Top Ten Words/Topics That Would Make me NOT Pick up a Book


Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

1. Horror- I really hate this genre. It makes me not sleep, so I try to avoid it.

2. Zombie- I clearly can't stand horror and well, zombies are as horrible as you can get. I really love Susan Dennard's books because despite the fact that they have zombies, it's not in your face disgusting, let me eat your brains!

3. Love-triangle- These are only great if done well. And most of the time they're not done well.

4. Insta-love- No, just no. Get out of my life.

5. A Bunch of Random Adjectives In the Description- If a books description has a bunch of random adjectives in it describing its supposed amazingness, odds are it is overcompensating for a huge lack of adoration towards it.

6. Gore/Bloody- I like to sleep and not have nightmares about murders, thank you.

7. Non-Fiction- Sends me running for the hills all day every day.

8. Poetry- I do not understand you, therefor I do not like you.
9. Incest- I get some people like this, but I don't. I avoid these books at all costs. THE POSTCARD KILLERS by James Patterson was a huge DNF for me because of the random incest that was never mentioned in the synopses or I would not have wasted my money on it.

10. Twilight- If a book is like this book, I won't like it. If it is a fan-fiction of this book, I DON'T WANT TO KNOW.

11. Religion- Please don't shove my beliefs down your throat. Thanks.

5 comments:

  1. Aw, no blood guts and gore, huh? Don't read I Hunt Killers, then! I love murder books and horror, though I haven't found a good scary one yet. My TTT.

    Vyki @ On The Shelf

    ReplyDelete
  2. Incest = Game of Thrones, so I'd have to say that wouldn't be on my list haha! But insta-love bugs me. And I hate zombies (even though I do love horror novels) Why? There's so much "wandering around," and not a lot usually happens. I also agree that most of the time, love-triangles are not done well. An exception would have to be the Unearthly series. That was a fantastic love triangle :D Love the list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you wouldn't like half of my favorite books! I love scary and gory and zombies! I grew up with a bunch of brothers so that could be why I don't scare easy. I don't like incest in books either. The guy who wrote Wicked, wrote a Snow White retelling and the incest was so crazy in that one. I didn't like it much. And I couldn't agree more with the bunch of adjectives one. You make a strong case!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel the exact same way about zombies. If the book contains description of deteriorating flesh or an explicit death scene due to zombies, no thank you!

    Yes, a million times to Twilight. That series has ruined a lot of things for me, specifically vampires.

    Here's my top ten!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Horror's not something I seek out, but it's not a dealbreaker, though it is for films.

    Zombies, though, I love. The Newsflesh trilogy is one of my favorite things ever.

    ReplyDelete