Top Ten Contemporary Books


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and Bookish.

So...last week's topic was top ten contemporary books that you think would be great compared with required reading. And, well, I hate required reading. Required reading makes me take a book I love and struggle through it. So, I'm just going to share with you my top ten contemporary books a week late because I was preparing to move into college!

And well, because I love contemporary books, I'm going to give you ten books plus one book for good luck!

In no particular order...

1. Easy by Tammara Webber

This was the first new adult book that I have ever read, so it'll always have a special place in my heart.

But all things aside, I really loved this book. I loved how it was a girl power book that tackled subjects like overcoming male intimidation and defining oneself in a new environment. I can understand such a thing so greatly right now because of my own entrance into college. I think every female college student should read this at one point or another.








2. Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry

So...I love darker novels. And this book is dark and awesome.

There's really nothing else to say. It's taken in directions I never saw coming and it's beautifully written. McGarry is a contemporary force to be reckoned with.

Plus, parts of it were written in my hometown. So that's automatic immense love right there.







3. Something Like Normal by Trish Doller

I absolutely despise books about war, yet I loved every second of Doller's debut because of its brutal honesty. This paints a new side of war...what our soldiers experience when they're home. How the atrocities that they witness day after day while on duty are inescapable.

How normal seems like an unreachable concept.

It's a short quick read and it's immensely powerful. It makes me even more thankful for those who risk their lives fighting for our country. I have so much respect for these people, especially since I don't have the courage to do something like this myself.



4. The Book of Broken Hearts by Sarah Ockler

So, in my review, I compared the general dynamic of this book to PERFECT CHEMISTRY by Simone Elkeles. And I stand by that original stance, but that doesn't take away from the fact that this was an awesome book.

It tackled the concept of early on-set Alzheimer's. I studied this in psychology class previously and such a disease scares the crap out of me. Watching someone lose themselves without realizing that they are losing themselves is absolutely heartbreaking, especially if you know them or are a loved one.

Ockler captured the tension and intense emotions beautifully while weaving an awesome family dynamic, a strong love of ones culture, and inescapable boy drama.


5. The Distance Between Us by Kasie West

This was my first Kasie West book and I am so happy I read this. I desperately want to check out her other novels now because she's an amazing writing that easily keeps my attention.

Not only that, but this book had me laughing out loud constantly. Who doesn't love to laugh?

I highly recommend this one!







6. This Song Will Save Your Life by Leila Sales

This book was so unexpectedly powerful that I was nearly left speechless. It deals with bullying, cyber-bullying, suicide, finding oneself, music, escaping reality. Everything you can think of. And in less than 300 pages it deals with it in such a beautifully breathtaking way that you can't help but love it.

It's the perfect serious and powerful read without it being shove-down-your-throat serious. At times, it almost has a light air to it.

Sales is an amazing author. That's all I have to say!




7. The Beginning of Everything by Robyn Schneider

This is one of my all-time favorite contemporaries ever, mostly because I can relate to the overall concept of the story; the fact that your life is born from tragedy. I bawled because of my deep connection to this book and I highly recommend reading my review.

With that aside, Ezra has a dry sense of humor that really appealed to me and the unlimited amount of puns found in every chapter is amazing. I will read anything Schneider publishes.






8. Losing It by Cora Carmack

Another new adult has made the list!

I enjoy Carmack's work because it's honest. Instead of disgusting slut-shaming, this almost has virgin-shaming. You know, the awkwardness that some people feel for being a virgin in this day and age. This not only makes it fresh, but it makes it hilarious and relatable.

It's a fun read that's easy to connect to. What more could you ask for?






9. The Summer I Became a Nerd by Leah Rae Miller

This book is so unique it kills me. It has LARPing (live action role-playing) and a lot of comic book stuff. It's just so perfect. I tend to not like things like this, but I adored this book because it gave us such a fresh take on being a nerd. And, hey, aren't we all nerds?

I do have to say that our main character is slightly frustrating at times, but you should read the book anyway because of Awesome Logan.






10. Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

First of all, it's set in Paris. But it also has flawed characters. It's a slow-going romance with twists and turns and it emphasizes the fact that if you love someone you love them for them and their flaws. All of these characters are flawed, and that makes them all the more lovable.

Perkins is just amazing! <3







11. The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith

There's nothing much to say about this book aside from the fact that it's perfect and adorable. It makes me think that love at first sight can be real instead of everything just being lust at first sight. And, let me tell you, that takes a lot of convincing for me. haha

7 comments:

  1. Haha, I was coming down and starting to wonder where the Stephanie Perkins is :) She's the one who made me fall in love with contemporary so she's special :D Great list Lili!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! I wasn't a huge contemporary fan until I read ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS. Not the biggest fan of Lola, but hoping Isla is amazing! <3

      Delete
    2. Agreed, I'm definitely on the edge of my seat for Isla :D

      Delete
  2. I haven't read every book on this list, but I do love the ones that I have read! Nerd books for the win!
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a lot of those books! I'm so excited for Crash Into You, since I really liked the first two. This Song Will Save Your Life was an amazing book, too. Great picks :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only one on this list that I read and enjoyed is This Song Will Save Your Life. I just finished it the other night, and though I did have some struggles with Elise, I really did love this one.

    I didn't like Easy at all, and I DNF The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight. The former, I disliked because I'm tired of sexual assault being a catalyst to romance, and also all the lies between the two MCs. The former because it just simply wasn't for me; it wasn't a bad book at all, but just not my cup of tea.

    What I love about contemporary books is that they're so vast in variety that there's a contemporary pick out there for everyone's taste :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can never say no to the Summer I Became a Nerd. I am forever in debt to you for showing me the adorkableness that is that beautiful book. And Anna <3 so much love! I agree with all of these (the ones that I've read of course) :D

    ReplyDelete