Review: Faking it by Cora Carmack

Series: Losing It #2
Publication Date: June 4, 2013
Publisher: William Morrow & Company
Reading Level: New Adult, 18+
Pages: 323 (Paperback)
Source: BEA 2013
Mackenzie “Max” Miller has a problem. Her parents have arrived in town for a surprise visit, and if they see her dyed hair, tattoos, and piercings, they just might disown her. Even worse, they’re expecting to meet a nice, wholesome boyfriend, not a guy named Mace who has a neck tattoo and plays in a band. All her lies are about to come crashing down around her, but then she meets Cade.

Cade moved to Philadelphia to act and to leave his problems behind in Texas. So far though, he’s kept the problems and had very little opportunity to take the stage. When Max approaches him in a coffee shop with a crazy request to pretend to be her boyfriend, he agrees to play the part. But when Cade plays the role a little too well, they’re forced to keep the ruse going. And the more they fake the relationship, the more real it begins to feel.
~*~Lili's Reflections~*~

I've been in Hell when it comes to the new adult genre recently. I haven't found any tolerable ones. And then I finally picked up FAKING IT and my love of new adult was re-instilled. This is everything a new adult novel should be and more.

Cade and Max are two of my favorite characters ever. They're both putting up a front because of terrible pasts that have shaped them to be who they are. So Mr. Perfect may not be so perfect after all, and Angry Girl may be more than just pissed at the world. It's a great dynamic that I wanted more and more of. It was absolutely wonderful to watch their growth throughout the book.

The romance...holy cow, the romance and chemistry are completely off the charts. They're so completely opposite yet so much alike emotionally. They are perfect and imperfect and everything a true romance should be. They're not soul mates, they're getting together doesn't make the stars align, but it makes them both happy for seemingly the first time ever in their 22 years of living on this Earth. They're being together is perfect for them and this is one romance that I really, really loved. It was slow going but powerful and passionate--the way any romance really should be. It's scary beautiful.

And Cade! Don't even get me started on how much I love Golden Boy, okay? Golden Boy may not be so golden after all. He's got some darker tendencies if you can guess what I mean, and it just makes him all the more addicting. It was really nice to see him and hear from his perspective because of the alternating POV's in this book since he was a secondary character in book one. It was terrible to see his heart thrown in a blender in this story and, in truth, he invoked stronger feelings in me than Garrick or Bliss was able to do. 

The same goes for Max. She was a firecracker that seemingly loved to slap Cade if she wasn't kissing him, but she was absolutely amazing. She was struggling to do what she wanted when her parents voiced that they don't really support her dream. She was putting on a facade and it was Cade's job to break down her walls and show her that the world isn't the complete shitty place she deemed it to be. I loved her and her tattoos and her piercings and her dyed hair so much. She wasn't trying to make a statement, she was trying to be herself. In her own way, Max was a complete work of art.

As always, Carmack's writing was amazing and it easily invoked powerful emotions in me. I stayed up until 1 in the morning to finish the book. Watching emotional characters was amazing. Max, the more emotional of the two, was more likely to spin off the handle. Her perspective was really interesting which contrasts with Cade's. While he was interesting, he was more reserved and controlled except for the few times he simply couldn't help himself. He was a passionate person that often had emotions stirring inside him that he tried not to truly leak to the outside. Carmack managed to write both perfectly while keeping her ever loved humor present. Let's just say my new favorite word is catastrofuck and one day, I really want to use this saying:
My personal bubble popped like a frat boy's collar.
While the title is clearly Faking It, their actual getting together is something straight out of a book. They're faking it within minutes of meeting each other and it's just not the way reality works. And then there's Milo...It seems that all the secondary characters were in the story as Max's friends. Cade really had no one besides Bliss and Garrick who rarely made appearances (twice I think) and then the Mexican that liked to salsa at ten in the morning that lived across the hall: Milo. Milo really only seemed to be present when necessary and useful, and that bugged me. Carmack didn't explore many relationships on Cade's side, really only Max's. Max had her band, her boyfriend, her co-workers, her evil parents, her sister-in-law that should drive off a cliff, and her older brother. Cade had one to two time mentions of people. That was it, and it bugged me a lot.

My other complaint, as Gillian put it, chapter 27 should have been never-ending.

This series is a must read for all new adult fans. It's perfect, and I couldn't stress how much I love it. Carmack is a favorite author of mine. But, really, this book is meant for those who can handle mature content. There's sex, mentions of drugs, drinking, violence, and cussing. 




4.5 stars

~*~Links~*~

Disclaimer: I did not receive any compensation in return for this positive review.  

5 comments:

  1. I always forget how much I loved this one! Carmack is one of the only NA authors that I truly adore! This was a great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I wholeheartedly agree! It's like nobody can really compare to how much I love her books since she's the only one who manages to stray from the cliches!

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you enjoyed this one!!! We love Cora Carmack!!

    Jennifer
    YA Sisterhood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How can you not love Cora Carmack?!?!

      Delete
  3. This book sounds really good. I hope my library has it. I want to read it!

    ReplyDelete