Review: Never Too Far by Abbi Glines

Series: Too Far #2
Publication Date: February 25, 2013
Reading Level: New Adult, 18+
Pages: 200 (eBook)
Source: Borrowed from a friend
He had held a secret that destroyed her world.

Everything she had known was no longer true.

Blaire couldn’t stop loving him but she knew she could never forgive him.
Now, she was back home and learning to live again. Moving on with life… until something happened to send her world spinning once again.
What do you do when the one person you can never trust again is the one that you need to trust so desperately?

You lie, hide, avoid, and pray that your sins never find you out.
~*~Lili's Reflections~*~

So, if you haven't read my review of book one, you should. You can find it here. To put it simply, I really really hated it. But I wanted to continue to see if Glines could redeem herself at all in my eyes. While this one was slightly better than book one, I can't say it blew me away at all and I was, again, left incredibly disappointed. Please do not read this review if you haven't read book one because it will contain many spoilers. I normally avoid spoilers in reviews, but aspects of this series bother me so much that I have to use them. All quotes below were taken directly from my eBook.

The writing in this one wasn't as bad as book one, but it still needed some work. While the grammar wasn't the best, spelling was much better. But the biggest issue I found was that all the dialogue seemed forced. Apparently, contractions can't exist in dialogue in this book so all the characters speak awkwardly and it's not at all fluid. Instead, open heart to hearts seemed really unemotional and melodramatic because the lack of emotional connection and solid writing made everything seem, well, bland. Here's an example:
Cain, stop this. You're my friend. What we had died a long time ago. I walked in on you doing things to another girl you shouldn't have been. That night everything changed. I love you but I am not in love with you and I never will be again. I need to pack and I need to move on with my life.
Robotic and not at all dramatic, huh? Sounds like she was trying to be dramatic, though.

Blaire, you're still really annoying. She's putting up her fake "I want to do things alone" act only to fall into Rush incredibly fast once again. She kept saying how she could never be with him over and over again. She sounded like an annoying broken record with a country twang.
I've forgiven him, Grant. I just can't forget. What we were or what we were headed toward is over. It will never be again. I can't let it. My heart won't allow me to. But I'll always listen to him. I care about him. 
That was a quote spoken by Blaire from 28% into my eBook. Some variation of that same line was said practically every chapter. And not only that, the writing was awkward and in short sentences. Very annoying and entirely inescapable and made worse by the fact that Blaire would take Rush back, then push him away, then take him back, then push him away. Make up your mind, girl! And while you're at it, stop being jealous if you're the one who keeps pushing him away.

I thought that it would be slightly redeeming to see Rush a lot in this book since there were actually alternating POV chapters between the two, but I think his mind actually hurt the book more than it did help it. Every chapter was some variation of him going:
No. One. Comes. Before. You.
Exact quote and all. He has to stress is so much it's like he's grounding it out through his teeth. And it's said every single chapter because Blaire can't believe him and he does a bad job convincing her of it. I like his sudden turnaround, but the bad boy he was in book one completely disappeared to be replaced by a boy who is so desperate he often begs and pleads for things. His jealousy issues are just as bad as Blaire's now as well. All his confidence, gone, to be replaced by, well, a weenie-like little kid.

Rush also repeatedly explained in his inner monologues that he wanted his relationship with her to be better. He didn't want it all to be about sex. But it was. Again. Because they can't not have sex. That's their relationship: sex. If sex was not an option these two would not be together because their relationship had no real emotional bond whatsoever. I really want that emotional bond, but instead Glines used Blaire's pregnancy hormones as an excuse for them to have sex a million and one times a day. If I had to hear about her chest growing one more time, so help me. And, piece of advice Rush, yelling out "ARRRRRGHHHHH" while you're having sex just makes me think you're a pirate. Stop. Clearly, this book contains a lot of detailed sex scenes and I highly recommend following the 18+ aged reader suggestion.

And Cain takes a rather big part in this one because he, like Rush and Blaire, repeats himself constantly. Every character in this novel suffers from broken record syndrome. Stop with the repetitiveness! Every scene involving Cain, there was something along these lines:
You don't have to go with him. I told you that I could fix this. You have me, B. You've always had me.
First of all, it's really ugly when guys beg like children. Secondly, she's never had you because when she did, you cheated on her. Thirdly, you say you're there for her but you still go and hook up with Callie. A lot. While you're trying to convince her that your heart belongs to hear. Way to think with the wrong head, buddy.

Only one guy in this damn book has a brain and that is Woods. Woods, I love you. That's all there is to it. I'd really love a book with you because you're not only a good boss, but a good friend. You help out, you consider someone's feelings, and you want what's best for them without being selfish. Every other male in this novel could learn from you. Jace and Bethy as always were awesome. Bethy, you're a kick-ass friend, but you switched your feelings in regards to Rush just as fast as you could change your clothes. Make up your mind, girl.

Nan was still terrible. I can't even bring myself to talk about this girl who lives in an alternate reality and actually cries and tries to guilt her family into siding with her because "they're taking someone else's side." Little Princess must always get what Little Princess wants. Cry me a river.

But perhaps the biggest issue that I had with this book was the big secret. You remember my mention of the secret in book one that was revealed at the end, right? Well, in this one, it's all blown to heck and back. Lies, lies, lies. Why would you lie about a secret that could ruin someone's life, allow it to ruin someone's life, and then grow a heart? No, just no. Rush's Mom and Nan and Blaire's Dad, Abe, all need to grow this wonderfully awesome organ called a heart. If they were honest from the beginning so much unnecessary drama that just ruined the plot instead of adding to it could have been avoided and then this book would have actually been likable!

The insta-love continues with a marriage proposal within two and a half months of their initial encounter, probably within a month and a half of their getting together. Not to mention a 19 year old is now pregnant and engaged to a rich guy who can do everything for her. But she someone keeps her dignity by insisting on working. For two weeks. And letting him buy her everything else.

I have nothing left to say.

The one redeeming aspect of this book was Woods. Woods, you get an extra half star for actually being a character with a good head on their shoulders.

Will I continue to book three? If I don't have to pay for it. My curiosity is piqued enough. It's true what the quote in book one said: this series is like a train wreck. You can't look away no matter how much you want to.
 


1.5 stars

~*~Links~*~

5 comments:

  1. *dies laughing* Oh, Lili, I love you. I wanted to like Abbi's books, but they drive me insane for all the reasons you list. I also dislike the social ramifications of her characters sexual relationships. I hate that all her girls are virgins, and the guys are manwhores who change their ways. There is zero creativity, first of all. Secondly, she's basically saying it's not okay for a girl to be active with her sexuality until she finds The One, but it's okay for guys to stick it to anything and everything.

    And yes, Woods has always been my favorite because he's the only male character who isn't a total and complete douche. Also because he and his girl are the ones who kind of defy that virgin/bad boy thing Abbi has going on. Too bad she RUINED him. I suggest you not read Simple Perfection, unless you really want to go off on her. It's absolutely horrid.

    Thank you for sharing this review. You made my day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty much. I have issues with views like this on sex too. Some people are like that, yes. But a lot of people aren't. What about those of us who don't fit this weird little mold new adult has going?

      They do! Ugh, I haven't read anything past this book in this series, which is a shame because I did enjoy her first book in the Vincent Boys series, though the second could have been way better. :/

      And of course, lovely!

      Delete
  2. I haven't read any of Abbi's books because I have heard so many ups and downs about them. I'm just not sure she is an author I would want to follow. Thanks for the honest review; you very rarely see (or at least I don't) reviews that thoroughly describe why you didn't like a book.

    Jennifer
    YA Sisterhood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. I mean, I didn't want to sit here and say I hated this character and not explain why. I found too many flaws in their characterization :/ and nothing really grew from the first book.

      Delete
  3. I read this entire series during one of the read-a-thons I did over the summer and oh man WORST EVER. Although I did kinda like this one, the first was horrible and I'm pretending the third doesn't exist at all because it shouldn't. It's utterly pointless and serves nothing in terms of character or plot development.

    ReplyDelete