Review: Fallen Too Far by Abbi Glines

Series: Too Far #1
Publication Date: December 14, 2012
Reading Level: New Adult, 18+
Pages: 188 (eBook)
Source: Borrowed from a friend
To want what you’re not supposed to have…

She is only nineteen.

She is his new stepfather’s daughter.

She is still naïve and innocent due to spending the last three years taking care of her sick mother.

But for twenty-four year old Rush Finlay, she is the only thing that has ever been off limits. His famous father’s guilt money, his mother’s desperation to win his love, and his charm are the three reasons he has never been told no.

Blaire Wynn left her small farmhouse in Alabama, after her mother passed away, to move in with her father and his new wife in their sprawling beach house along the Florida gulf coast. She isn’t prepared for the lifestyle change and she knows she’ll never fit into this world. Then there is her sexy stepbrother who her father leaves her with for the summer while he runs off to Paris with his wife. Rush is as spoiled as he is gorgeous. He is also getting under her skin. She knows he is anything but good for her and that he’ll never be faithful to anyone. He is jaded and has secrets Blaire knows she may never uncover but even knowing all of that…

Blaire just may have fallen too far.
~*~Lili's Reflections~*~

This review will undoubtedly contain spoilers for book one simply because the more I think about this book and reflect on the thoughts, the more angry I become. There will be a few choice swear words in this review. Read at your own risk. But, let me tell you, this is going to be one helluva ride.

I really enjoyed Abbi's VINCENT BOYS series, so when I found out that one of my friends could lend me her nook copy of FALLEN TOO FAR, I eagerly accepted. Abbi and I bonded over suffering the dreaded "name ending in i" curse at BEA, and I picked up a copy of her book BREATHE that I can't wait to read. She's truly a big sweetheart. But this book...this book disappointed me in every imaginable way. It has been so long since I've actually given out one star, but damn, I don't have many kind things to say about this one.

To begin, the lack of full editing bugged me. A lot. I understand that this is an indie novel, but the editing could have been taking a little more seriously. There were many missing commas, even a few apostrophes. Words were misspelled and entirely wrong words were placed in sentences that made them read awkwardly. And some properly worded sentences just read awkwardly because it did not flow. Granted, the book was very quick and easy to get through, but these editing flaws could have made it flow better than it did at times. 

And the similarities that I drew to her other series grated on my nerves as well. Rich guy that's never had to work a day in his life falls for poor girl who can't believe rich guy who is so out of her league is falling for her. It's somewhat similar to the overall concept of THE VINCENT BOYS, but I have to say the aforementioned novel was executed ten times better than this one was. It worries me that Glines is going to begin to overuse a general plot arc that she has found to work for her instead of taking the route of true originality. I don't want the repetitiveness and this realization worries me about some of her future novels. I don't want the same story to be delivered to me again in again in a plethora of different settings and lifestyles.

But you want to know what really made this book a laborious read? The main character, Blaire Wynn. Granted, she's got an awesome name, but that's about all I like about her. She is perhaps the most frustrating and nonsensical character I've met so far in 2013. I thought we had this strong main character who was independent and could protect herself with her awesome gun, but she's really just naive. Kudos for running out to find a job the very first day, but you frustrate me, Blaire. You frustrate me a lot because you had no backbone and let everyone walk all over you as they pleased. To top it all off, she is your classic case of not knowing she's beautiful, but every attractive rich guy in the area sure as hell disagrees. I can't even tell you how many times this girl was told she was beautiful by a different guy in this book, not to mention the fact that they all repeated themselves since they seemed like robots with only a few pre-programmed sayings and, of course, one of them was declaring Blaire's beauty to the world. And, of course, she totally had to disagree every time. Just stop. I hate characters like this and this began my great dislike of her. Stop fishing for compliments, it makes you look needy. 

I really don't like using GIFs in my reviews, but this one fit perfectly.
But then her lack of common sense began to show through because, well, curiosity got the better of her. This girl almost seemed to be ashamed of being a virgin at nineteen. Let me tell you, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that the way girls are losing their virginity's the second they hit puberty these days. This book is sending the wrong message. 

But then, to make matters worse, she develops a fascination with sex, specifically that evolving around her attractive and admittedly sexy older step brother, and decides to be voyeuristic. Voyeurism is gross and illegal, do not do it! You walk in on your brother the first time and stare, and he later admits that he liked you staring because that right there is totally freaking normal, right? and then it happens a second time but you're so emotionally linked to your step brother that you can't stand it. Give me a break, I can't even deal with this. I do not like anything having to do with voyeurism. You can sit there and say it was an accident because it happens all the time, say a friend walks in on another friend at a party or whatnot, but then you freak out and it becomes awkward and you leave shaking the memory from your mind. She stayed. And she stared. And she liked it and wanted to be in that girls place. And she knew she shouldn't be there, but she went and looked anyway. Voyeurism. Absolutely disgusting. Violation of anyone's privacy, especially intimate privacy, is wrong. Even if they're doing it on the porch or the couch, you heard them in advance. Use your brain and walk in the other direction or you're making yourself out to be a fool.

And Rush. I don't even understand you at all. Am I fascinated by your character because you seemed pretty awesome when you grew a heart? Yes. Am I surprised you grew a heart? Double yes, because your emergence of a heart only seemed to be there to further the plot along. It fits with nothing about his initial characterization of being a partying douchebag yes, I had to say! I am cursing in my reviews! The world is going to end and all Hell will break lose into fiery balls of justice! that does not even want Blaire in your house to a guy who is proclaiming his love for her a mere few weeks later. You gave her a month at most in your house and than you're practically begging her to move upstairs because you want to be closer to her. And you blame all of your initial haterade attitude on the fact that you were immediately attracted to her and didn't want to go down that road. Yet you went down that road anyway, and with very little resistance I may add. You make no sense. Either guzzle the haterade or don't drink it at all, but don't go sippin' on that juice whenever the mood strikes. You have the attitude of a bi-polar two year old whose used to getting every single toy he wants, but instead your toys are naked women. Ugh, just ugh. No other words.

Yet, somehow, Glines has caught my attention with you, Rush. Sad, sad, I know. I will be continuing onto book two only because I like you with a heart, even if I don't think the emergence of your heart is believable. Hopefully my reaction to book two is not a dispassionate as it has been to book one.

So, as you can guess above, this is a serious case of insta-love. I had trouble keeping track of the timing, but I know that this book spanned less than a month because of a time declaration Cain made at the end of the novel. So, this book went from a poor nineteen year old girl mourning the loss of her mother and her experienced, rich twenty-four year old step-brother hating each other to falling madly in love and having wild sex despite her being a virgin prior to meeting in a matter of, say, three weeks. *Slow claps* What more do I need to say in that regard? Again, this just makes me ask why there are so many four and five star reviews for this book. What did you guys love that I am missing? I have found nothing to love yet!

And then there's Nan, Rush's younger sister who he will do everything for. All I've got to say is this, Nan is the bitchiest bitch I have ever met. Like, she is the bitch to beat all bitches. It's just that bad. She's evil and it's not explained until the end of the novel, and even then I think her hate is childish because she's blaming Blaire and hating Blaire and trying to literally ruin Blaire's life for a bad decision that an adult made. She's overemotional, controlling, and her character seems to fit in better with a mobster scene that surrounds a pretty girl who gets to decide who dies than a posh lifestyle in Florida. You're rich, shouldn't you have better things to do with your life than guzzle the haterade? Especially since you're 21, and your new favorite punching bag is a 19 year old with the wit of gnat. 

The only characters I liked were Jimmy the gay and entertaining waiter and Bethy, the co-worker that lets rich guys take advantage of her too much but eventually learns to put her foot down. Grant was also possibly the only level-headed of Rush's siblings and Woods turned out to be a reliable boss, friend, and confidant even though he did a lot of flirting with Blaire in the beginning before he realized she had eyes for someone else. I wish there was more of them.

But the worst part of this novel was this: the secret. There was so many instances of "I can't tell you anything because it's a secret, but you have to trust me" scenarios. And Blaire was always quick to just roll over and trust. Can I just stick a note on your forehead that says "doormat" right under that pretty little Dunce hat you should be sporting right about now, Blaire? So, because she never asked for answers and then beat herself up when she asked for answers, everything eventually exploded in her face. And while I don't want to reveal the big twist (because it was rather interesting and makes me want to continue to book two only to see how it plays out) I will say this: You should NEVER glorify hurting someone important to you to benefit someone else. NEVER leave behind one person for another. If you cannot find amicable ground, you shouldn't have made your decision in the beginning. But you DO NOT cause someone else pain for the satisfaction of another. And this, ladies and gentleman, was the cherry on top of this disappointing and stale cake.

The ending was sad. But there was obviously more sex because Blaire is now a sex addict after losing her virginity a mere few days prior to the book ending. And because the ending was sad, I do want to continue onto book two with the promise that it's happier than book one from a dear friend. It just goes to show that this book can still hold your attention and make you really curious about book two because of the ending. Blaire sure as hell did not get the happily ever after that she deserved after all the devastation in her life. That's really all I have to say now.

There is only one way to describe this book and I can do so by taking a direct quote from this story from the second time that Blaire decided to explore her idiotic and gross voyeuristic tendencies:
I was moving toward the sound even thought I knew it was something I did not want to see. It was like a train wreck. I couldn't not go see it even if I didn't want it seared into my brain.
Spelling mistake and double negative and all, that is a direct quote that perfectly describes this novel in my eyes. It was a train wreck, yet somehow I kept trudging through because of Rush's interesting, yet obviously forced character arc and my curiosity about this life-altering secret. I will not be reading book two unless I can find a way to obtain it without having to spend my own money Oh, look! Someone lent it to me on my Kindle. Looks like round two is gearing up, and my fingers are crossed damn tight with the hope that book two will be better and happier than book one. I hope that none of the future Glines books that I read leave me with feelings at all similar to this one.

Meh. I just can't say anything else about this book. I severely hope book two will renew my love of Abbi Glines, because I am beyond disappointed and angry with this one. However, keep in mind that I tend to be the black sheep in this situation. Do not allow my opinions to rule your decisions or hinder you from reading this book if you want to. Know that a majority of people who have read this one fell completely in love with it for some odd, unknown reason to me.


1 star

~*~Links~*~

11 comments:

  1. I read it a while ago and had a hard time finishing it. I was eye rolling through the whole book.
    I took the Vincent Boys out of my to read list, after this letdown..but if you say its worth it, I'll give it a try.. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed THE VINCENTS BOYS which I read before this. This series is making me slowly begin to dislike her writing :/

      Delete
  2. Yikes -- you really didn't like this, huh? I read both Vincent Boys and Vincent Brothers and they were okay -- just not really my kind of book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, I HATED this one. The others were okay, this was just terrible >_<

      Delete
  3. Who's has two thumbs and is excited to read this review? THIS GUY.

    Oh wow, you actually liked her other books and didn't like this one AT ALL. Wow. That's not good. Also, I would expect even her indie stuff to be well-edited, since she is such a big name. Even if you couldn't at the time, go back and get it fixed!

    She has an awesome gun? That seems different.

    Oh no, is there virgin-shaming? I HATE THAT.

    "But then, to make matters worse, she develops a fascination with sex, specifically that evolving around her attractive and admittedly sexy older step brother, and decides to be voyeuristic." No. NO NO NO. Ew. Also, voyeurism is illegal? I mean, in public, sure, but like...how could you help it if someone walked in and watched? Gross. Why is this even a thing in the plot? I mean, a step-brother isn't related, but why make it creepier than it has to be?

    Oh great, unconvincing instalove. That was needed.

    "Either guzzle the haterade or don't drink it at all" LOL. *guzzles*

    UGH, secrets. I hate when authors rub the impending plot twist in your face like that. Wait, what happened? I WANT TO KNOW.

    Wait, she's a sex addict? CHICKAWHAT? Like, is that stated outright. O_o

    Never was I planning to read Abbi Glines and I support this decision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, see, I actually looked up voyeurism and it involves like watching others and LIKING it because you'd rather that be you. And well, that's what she did. So while it's not in public and aspects of public voyeurism are illegal, it's still voyeurism because instead of turning around and walking away she stayed and watched and got sexual satisfaction from it.

      I'll text you with the plot twist. And she's not an outright addict, but she had sex like 10 times in the what, 3-4 days she wasn't a virgin. And then of course the only way you can say goodbye to someone is by having sex with them and then sending them packing. because that's totally normal.

      Delete
  4. Ohh! I know exactly what you mean when it comes to this book! So many aspects of it were frustrating and the part with her being a virgin and then having sex like crazy within like four days. It was all a little too much for me. If I were you, I'd skip the second book in this series - it's worse than this one.

    And when it comes to Abbi Glines' books after a while you'll notice that they almost all have the same plot arc - girl meets boy, girl is innocent - boy isn't - they fall in love - drama ensues - they make up. It's not bad and if you space out her books it's really not a problem! It's just something I've noticed!

    I'm looking forward to your thoughts on Breathe! It's definitely the most... innocent of her books and can be classified as YA. The second one in that series is good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book doesn't sound like something I would like after reading your review! Thanks for being so honest and all that jazz!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that the best thing that I can do to not kill NA for me before I even begin is to stay far away from this book. Far, far away. Blair sucks, and I only need your review to see that. A 19 year old virgin is something to be proud of, girl. Not feel ashamed of. That is ridiculous. And Rush (kick ass name), suddenly gaining a heart makes no sense. Yeah, I will stay away from this book. New Adult, one day I will find a book to read to start the genre the right way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad that the Vincent Boys is much better than this one because I'm still planning on reading it in the future. Your review was very amusing by the way! I can't wait to hear your thoughts on book 2. Hopefully it will redeem the series :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmm, this doesn't sound good at all! Lots of the issues you had with this were ones I had with The Vincent Boys, but as I've only read one of Glines' books so far, I'm reserving judgement!

    Marlene Detierro (Alaska Fishing Lodge)

    ReplyDelete