2013 End of the Year Book Survey!


This is a yearly survey hosted by Jamie at the Perpetual Page Turner. Credit for the graphic goes to her as well.

I'm not going to get much reading done this month because I have two weeks of finals and then the holidays, so I thought it would be nice to do a little survey to see where this year has taken me reading-wise.

~*~Best in Books 2013~*~

1. Best Book You Read in 2013? (If you have to cheat you can break it down by genre of 2013 release vs. backlist)
Ah, this is so hard! Can I just direct you to the post I did for yesterday that was my top ten (really 20+) books of 2013 that can be found here?

2. Book You Were Excited About And Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn't?
Roomies by Sara Zarr and Tara Altebrando, but that doesn't come out till 2014 so hmm...I'm going to say The Art of Wishing by Lindsay Ribar. It was not what I was hoping it would be and, blah.

3. Most Suprising (In A Good Way!) Book of 2013?
Vicious by V.E. Schwab surprised me in so many amazing ways. I can't even begin to describe how much I adored this dark, twisted, demented book.

4. Book You Read In 2013 That You Recommended Most To People In 2013?
For the adult readers I most often recommend Vicious by V.E. Schwab. For fantasy readers and retelling nuts I like to recommend Of Beast and Beauty by Stacey Jay. For those who like powerful contemporaries I recommend This Song Will Save Your Life by Leila Sales and The Beginning of Everything by Robyn Schneider is serious, but meant for the biggest fans of puns. And for readers who just want something cute to read The Summer I Became A Nerd by Leah Rae Miller is perfect.

5. Best Series You Discovered in 2013?
The Girl of Fire and Thorn series by Rae Carson! I read all 3 this year and I'm an idiot for waiting so long to read this series! A close second would definitely be The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner. I need more! Thank you so much, Gillian, for forcing both these series on me.

6. Favorite New Author You Discovered in 2013?
Rae Carson, Leila Sales, Kasie West, Megan Whalen Turner, Tamora Pierce, Brodi Ashton, & more! The list goes on and on and on and on.

7. Best Book That Was Out Of You Comfort Zone or Was A New Genre For You?
All The Truth That's In Me by Julie Berry was super out of my comfort zone because the writing style was so unique. Something so new and rare in young adult fiction sort of scared me, but I adored the book as a whole and I'm so thankful I gave it a shot.

8. Most Thrilling Unputdownable Book In 2013?
Vicious by V.E. Schwab, it definitely took me places I've never been before and Cress by Marissa Meyer was completely unputdownable.

9. Book You Read In 2013 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
I don't really re-read anything aside from my ULTIMATE favorites like THE BOOK THIEF by Markus Zusak. Everyone I know must read it or I can't be in your presence if you don't at least plan to read it.

10. Favorite Cover Of A Book You Read In 2013?
Vicious by V.E. Schwab is one of my favorite covers because of the way they are done. I also adore the covers for Marissa Meyer's series and Cress is one of my all time favorites.

11. Most Memorable Character In 2013?
Thorne from Cress by Marissa Meyer was so perfect. He is the perfect blend of sass, handsomeness, charm, and intelligence. Elisa from The Girl of Fire and Thorn series by Rae Carson is also my ideal heroine. Throughout the series she grew so much and she really blew me away in book three. This is the way heroines should be!

12. Most Beautifully Written Book Read In 2013?
Of Beast and Beauty by Stacey Jay. The very beginning and end of this series were just...breathtaking. Of course, everything in-between was rather awesome, too.

13. Book That Had The Greatest Impact On You In 2013?
The Beginning of Everything by Robyn Schneider had the greatest impact on me because it pretty much took the theme of my life and put it in a story.

14. Book You Can't Believe You Waiting UNTIL 2013 To Read?
Alanna: The First Adventure by Tamora Pierce and The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner. Thank you for the recommendations, Gillian! I also can't believe it took so long for me to start The Girl of Fire and Thorns.

15. Favorite Passage/Quote You Read From A Book In 2013?
I suck with quotes. Oops.

16. Shortest & Longest Book You Read in 2013?
Shortest:  
Anatomy of a Boyfriend by Daria Snadowsky, 272 pages
If we count ARCs...Heartbeat by Elizabeth Scott, 226 pages
Longest:
Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare, 570 pages
Close second...Cress by Marissa Meyer, 560 pages

17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!
These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman & Meagan Spooner. All I've gotta say is that everyone who has read it knows the scene I am talking about! Then there is Cress by Marissa Meyer The entire book really, but Gillian can admit I freaked out on DM about a certain thing near the end.

18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2013 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).
Romance:
My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick had one of the sweetest romances I have ever read. Elisa and Hector from The Bitter Kingdom by Rae Carson deserves all the love as well. One of the best couples of all time if you ask me. Talk about a slow burn romance!

Family:
My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick also houses the best family I have ever met. All I have to say is the Garretts are a family that should be found in young adult literature more often. They are full of love, not hatred, and I wish we had more functional families than dysfunctional ones.

19. Favorite Book You've Read In 2013 From An Author You Read Previously?
Any of Rae Carson's novels, as well as Marie Lu. I love them both and neither have disappointed me ever.

20. Best Book You Read In 2013 That You Read SOLELY Based On A Recommendation From Someone Else?
This Song Will Save Your Life by Leila Sales was recommended to me by Kierra, but Gillian made me get it at BEA. I wouldn't have read it nor gotten it without these girls and I am so happy I read it because of how much I loved it, so thank you! <3

21. Genre You Read The Most From In 2013?
Contemporary. I mean, overall, non-contempoary books, but when you break them down to their specific genres (like sci-fi, paranormal, fantasy etc) contemporary wins. This is super surprising because I normally don't read a lot of contemporary. I guess I'm more open to it now then I ever have been in the past!

22. Newest Fictional Crush From A Book You Read In 2013?
The Bitter Kingdom by Rae Carson gave me the best new crush ever. All I've gotta say is: Why, hello, Hector!

23. Best 2013 Debut You Read?
Ah! Such a hard question! Best contemporary debut goes to The Summer I Became A Nerd by Leah Rae Miller. Best science fiction debut goes to All Our Yesterdays by Cristin Terrill. Best dystopian debut goes to Arclight by Josin L. McQuein and the best fantasy debut goes to Poison by Bridget Zinn, who will definitely be missed.

24. Most Vivid World/Imagery In A Book You Read In 2013?
Definitely The Bitter Kingdom by Rae Carson or Of Beast and Beauty by Stacey Jay. I could imagine both worlds so beautifully and perfectly and, ah, bravo is all I have to say.

25. Book That Was The Most Fun To Read In 2013?
The Distance Between Us by Kasie West had me cackling, as did Also Known As by Robin Benway.
The Summer I Became A Nerd by Leah Rae Miller took me to new hysterical places with LARPing and, most recently, I read a 2014 release entitled Ask Again Later by Liz Czukas that I can't wait for everyone else to read and cackle at, too.

26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry In 2013?
The Fault In Our Stars by John Green made me bawl my eyes out. But, hey, it's a good sign if an author knows how to tug on the heartstrings.

27. Book You Read In 2013 That Got Overlooked This Year Or When It Came Out?
I would say Anatomy of a Boyfriend by Daria Snadowsky. It was initially published in 2007 but experienced a resurgence of sorts in 2013.


~*~Book Blogging/Reading Life 2013~*~

1. New Favorite Book Blog You Discovered In 2013?
It's hard to believe that I befriended Gillian at Writer of Wrongs this year. I also feel like Christina from Reader of Fictions been in my life forever even though she hasn't. And there's so many more people I just met this year like ShaeSunny, BlytheEllis, Molli, KatieAngie, Jessie, Christianna, Meg, StephBekkaAshleighInkyBeccaKristaJenniferJenniMontanaSkyeRenaeJudithAlyssa, and Gaby. You made this year amazing and I couldn't live without any of you! I know I've known some of you much longer than a year, but you've all contributed into making this an amazing year.

Oh, and you guys also were integral to be surviving my crazy first semester of college and (most likely) the upcoming second because of the crazy roomie.

I'm super sorry if I forgot anyone! It's nearly 3am and I am exhausted!

2. Favorite Review That You Wrote In 2013?
The Beginning of Everything by Robyn Schneider because it took me to new places I never thought I'd go and I got really personal with my readers. I also got personal with my Roomies by Tara Altebrando & Sara Zarr review, but that was more about upbringing than emotions. But my Vicious by V.E. Schwab review was super hard to write because I'd never been taken such places before, so that deserves an honorable mention as well..

3. Best Discussion You Had On Your Blog?
The discussion on my biggest bookish pet peeve: Giveaway Goblins was the best discussion on my blog. It's the first discussion I've had where both sides of the spectrum were presented instead of everyone being on the same side. It's the way a discussion post should be.

4. Most Thought-Provoking Review Or Discussion You Read On Somebody Else's Blog?
Author Behavior on Shae Has Left the Room was definitely my favorite. I think it's a post the blogsophere needed because of all the drama there has been with author behavior throughout this year.

5. Best Event That You Participated In (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc)?
BEA 2013! I loved every minute of it and can't wait for BEA 2014! <3

6. Best Moment of Book Blogging/Your Book Life in 2013?
I'd say BEA! I met so many new people and made so many friends and gah, the love! <3 I also went to several signings this year and it was amazing to have an author recognize your blog simply by saying your name.

7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
The most popular post overall on my blog was my discussion post on Giveaway Goblins. It got the most comments I've ever gotten and was super controversial. I adored writing that one. My most popular review was my review of Vicious by V.E. Schwab.

8. Post You Wish Got A Little More Love?
My reviews in general. There's a terribly sucky feeling about posting reviews that take you hours and don't get a single comment even though they easily rack up more than fifty views. I wonder why this is and I'd love to find a way to change this.

9. Best Bookish Discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
Housing Works! Definitely my new favorite bookstore in NYC.

10. Did You Complete Any Reading Challenges or Goals That You Had Set For Yourself At The Beginning Of This Year?
Well, I completed by 130 book reading challenge on Goodreads which was a shock to me. I had a terrible transition to college and as I sit here I'm sort of dreading moving back to college at the end of January, so my reading plummeted. I only read 18 books over the course of three and a half months. How killer is that? I'm shocked I managed this year's reading challenge. Also, I formerly completed the debut author challenge by reading over seven debut authors this year.

~*~Looking Ahead...~*~

1. One book you didn't get to in 2013, but will be your number one priority in 2014?
Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowel! I wanted to read this so badly, but college kicked me in the butt and made it impossible to read.

2. Book You Are Most Anticipating for 2014 (non-debut)?
This is so hard. Can I just make a list? Lady Thief by A.C. Gaughen, What I Thought Was True by Huntley Fitzpatrick, Three by Kristen Simmons, The Unbound by Victoria Schwab, Avalon by Mindee Arnett, Strange and Ever After by Susan Dennard, The Art of Lainey by Paula Stokes, The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski and so many more! I've actually already read two of these novels and I adored them so much I can't wait for the public to have them.

3. 2014 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge looks absolutely amazing! Also, Alienated by Melissa Landers. I already read this book and absolutely adored it and I can't wait for everyone else to read it, too!

4. Series Ending You Are Most Anticipating in 2014?
Ignite Me by Tahereh Mafi! No questions asked. I know this will rip my heart out, but my question is will it be shredded to pieces or will it be fed to cannibals? Tahereh Mafi currently has the power to do both.

5. One Thing You Hope to Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging in 2014?
Learn to truly balance college and blogging. I think I've been doing a pretty decent job, but it hasn't been perfectly ideal just yet. The first semester was a test run, and now I've got everything down (hopefully). I also want to get my readers more involved in my blog. I've been severely lacking in comments these days and it sucks a lot.

Goodbye 2013, hello 2014!

Please link me to your surveys if you get the chance to complete it!

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you about The Art of Wishing. I was so excited for that one, but it just wasn't everything I hoped it would be. The Summer I Became A Nerd was so cute! Vicious also sounds amazing :) I'm hoping to pick up a copy of that sometime soon.

    For Ignite Me, I'm so excited for that one. I'm really hoping that Juliette is going to choose Warner and I just need to know what's going to happen, lol. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. <3333333333

    COMMENCING OUT LOUD COMMENTS. Because, you know. We're in the same room.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Girl of Fire and Thorns! I read that a LONG time ago, but haven't read the sequels yet so I need to reread first and then I will join the fandom completely. And THORNE! I'm reading Cress right now and I'm in love. The Fault in Our Stars...*pats back sympathetically* Aw, thanks for the mention! I'm very glad I met you, although now I need to MEET meet you. (BEA 2014 anyone? I HOPE) Ha, I think Ignite Me will be on everyone's list. Warnerrrr <3



    ReplyDelete