Top Ten Best and Worst Series Endings


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and Bookish.

So, before I begin, I just want to say that I have an aversion to finishing series. It was very rare for this to happen prior to me book blogging. Now that I book blog this is a different story, but there's still only so many series I have finished because sometimes there's just so much time between books! It's so sad!

In no particular order...

~*~Best Endings~*~

 
1. The Bitter Kingdom by Rae Carson, last book in the Fire and Thorns trilogy

This is the way an ending should be. It not only summed up all plot points and had some serious carnage, but it made you both happy and sad. It was serious yet constantly had me laughing and it summed up so many character arcs beautifully. Truly, this will not disappoint.






2. Rogue by Gina Damico, last book in the Croak trilogy

This book promises hilarity because that is what Damico is known for, but this is the perfect way to satisfactorily end a series while being heartbreaking. And, while heartbreaking, it leaves you with a bit of hope. Couldn't have asked for a better ending!






3. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows by J.K. Rowling, last book in the Harry Potter series

The perfect way to end a beloved series. Just goes to show that a little bit of cheesiness can go a long way when done properly!






~*~Worst Endings~*~


1. Destined by Aprilynne Pike, last book in the Wings series

This just shows that a lot of cheese doesn't always work out. I enjoyed it the first time I read it, prior to being a blogger, but now that my interests are more finely tuned, I just can't.







2. Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins, last book in the Hunger Games trilogy

This book made me so mad! Don't go back on something that drove the entire series to begin. I also found this one hard to get through. It was a trudge compared to book one and book two. Speaking of which, book two still wasn't as great as book one, but it was better than this!





3. Outside In by Maria V. Snyder, last book in the Insiders duology

By no means is this one of the worst series enders ever, but this just goes to show that you'll get a bad taste in your mouth when the second book in a duology is not as great as the first.







4. Breaking Dawn by Stephanie Meyer, last book in the Twilight series

Too much cheesiness and a lack of amazing writing does not leave a good taste in your mouth.








5. Immortal Hearts by Ellen Schreiber, last book in the Vampire Kisses series

I really have nothing to say about this and I cringe at the fact that I enjoyed these when I was younger.








6. The City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare, last book in The Mortal Instruments series 

I still think that this series should have remained a trilogy, so I don't think this book is at all necessary.






Only 9, but I think it's a solid enough list. Link me to your TTT posts!

8 comments:


  1. I agree with you about Deathly Hallows and Mockingjay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Harry Potter! How could I forget about Harry Potter?!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a feeling that I'm going to be one of the only people who has Mockingjay in their like pile. Lol. I've always been a fan of being the dark horse! I can't wait to get to The Bitter Kingdom though!
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a feeling Harry Potter will be on everyones Best Endings list.. and man did, I hate Mockingjays ending.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely agree with both Mockingjay and Breaking Dawn, i really enjoyed both series before the last book. (Though my opinion on Twilight has now changed dramatically)

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never met a person who has hated the Deathly Hallows ending...and I never want to meet them. Great list!


    Aly @ My Heart Hearts Books
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree about TMI so much, book 3 should have been the end of the series. The ones after just feel so disorganized and chaotic, like she didn't plan them at all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You bring up a great point w/ COHF, City Of Glass was perfect!
    -Scott Reads It!

    ReplyDelete