Adult Review: On Dublin Street by Samantha Young

Series: On Dublin Street #1
Publication Date: August 31, 2012
Publisher: NAL Trade
Reading Level: Adult, 18+
Pages: 322 (Paperback)
Source: Trade
Jocelyn Butler has been hiding from her past for years. But all her secrets are about to be laid bare…

Four years ago, Jocelyn left her tragic past behind in the States and started over in Scotland, burying her grief, ignoring her demons, and forging ahead without attachments. Her solitary life is working well—until she moves into a new apartment on Dublin Street where she meets a man who shakes her carefully guarded world to its core.

Braden Carmichael is used to getting what he wants, and he’s determined to get Jocelyn into his bed. Knowing how skittish she is about entering a relationship, Braden proposes an arrangement that will satisfy their intense attraction without any strings attached.

But after an intrigued Jocelyn accepts, she realizes that Braden won’t be satisfied with just mind-blowing passion. The stubborn Scotsman is intent on truly knowing her… down to the very soul.
~*~Lili's Reflections~*~

I'm going to flat out say it...sometimes we all need to read a hot book. It's a mood that we get into. I personally don't experience this mood often, but I turned to ON DUBLIN STREET once one of these moods struck because this series is so greatly adored.

Without a doubt, this book satisfies one's desire for hotness. But, in all seriousness, it wasn't that amazing aside from that. I didn't feel like there was much a plot and the writing did not wow me. It was simple and made for an incredibly quick and entertaining read, but it left me with no long-lasting feelings. When there wasn't something sexy going down, it was just satisfactory.

Our main character, Jocelyn, was extremely stubborn and rude. Really, she was super self-obsessed. She was very interesting because she is the first female that I have come across with commitment issues. I understand why she is the way she is and I totally felt for her, but at times she was incredibly frustrating. While it's easy to feel for her, it was not at all easy to connect with her because her mood swung so often. The second something good happened she would go and ruin it for herself. She's one of those. Her issues were annoying more than anything else and did nothing to further the plot.

And then there's our love interest Braden. He's your typical alpha male except he has a soft side for those he cares about. He has his own small emotional back-story, but I couldn't find myself feeling all that bad for him because his life was still ten times better than your average individual's. Problems of having most of your main characters being ridiculously rich, I suppose. He was an interesting character because of his attractive Scottish accent and genuine love for Jocelyn, but I found him to be controlling and the alpha-male act got old fast. Plus, he was the biggest fan of pet names and that is one of my ultimate pet peeves. He made me shiver in annoyance at least once every chapter, sometimes several times on a single page.

The kicker is that Braden's younger sister and Joss have a very interesting relationship. They're wonderful friends, but she's slightly too inquisitive at times. I don't know about you, but I would not be curious about my older brother's sex life. There are several plot twists having to deal with her which were done well, but she has relationship drama of her own that had me banging my head against a wall because I felt like I was deported back to high-school.

All in all, entertaining, but nothing special. If you want a quick, hot read, then I recommend this. I understand why it has such a huge following, but the overarching story in this one did not impress me. I will be continuing on with the series out of curiosity, but I will be going into it with realistic expectations.


3 stars

~*~Links~*~

No comments:

Post a Comment