Review: Perfect Scoundrels by Ally Carter

Series: Heist Society #3
Publication Date: February 5, 2013
Publisher: Hyperion Books for Children
Reading Level: Young Adult
Pages: 328 (Hardcover)
Source: Gifted

Katarina Bishop and W.W. Hale the fifth were born to lead completely different lives: Kat comes from a long, proud line of loveable criminal masterminds, while Hale is the scion of one of the most seemingly perfect dynasties in the world. If their families have one thing in common, it's that they both know how to stay under the radar while getting-or stealing-whatever they want. No matter the risk, the Bishops can always be counted on, but in Hale's family, all bets are off when money is on the line. When Hale unexpectedly inherits his grandmother's billion dollar corporation, he quickly learns that there's no place for Kat and their old heists in his new role. But Kat won't let him go that easily, especially after she gets tipped off that his grandmother's will might have been altered in an elaborate con to steal the company's fortune. So instead of being the heir-this time, Hale might be the mark. Forced to keep a level head as she and her crew fight for one of their own, Kat comes up with an ambitious and far-reaching plan that only the Bishop family would dare attempt. To pull it off, Kat is prepared to do the impossible, but first, she has to decide if she's willing to save her boyfriend's company if it means losing the boy.
~*~Lili's Reflections~*~

Ally Carter has proved once again why I have yet to find a young adult espionage book that even begins to rival any of hers. My, my, how I love the Heist Society. Let me just take a moment to marvel in its glory surpassed by none.

Clearly, this book blew me away. I'd go as far as to admit that it's the best in the Heist Society series to date. And I'm hoping each book that follows this one will just keep getting better and better because that's the expectation that Ally Carter has rightfully earned in my eyes. I keep eating her books up like of hot piece of apple pie coupled with vanilla ice cream and caramel drizzle. Yeah, they're just that sweet and amazing. And of course, we have to throw a little brownie in there for all the brownie points that Carter is famous for earning via her clever lines and humorous plots.

The focus of this novel was the enigma known as W. W. Hale the Fifth. Because of this, we learned a great many things about him, his family, how he first met Kat, and his grandmother--whose unfortunate, untimely, and unexpected death started this whirlwind story. I have to admit that learning about Hale was both insightful and intimidating. I didn't know much about him prior to this novel, so it was beyond awesome to learn more, but at the same time it became increasingly apparent that he truly did live in a world completely unlike Kat's. However, with that in mind, he has the heart of a spy and the brain of a con-man. I couldn't ask for a better story to truly describe the parallels of his life as a wealthy heir and his hidden life with Kat. But this boy begins to become vulnerable in this book. We see his familial flaws, his worst fears come to light, his pain at losing his loved one and what little respect he had from his parents and all other relatives vanishing due to their great envy of his new inheritance. While his full name is still unknown to us--despite how much I wish it was revealed in this one--he himself became known to us. We finally know enough about him to know why he is the way he is because Carter decided to make him the star of this novel. He was our focus, everything evolved around him, and this was a huge change from the previous novels in this series.


We began the story with the legitimate mention that Kat and Hale are in a relationship. Of course, how can nobody love this? However, almost immediately after we're giving a quick sequence of events that shattered the perfection we were all hoping for for so long. See, Hale and Kat were on a heist when, completely unexpectedly, Hale left her hanging (literally--from a bathroom window in a harness). Their relationship after that was rather downhill. Soon, Kat finds out that he left because his beloved grandmother died. She was the only person in his illustrious family that he really connected with, so it's safe to say that Hale is completely and utterly heartbroken. However, it quickly becomes obvious to Kat that Hale is the mark in one of the most elaborate cons she's ever seen when he inherits the entire Hale fortune as a minor and the guardian of the industry until he can legally inherit it is the creepy, scheming family lawyer, Garett, whose job was terminated days before Hale's grandmother's passing. As you can tell, this is one huge plot that required multiple cons within the overall con to pull it off. There was a lot of close calls and constant scheming, scamming, and planning of missions and back-up scenarios. I loved every minute of it and while this book was more than satisfying, I felt a sense of sadness when I turned the last page because I didn't want it to end.

In the end, I loved this book. With an amazing cast of side characters like the amazingly intelligent Uncle Eddie and the easily lovable twins Hamish and Angus, I couldn't get enough. Swept up between vile villains, the crew from book two, and the addition of an aging scientist who helped make the Hale family fortune come to life, this book will sweep you off your feet compared to all the rest. I recommend this series to literally everyone because it's a light, incredibly humorous read for all age groups that I have no criticisms about. And, by gosh, will I be distraught if this series doesn't continue for two reasons:

1. Gallagher Girls is ending and I need me my daily dose of Ally Carter.

...and 2. WE STILL DON'T KNOW HALE'S NAME! WHAT!?!?

 
5 stars


~*~Links~*~

3 comments:

  1. I also thought this was the best book in the Heist Society series to date. Ally Carter writes so many amazing books! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really need to make some time to read this series. Until recently, I haven't read a lot about them, but I have seen them at the library numerous times. But lately, I have seen reviews for them popping up all over the place. And the one thing they all have in common is that these books are fabulous, and Ally Carter is a must-read author. SO, I think I will add her books to the must pile!

    ReplyDelete