Review: Sweet Peril by Wendy Higgins

Series: The Sweet Trilogy #2
Publication Date: April 30, 2013
Publisher: HarperTeen
Reading Level: Young Adult
Pages: 371 (Paperback)
Source: Gifted
Anna Whitt, the daughter of a guardian angel and a demon, promised herself she’d never do the work of her father—polluting souls. She’d been naive to make such a vow. She’d been naive about a lot of things.

Haunted by demon whisperers, Anna does whatever she can to survive, even if it means embracing her dark side and earning an unwanted reputation as her school’s party girl. Her life has never looked more bleak. And all the while there’s Kaidan Rowe, son of the Duke of Lust, plaguing her heart and mind.

When an unexpected lost message from the angels surfaces, Anna finds herself traveling the globe with Kopano, son of Wrath, in an attempt to gain support of fellow Nephilim and give them hope for the first time. It soon becomes clear that whatever freedoms Anna and the rest of the Neph are hoping to win will not be gained without a fight. Until then, Anna and Kaidan must put aside the issues between them, overcome the steamiest of temptations yet, and face the ultimate question: is loving someone worth risking their life?
~*~Lili's Reflections~*~

I absolutely adore this series. Higgins never ceases to blow me away and, damn, was this book amazing. I know what she's capable of, but I totally did not see this one coming! Thank you so much Krista at Nawanda Files for gifting this to me!

I thought that I would royally dislike this book because of the ending of book one. Yeah, no Kai for a little bit. Absolutely terrible, if you ask me. But I ended up loving it because when Kai returned, this book was ten times more amazing than I ever thought it could be. And while Kai wasn't there, Kopano made a more than acceptable substitute. I'll put it this way, I want my own Kopano now. In Anna's words, I want my own "big, beautiful African man." I think that there was a lot of beauty and nicely placed thoughts in this one at the hands of Kopano. He meditates and there's a scene where Anna reflects on watching his vulnerability and openness when he's normally a tall, intimidating character despite his big and considerate heart. It was not only written beautifully in such a way that showcases Higgin's writing style, but it was also insightful and thought-provoking--so much so that it made an impression on me. Higgins did a really great job perfecting her writing style with this one. And she's earned infinite brownie points from me because she's one of the few authors that knows how to do a love triangle write. Nothing is juicier than a love triangle done right, it's just rare to encounter a truly good one.

As always, the characterization was strong. Anna's still got a golden heart even if she has been working. So she's a good girl with a bad streak, but it makes her all the more interesting. However, I found the most interesting characters in this one to be Anna's father and his brilliant scheming coupled with Anna's newfound Neph friends, Zania and Flynn. Her old ones were amazing as always, but the new ones made lasting impressions. Especially Zania, the woman who fears men but may have found a friend in Kopano of all people. Their sub-plot was endlessly fascinating to me and I can't wait to see what will happen with it.

But what makes this book so much better than book one was the amount of scheming in it. The entire book was scheming and plotting, convincing others to be on your side, all while fighting the odds of one of the really evil and all-knowing Dukes figuring out what's going on and ending everyone's lives. I was constantly on the edge of my seat, flipping pages super fast to make sure nothing bad happened. And after the events of this book, I can promise that book three is going to be loaded with action and insanity that has me shaking with anticipation.

I stand by my original verdict of anything Higgins producing being an automatic must read! I have never encountered any bit of criticism in regards to her, except perhaps giving us more Kai! There will never be enough Kai.


5 stars

~*~Links~*~

3 comments:

  1. Awesome! I'm so glad you like these. People have been pestering me like mad to read them. and I do have Sweet Evil on my shelf ready for me to pick it up. One of these days... :D

    <333 Inky

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still have to read Sweet Evil, and I've heard nothing but good things about it :) I'll definitely have to give it a try soon, especially after reading your review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't read Sweet Evil yet, even though it is sitting pretty on my shelf staring at me day in and day out. I really need to just get to it, already. I have made a promise to myself that after I finish up the 14 books that I am obligated to, I will take at least a month, if not more, to read the books that are MINE on MY shelf. Sweet Evil may just have to be the first one so that I can hurry up and read Sweet Peril!

    ReplyDelete