Top Ten Books Dealing with Tough Subjects


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

In no particular order, my top ten books dealing with tough subjects.

1. The Fault In Our Stars by John Green is possibly the best book I've seen that realistically tackled cancer in a respectable, believable, realistic, and emotional manner. 5 stars

2. Who I Kissed by Janet Gurtler tackles the concept of bullying and self-hatred when the main characters believes she assists in the death of one of the most popular guys in school after she kissed him and he died from going into shock with his lethal peanut allergy. 4 stars

3. Pushing The Limits by Katie McGarry tackles a plethora of subjects from broken families, possibly suicide, bullying, and the scary aspects of amnesia while another character experiences the negative aspects of the foster system. I loved this book so much because of its depth. 5 stars

4. Dare You To by Katie McGarry is the companion novel to PUSHING THE LIMITS and it tackles alcoholism, physical abuse, homophobia, and broken families. Katie McGarry's ability to handle tough subjects so respectable is amazing to me. 5 stars

5. Sanctum by Sarah Fine focuses on the concept of suicide and redeeming oneself. This book blew me away because of the expertise and unique interpretation used in regards to a growing problem in the world today. This is among my favorite books ever for its truthfulness in dark times, but ability to exemplify the fact that absolutely anyone can redeem themselves. 5 stars

6. The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer tackles the huge concept of insanity. Yeah, this character is losing her mind. It's scary and great all at once because it's such a heavy, dark topic. 5 stars

7. The Waiting Sky by Lara Zielin focuses on alcoholism and how it can ruin lives. This novel was a very realistic and true contemporary that really spoke to me, though I don't know anyone who is an alcoholic. 4 stars

8. Easy by Tammara Webber is among my favorite books ever because of the way that it shows attempted rape and forced intimidation from a male to a female. It exemplifies how traumatic experiences only make a person discover new things about themselves, how strong they are, and that they are really worth loving. I highly recommend it. 5 stars

9. Touched by Corrine Jackson evolves around alcoholism and physical abuse. This story was detailed in this regard, but also showed how people who endure such abuse and trauma turn out to be the strongest people you will ever meet. My review for this book will be posted on Tynga's Reviews tomorrow. 4 stars

10. The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie tackles the huge subject of racism, specifically towards Native Americans, in present-day society. Alexie manages to use experiences from his own childhood and his wonderful sense of humor to convey the obstacles that stand in his ethnicity's way because of their race and how some overcome such things. 4 stars

*BONUS* The Book Thief by Markus Zusak will never get a review for me because it's so marvelous that it always leaves me at a loss for words. It obviously tackles The Holocaust, which is one of the toughest subjects in history. And Zusak managed to do this in such a respectable and amazingly well-written fashion that blew me away, made me feel every emotion imaginable, and taught me new things about life.


2 comments:

  1. Great list! I have Pushing The Limits on mine too but haven't read Dare You To yet. Who I Kissed sounds really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sanctum is one of my favorite books too!
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete