Review: Wait For You by J. Lynn

Series: Wait For You #1
Publication Date: February 26, 2013
Reading Level: New Adult/18+/Mature
Pages: 332 (eBook)
Source: Bought
Some things are worth waiting for…

Traveling thousands of miles from home to enter college is the only way nineteen-year-old Avery Morgansten can escape what happened at the Halloween party five years ago—an event that forever changed her life. All she needs to do is make it to her classes on time, make sure the bracelet on her left wrist stays in place, not draw any attention to herself, and maybe—please God—make a few friends, because surely that would be a nice change of pace. The one thing she didn’t need and never planned on was capturing the attention of the one guy who could shatter the precarious future she’s building for herself.

Some things are worth experiencing…

Cameron Hamilton is six feet and three inches of swoon-worthy hotness, complete with a pair of striking blue eyes and a remarkable ability to make her want things she believed were irrevocably stolen from her. She knows she needs to stay away from him, but Cam is freaking everywhere, with his charm, his witty banter, and that damn dimple that’s just so… so lickable. Getting involved with him is dangerous, but when ignoring the simmering tension that sparks whenever they are around each other becomes impossible, he brings out a side of her she never knew existed.

Some things should never be kept quiet…

But when Avery starts receiving threatening emails and phone calls forcing her to face a past she wants silenced, she’s has no other choice but to acknowledge that someone is refusing to allow her to let go of that night when everything changed. When the devastating truth comes out, will she resurface this time with one less scar? And can Cam be there to help her or will he be dragged down with her?

And some things are worth fighting for…
 
~*~Lili's Reflections~*~

It is true, whether Jennifer L. Armentrout is writing as J Lynn or JLA, she can deliver a story. This story was an easy book to breeze through. I started it at 11 thinking I could read myself to sleep and continue in the morning, but I read this one and stayed up to write my review immediately even though it was past two AM. I can't say this one was disappointing.

However, as an avid reader and extreme lover of JLA's Covenant series and Lux series, I have to say that I found a few flaws in this one that kept it from measuring up to two of my favorite series ever. The main point being the secondary characters. Like all of her other books, her secondary characters were absolutely amazing to be around. Jacob and Brit were absolute highlights of the story alongside the main characters of Cam and Avery. Jacob is a flamboyant gay guy and has the stereotypical loud and out there personality of a gay guy. In truth, I really hate when homosexual characters are characterized this way because I feel as if it is feeding into a stereotype, but I enjoyed his characterization nonetheless because of his ability to diffuse tension. Brit was the best friend a girl could ever ask for and was always there for Avery. I also want to throw out a shout-out to Cam's roommate Ollie. He was hilarious and wanted to have a good time, which mostly meant doing crazy things to Cam's beloved pet turtle Raphael by putting him on leashes or leaving him in the hallway and bringing him everywhere. I thought he was highly entertaining though he wasn't as strong as a secondary character as Brit and Jacob were.

And Cam and Avery deserve their own recognition. Cam alone is a reason to read this book. He is truly over six feet tall of swoonyness and I loved every second of it. In the beginning of the novel, we meet Cam because Avery literally runs into him. And let's just say it was love at first sight. A reformed playboy, he's immediately interested in Avery's slight nerdiness and hidden attractiveness. It was refreshing to see him around. Incredibly persistent, he wouldn't rest until Avery could begin the slow process of letting go of her past and beginning to start anew with Cam. This boy will literally change her life, despite the fact that he has secrets of his own.

With that being said, I think the secrets could have been revealed a lot differently. There were small clues dropped regarding Cam's secret when he took Avery home to meet his parents, so the big reveal wasn't that surprising in the end. He's a concerned older brother and despite his actions I'd kill to have someone like him in my life. However, Avery's secret was sort of obvious with all of the context clues. As horrible as it was, I figured it out within the first few chapters because of how she referred to it. This was a bummer for me because it took away from the plot, in my opinion, since the secret's reveal was such a big deal. Her desire to keep it to herself almost broke her and Cam up forever several different times.

I also want to mention another point of the story that bugged me. The beginning of Cam and Avery's relationship was very sweet. Sure, there was kissing, they loved each other, but it was sweet and nice. Too soon did it turn purely physical. I almost felt like the second half of the book was every sexual situation you can think of, thrown in there for the hell of it. There's a way a relationship can be totally sweet and sexual, but it turned into one that was dominantly sexual to me. There was something going on almost every chapter. Literally, every sexual situation you can think of was described in immense detail and if it wasn't, it was mentioned in conversation to prove that it happened. There was an entire chapter dedicated to Avery explaining how she sets her alarm and hour early so she can have some morning sex before she heads to class all the time. I get it, yeah, but I missed the sweetness of the two of them. It suddenly was all about the physicalities of a relationship and while this led to some emotional vulnerability for her first time, I felt all of the beautiful descriptions and emphasis that there was surrounding their emotions in the beginning of their relationship was gone so that another sex scene could fit into the story.

While ths novel has some original aspects to it, it unfortunately does follow the general new adult plot line where girl and boy go to a college to escape their past, meet, fall in love in their first year after undergoing many trials and tribulations, and predictably live happily ever after. This book will be good for fans of EASY by Tammara Webber if they'd prefer a story with more sex in it. While I loved both of them, I prefer EASY more due to the substance and amazing plot that it outlined as opposed to the eventual focus on sex. Either way, both authors know how to tell a story, and I am anxiously awaiting book two in this series. Despite how it seems that Cam will turn into a secondary character to focus on someone else, I still need a healthy dosing of Cam!

Warning: There is a lot of cussing and a lot of detailed sexual situations in this one. If any of this makes you uncomfortable, this really is not a book for you.

 
4.5 stars

~*~Links~*~

3 comments:

  1. I just read this book it was amazing loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have only read Half-Blood by JLA so far, but I loved it in a big way. I can't wait to read the rest of the series, and then move on to her other YA. I started seeing covers and reviews for her New Adult (adult?) books not too long ago, but I wasn't so sure how the crossover would be. It seems like she has had no issues bringing her awesomeness to the older folks, like myself. So one day, I may have to give this one a go for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks and sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete