Top Ten Books I Was "Forced" To Read


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and Bookish.

This week's topic is the top ten books I was "forced" to read either in school or by overenthusiastic friends.

In no particular order...

 
1. The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

I was forced to read this book for an online young adult literature and cultural exchanges course during my junior year of high school. I had previously been avoiding it because I knew it would make me bawl. Well, it did make me bawl, but it also gave me one of my all time favorite books ever.





2. Alanna: The First Adventure by Tamora Pierce

Gillian forced me to read this book. Hell, she forced a lot of people to read it. It's one of her ultimate favorites because it was so important to her throughout her childhood. Plus, after reading it, I totally understand why!






3. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

My first ever favorite classic book! Really, my favorite legitimate classic ever. I was forced to read it in my junior years honors English course, and I finished a reading meant to last an entire month in a single night.





4. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

It just so happens that in October of 2008, my teacher gave us this huge book survey about what we like in reading. I made a huge point about how I hated fighting and death. She then gave us our first book report project which was to read a book of her choosing taken off of a list of books that were released in the last 3 months (so that there was no way we could cheat) that is outside of our comfort zone. She found this one on an Amazon list and assigned it to me. I bought it the next day and immediately fell in love with it. <3


5. Princess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day George

A while ago, Gillian and I did an event called March Fantasy Month. For that month, all we could read were fantasy books that we chose for each other. She assigned me Jessica Day George, and I'm so thankful she did because this is one of my favorite re-tellings ever.





6. The Fault In Our Stars by John Green

This was general peer pressure from my friends and other bloggers, but I read this mainly because my one friend, Sam, threatened to disown me unless I read it. She's a huge John Green fan due to both his writing and his vlogging and because I had nothing to do with either prior to reading this book, she was completely appalled. 





My friend, Fay, actually forced me to read this book. I hadn't read a book prior to this one in several months and she was mad about that. She was determined to change that and the rest is history.





8. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Believe it or not, my Gramma forced me to read this book about seven months after it came out. I completely fell in love with it and it became an ultimate favorite. Then, hilariously, I was forced to re-read it for my young adult literature and cultural exchanges course that I took as a junior in high school, and it just further cemented my love for this story.



 



9. Sweet Peril by Wendy Higgins

Krista at Nawanda Files wanted me to read this book so bad that she bought me a copy to make sure I read it. It got onto this list because it was a solid story that didn't suffer from sequel syndrome in the slightest.






My AP World History teacher wanted to lessen the workload a bit so we did a book and movie tie-in for an important part of history. I knew that this book would be tough despite it's short length so I would not have ever read it if not for this class. And let me just say I am thankful for being forced to read it because it is so much better than the movie!

5 comments:

  1. It's so cool to see Princess of the Midnight Ball on your list! Gallagher Girls and The Hunger Games made it onto my list, too. :)

    http://bookworm716.blogspot.com/2013/10/top-ten-tuesday-books-i-was-forced-to.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot about Princess at the Midnight Ball! I really liked that book too! I think Gillian should just run a book club where she forces people to read all the good books!
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really glad you liked GG, and Book Thief is on my list too! I had to read it for my adolescent lit class in college! Great list, Lili!

    Mary @ Mary Had a Little Book Blog
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  4. I HAVE DONE YOU A GOOD. MY WORK HERE IS FINISHED.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The fault in our stars, yay! So glad you were forced to read that one. Also, super glad you liked Sweet Peril, Lili :D

    ReplyDelete