instincts which led to bad things happening. Countless times several different characters swore to stop doing this because fighting always ensued when certain topics that arose from such actions came up. Well, nobody did anything to change it. Katy still kept secrets, people still held grudges, Daemon still didn't listen to his gut, nor did anyone else for that matter. As amazing as this bunch of characters is, so much could have been avoided and it's frustrating when you sit back and reflect on it all.

Characterization wise Katy remained the same. She matured in some aspects and stayed the same in others. She got even more attached to Daemon. Daemon was still his deliciously arrogant self, but he was all the more in tune with Katy. Dee was perhaps the biggest grudge holder in this one, so she wasn't a large part of the novel for a while. Her desire to have space from Katy was no surprise after reading book two, but I desperately wanted her as part of the plot because the book almost seemed slightly dry without her and her lovely antics. Dawson was almost zombie-like and it took a while for him to get out of his trance. It was to be expected after everything he endured. The real Dawson slowly awoke with the help of everyone, and I found his slowly journey to acceptance and reality to be great.

And then there's Blake. Don't get me started on Blake. I still don't think he should have been there. He caused a lot of problems and did a lot of terrible things, yet he somehow still snooped around looking for Katy's acceptance and adoration. And the characters, while not companionable with him, learned to deal with him and his actions in order to save one of their own. What ensued afterwards was no surprise to me. Blake is Blake and will always be Blake.

All in all, I think this book was more or less there to help transition from the major plot points in books one and two to the ones in books four and five. It lacked the constant hilariousness that the others did. As usual, there was a lot of fighting and making up, a lot of Daemon's antics, a lot of worries and speculating from the characters and now the rest of their student body, but something was different when you compare this novel to the rest. I couldn't tell you what it is. As much as I love the characters, I felt almost disconnected to them at times. There was a lot of kissing scenes and sexual situations in this one. I get that a relationship progresses and Daemon is Daemon, but it's almost like every other chapter there was some steaminess and it was too much at a point. I just wanted more of a plot with this one. I like seeing Daemon agree with Katy and I like watching their relationship progress, but in comparison to the past books he keeps getting softer the more they become physical. I know their connection is growing, but gah, they're kissing so much I don't understand how they know how to breathe anymore.

I think a good comparison for this book would be to JLA's own Covenant Series, which I love with all my heart. Like Daemon and Katy, the main characters in that series are also beginning to have a more physical relationship, but it's less of a focus in that book. There's a serious kickass plot that keeps you on your toes and the relationship is a great aspect of the plot, but the kissing doesn't overrun the plot. It almost seemed like it did in this one. I'm hoping that I'll love book four as much as I loved book two and three, but this one just didn't live up to the rest in my eyes. The plot was diminished by too much steamy scenes to appease certain readers. Unfortunately, this doesn't do it for me. I love a good book and I don't mind a steamy relationship, but I prefer the overall story to a bunch of sexy times. If literature one day just turns into a bunch of heavy kissing scenes and more, I'll be severely disappointed. But, I must admit, JLA does know how to deliver in this aspect.

But seriously. Holy alien babies everywhere, I need book four to be out already after that ending! Ah!
 

4 stars

~*~Links~*~

3 comments:

  1. you are invited to follow my blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. JLA does know how to write some sexy scenes. I bet her New Adult book is littered with them :) But I agree, the plot shouldn't disappear with the romance. Glad you're still liking the series. I stopped after the first. Not my thing. But I love Roswell, the tv series :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't know what else to say other than I really need to read this series, and fast. The only JLA that I have read so far is Half-Blood, and I loved it. I am ready to dig in a little deeper, and hopefully enjoy her books as much as so many others have!

    ReplyDelete