Review: Champion by Marie Lu

Series: Legend #3
Publishers: Putnam Juvenile
Publication Date: November 5, 2013
Reading Level: Young Adult
Pages: 369 (Hardcover)
Source: Bought
The explosive finale to Marie Lu’s New York Times bestselling LEGEND trilogy—perfect for fans of THE HUNGER GAMES and DIVERGENT!

He is a Legend.
She is a Prodigy.
Who will be Champion?

June and Day have sacrificed so much for the people of the Republic—and each other—and now their country is on the brink of a new existence. June is back in the good graces of the Republic, working within the government’s elite circles as Princeps Elect while Day has been assigned a high level military position. But neither could have predicted the circumstances that will reunite them once again. Just when a peace treaty is imminent, a plague outbreak causes panic in the Colonies, and war threatens the Republic’s border cities. This new strain of plague is deadlier than ever, and June is the only one who knows the key to her country’s defense. But saving the lives of thousands will mean asking the one she loves to give up everything he has. With heart-pounding action and suspense, Marie Lu’s bestselling trilogy draws to a stunning conclusion.
~*~Lili's Reflections~*~

The following review will be short because I cannot properly express my thoughts. CHAMPION blew me away entirely, and I cannot verbally do it justice. I'm simply sitting here with my mouth hanging open in awe. I suppose you now have the right to call me Guppy.

This book made me feel all the feels! I can't even process it right now. It was perfect and brutal, happy and sad. This is the way a series should be ended because it goes out with an emotional bang that is filled with both the positive and the negative. The random people sitting around me at the time of my completion of this book can attest to the fact that I was an emotional wreck fighting back tears from the sheer perfection of it all. Lu has made me feel because every single one of her characters means so much to me. I am sad to see them go, but so proud of their journey.

This paragraph has a minor spoiler from the end of book two. Skip it if you have not read book two yet. One of the most compelling aspects of this novel was the fact that June will (obviously) eventually learn of Day's terrible illness. I truly believe that Lu's amazing writing style shined through this aspect of the novel because the mere mention of his sickness put a terrible feeling in my gut. Because he is so beloved, his terrible afflictions coincided with the sickening feelings one gets when reading about disturbing acts and terrible familial losses. He's so amazing that his sickness made me uncomfortable because it was so undesired. Bravo, Marie Lu, for making me feel so strongly!

The character growth in this book is nearly indescribable. June's selflesness and determination shines through everywhere, Day's determination is evident in every word, Eden's growth and development of being independent was done perfectly. Really, I can say nothing wrong. This book, I feel, was largely driven by Eden despite the fact that Day and June are our overall main characters. I loved having Eden be such an integral part of the plot, especially near the end. His presence was something new and it easily brightened up the dark days that the Republic was experiencing.

Building off of that, there was a lot of relationship growth on this book as well. Both romantic growth and friendly growth. The romance left your heart pounding and the friendships left you smiling. The inner-workings of so many relationships that coincided incidentally was done beautifully. It was perfection, really.

Lu's amazing attention to detail is also displayed in the elaborate wartime set-ups and series of final showdowns that occur several times throughout the novel. I was constantly on my toes, my heart was beating fast for every single page, and I could not get enough of it. She is truly an addicting writer, and I will forever be a slave of hers. She is simply a must-read.

And, I suppose, I have to talk about the ending. It's bittersweet. It was set up beautifully so that one can understand everything. It gives you hope just as it tears you apart. And it clearly displays that it is impossible to separate those who are meant to be.

I guess all I can say now is goodbye to our beloved champions. Goodbye to my favorite legend, Day and my favorite prodigy, June. Goodbye to everyone, but you bet your bottom that I will never say farewell to this republic. 



 5 stars

~*~Links~*~

2 comments:

  1. I'm currently reading this right now, and I'm so happy to hear that this trilogy has a good ending. I love that all the relationships develop more, too. Amazing review, Lili! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm terrified to read this. No really, I know what you mean about *spoiler*Day's illness*endspoiler* and it left me feeling absolutely awful after finishing Prodigy. That being said, I'm also glad to hear this book is a good ending. I don't know if I'm ready to read it just yet though...

    -P.E. @ The Sirenic Codex

    ReplyDelete