Top Ten Most Intimidating Books

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and Bookish.

In no particular order...



1. Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin

This entire series looks beyond promising and absolutely amazing, but the books are HUGE. I've never seen such length before in a novel, and I'm totally intimidated by them.







2. I Am The Messenger by Markus Zusak

THE BOOK THIEF is among my favorite books ever, I'm scared to read anything else by the same author for fear that he'll no longer be seen as unstoppable in my eyes.







3. City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra Clare

I think that the first three books in this series, originally meant to be a trilogy, ended amazingly. I'm worried about continuing on with them because I don't want all of the struggling that Jace and Clary originally endured to be together to continue.






4. A Thousand Splended Suns by Khaled Hosseini

Like Markus Zusak, Hosseini is among my favorite authors ever with his amazing novel, THE KITE RUNNER. I'm intimidated by his other novels with the fear that they'll ruin the author for me.







5. Looking for Alaska by John Green

This was the first John Green book anyone ever tried to get me to read, but I was nervous to pick it up because so many people I know loved it and so many people I know disliked it. Now, after reading THE FAULT IN OUR STARS, I'm scared to read it because of the fear that any of John Green's books can be bad.





6. Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea by April Genevieve Tucholke

I HATE horror, but this tale seems so hard to pass up. I've decided that this will be the book to help me overcome my fear and extreme distaste of horror novels, but that doesn't mean I'm any less intimidated by the promising creepy tale inside.






7. Girl of Nightmares by Kendare Blake

Yeah, so I really, really hate horror. Meaning it's the one genre I do everything in my power to avoid. I can't even begin to fathom attempting to read this one, the scariness is too much for me as of right now. The intimidation level is through the roof.






8. Rogue by Gina Damico

This is the third and final book in the CROAK series and I've never found a series that makes me laugh the way that only Damico can make me laugh. I was sent a copy from the publisher for review, and I'm scared to pick it up. I'm not ready to let these characters go, my contact at HMH already told me that I was going to cry while reading it. Gah!





9. This is not a Test by Courtney Summers

So, the biggest thing I hate about horror is zombies. And this books synopses is so amazing, but it has zombies! Anything with zombies intimidates me really. So it's like... I want to read it for the story line, but I don't want to deal with the zombies, but I have to in order to read the amazing sounding story line. So for now I'm just going to sit in the corner and continue to be intimidated despite everyone's love for this one.




10. Sentinel by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Jennifer L. Armentrout is among my favorite authors and this is one of her series that seriously renewed by love of mythology. With all of the mythology re-tellings popping up these days, I love her Covenant series because it knows how to do mythology right. But this is the last book in the series...I don't want it to end! :(



Link me to your TTT posts today!

14 comments:

  1. I feel the EXACT same way about Looking for Alaska. I don't want to be disappointed by a John Green book, and I'm so afraid that I won't like that one, so I haven't read it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Horror and ending a series. My worst nightmares, haha. I do read the occasional suspense/horror book though. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so intimidated by A Game of Thrones and almost ALL John Green books! I also am a big wimp, so horror scares me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love horror, so don't ask for scary book recommendations from me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't worry - Looking For Alaska is really good. Not as good as TFiOS, but still. Paper Towns was my least favorite of John Green's so far. Nice list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. Love Game of Thrones TV show, going to check out the audiobooks from the library, better than reading.
    3. Read City of Bones, thought the series was too young for me, listened to the 2nd & 3rd on audio, much better. Waiting for the 4th book audio to be available at the library.
    5. Loved Fault in Our Stars, picked up Paper Towns and if I never hear the name Margo Roth Spiegelman my life will be complete (should have looked at all the 1 star reviews)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Completely agree with City of Fallen Angels...it was meant to be a trilogy...leave it :/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm worried about reading I Am The Messenger too. Game of Thrones made my list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Games of Thrones made my list too :D I have yet to read Sentinel because I really don't want it to end either.

    Here's my Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great list. Game of Thrones is on my list too. I was also scared about reading The City of Fallen Angels and when I read it, I ended up disliking it and couldn't continue with the series. I wish the series would have ended at book 3.

    Ange @ Moonlight Reader
    My Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
  11. YESSSS. Game of Thrones intimidates me to no end. My brother has been trying to force the series on me for a while, but I've watched the show, and I love it, yet that might be the reason not to watch it. If its length is any indication of the amount of description that might be in there... The Mortal Instruments - with you on that too. I actually got the fourth and fifth books because I thought I would continue; I read the fourth, but I would say your reasons for not reading it are reasons why I have stopped myself. I'm the opposite of you on Looking for Alaska. My friend has been trying to get to me read it for ages, but I've passed and I read TFiOS and everyone seems so impressed by it, and it's good, just not my thing. Of course my friend says that it's her least favorite work of his, and I should continue with Alaska, but that doesn't make the prospect any less intimidating. Why do you hate horror? I generally am not a fan of horror movies--probably wouldn't say distaste, but your fear assessment would be true--but books with the creepy vibe like Between the Devil seem to work out all right? I wish you luck with all these books! Maybe we'll be able to read these soon...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good list, A Song of Ice and Fire also makes my list. I've just read Looking for Alaska and The Fault in our Stars was my first John Green book and I loved Looking for Alaska even more than The Fault in Our Stars so I think it's worth a try.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I originally didn't want to read the ASOIAF books because they're just SO long and it's such a time commitment, but once you start...you just can't stop. They're addicting.

    This is Not a Test is a GREAT BOOK! The zombie stuff is mostly in the background. It's not like The Walking Dead if you're worried about something like that. It's more about the main character's mental state than what the zombies are up to. Give it a try. Trust me!

    ReplyDelete