Review: Losing It by Cora Carmack

Series: Losing It #1
Publication Date: October 15, 2012
Reading Level: New Adult, 16+
Pages: 204 (eBook)
Source: Bought
Virginity.

Bliss Edwards is about to graduate from college and still has hers. Sick of being the only virgin among her friends, she decides the best way to deal with the problem is to lose it as quickly and simply as possible-- a one-night stand. But her plan turns out to be anything but simple when she freaks out and leaves a gorgeous guy alone and naked in her bed with an excuse that no one with half-a-brain would ever believe. And as if that weren't embarrassing enough, when she arrives for her first class of her last college semester, she recognizes her new theatre professor. She'd left him naked in her bed about 8 hours earlier.
~*~Lili's Reflections~*~

Before I begin I have to say that this is the most atrocious cover ever. I understand that a lot of people find it to be attractive. But look at the guy. He does not scream attractive to me. He looks young, and skinny, and just, young. He is no Garrick. Have you read this book?! If you haven't, you will because I'll hunt you down and make you, but that boy does not do Garrick justice. Garrick is a man and damn, does this cover annoy me in that sense. Attractive level: negative four.

Now that I got that out of my system...

I loved this book for a plethora of reasons. It was not only entertaining, but it was incredibly realistic and Bliss was a character that was easy to relate to. It made the book have a high level of relatability my never favorite word that's not really a word and it made it a very quick read that I could not get enough of. In fact, I only wanted more. I cannot wait to read FAKING IT, companion to this one, because Carmack's writing is truly genuine.

I think that perhaps what resonated with me most in this book was the focus of Bliss being a 22 year old virgin and not being ashamed of it. See, I had this brief period where I thought I would have to give up on the new adult genre because so many characters seem to be ashamed of having their v-card still safely tucked in their back pocket and that pissed me off. There is absolutely nothing to be ashamed of if you choose to wait, societal pressures suck and you shouldn't let them rule your life. So it was nice to find a girl who really had no issue with being the way she was, and only felt ashamed when others, like her sex-crazy best friend, Kelsey, made her feel as if she was unworthy or something because her v-card is still in her possession. And not only that, she's a virgin who wants to have sex, but doesn't at the same time. The constant contradiction comes from her wanting to feel what it's like to truly be loved, but she's got an over-analytical brain that stops her from doing anything with someone that she doesn't feel is right by making her compare herself to everyone she knows. Bliss doesn't think she's worthy because of her lack of knowledge that everyone her age seems to have. Face it, doesn't everyone have that moment where they're like, "what if I suck?!" when the prospect of losing their virginity becomes a reality? I told you, this book is easy to relate to and her over-analytical brain was like a storyline taken directly from my own life. Carmack nailed this aspect of the plot.

But her humor shined through as well. From Bliss's intellectual wit and awkward Shakespeare sex references to the usual college party whose battle cry is a loud and proud, "VODKAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!" I was constantly tittering into the late hours of the night, doing my best not to wake my sister up and have her ruin this glorious book for me at 3 in the morning. Plus, I have to admit, the evil gray female cat named Hamlet often had me rolling with laughter. You go girl, suck up to the sexy guy and fight your competition owner who wants him. You got your priorities straight, little kitty!

Cade was a very interesting male best friend and the side characters were superb. I could remember their names easily and their personalities even better because they not only stood apart, but they all added to the story in some entertaining way, shape, or form. But Cade's on an entirely different level because while he is no Garrick, he's a very good runner up. The brief love triangle in this book was done amazingly well because it showed heartbreak and I'm damn happy that Bliss had the balls to stop leading love interest numero dos on and tell him that they just weren't meant to be. It's the way a love triangle should be written. Instead of taking away from the plot, it added to it.

And perhaps the best part of all was Garrick. Not only could I imagine his British accent being totally hot in my head, but he was a respectable character that is easy to fall in love with because he has a trait that most men seem to lack: the ability to be understanding. Take a hot British guy who doesn't sound sleazy when he refers to people he likes as "love" and add compassion for theater, a heart of gold, and the genuine desire to do good and you have one untouchable character. But of course, he's got to have a bit of a bad streak in him if he's going to take on a student. From the sick stories to the frustrating lack of visibly showing their affection, he never gave up. He wanted what he wanted and he went for it in a respectable manner that had no piggish actions to it. I loved that. This, ladies, is the way a real man should be.

And, as mentioned above, Carmack managed to nail the teacher-student relationship. I was totally worried about this book because there was actually this huge scandal three towns over from me recently because of a teacher-student relationship in high school. And while this is college and we're talking about a girl whose 22 and a guy who just got out of grad school so he's probably 24/25, there's still an authoritarian and their pupil and it crosses societal boundaries that shouldn't be crossed. I think that the paranoia and the occasionally awkward moments depicted this relationship well, and somehow Carmack even got me rooting for these two when I was determined not to simply because I don't approve of such a relationship. But outside of the classroom people are different only in this case because these two deserve to be together. No other teachers should ever date students, ya hear?

However, I did have two small qualms with this one. I have to say that the insta-love police in me was on high alert because this did happen rather fast. One semester in college is not that long and these two got together fully with a month to spare. Rather fast, even if your love is as strong as theirs. And the epilogue just took this to an entirely different level that bugged me slightly. I'm not a huge fan of those epilogues that read "six months later" in huge, blocky letters because the odds are only a select few things are going to happen. And while I can say I am a fan of Simone Elkeles's mastery of such an art because she wrote a story that could work well with the cheesy cuteness, I don't think that Garrick and Bliss's story was meant to be cheesy. It was meant to be real, full of passion and soul and love, and the road shouldn't be entirely easy. That was the way it was in the beginning, so why did Carmack have to go and change all that up in the end? I get the cuteness and the romance lover in me was squeeing, but the analytical review in me and the part of me that is focused solely on logic was sitting there scratching their head, trying to work out this change of pace. It was out of place, though it was rather interesting to get in Garrick's head for a small portion of time. 

I have to give props to a girl who can make a book simultaneously awkward and sexy. You go, Cora, you go. There is nothing left to say about this one besides the fact that any true new adult junkie should pick it up. It got me out of my stupor, and it will do wonders for anyone who gives it a go. And everyone should. Seriously.

 
4 stars

~*~Links~*~

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this book and I totally agree about the cover. That is not how I pictured Garrick looking at all.....

    Kate @ Ex Libris

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book so much! It's one of my favorite NA and Faking It is brilliant too! And that cover is hella creepy. I'm glad that they've cut his head off in the print copies I've seen rolling around the book isles at Target. But then it's kinda creepy in a whole other way. Maybe they should just start over?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I gave this 3 stars! I loveeeeeeeeed Cade though!

    ReplyDelete