Review: Cress by Marissa Meyer

Series: The Lunar Chronicles #3
Publication Date: February 4, 2014
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Reading Level: Young Adult
Pages: 550 (ARC)
Source: Gifted
Rapunzel’s tower is a satellite. She can’t let down her hair—or her guard.

In this third book in the bestselling Lunar Chronicles series, Cinder and Captain Thorne are fugitives on the run, with Scarlet and Wolf in tow. Together, they’re plotting to overthrow Queen Levana and her army.

Their best hope lies with Cress, who has been trapped on a satellite since childhood with only her netscreens as company. All that screen time has made Cress an excellent hacker—unfortunately, she’s just received orders from Levana to track down Cinder and her handsome accomplice.

When a daring rescue goes awry, the group is separated. Cress finally has her freedom, but it comes at a high price. Meanwhile, Queen Levana will let nothing stop her marriage to Emperor Kai. Cress, Scarlet, and Cinder may not have signed up to save the world, but they may be the only ones who can.
~*~Lili's Reflections~*~

I've come to the point where all I have to ask is this: is it even fair to write reviews for this amazing series? I cannot find the words to properly do this book justice!

When this novel arrived on my doorstep, I was slightly surprised. To put it simply, it's a brick. It's the longest of the series yet. Believe it or not, this scared me more than it excited me. I feared what could make the book so long and shuddered to think that it could be some of the literary cliches that I do not enjoy at all...info-dumping, over-description, paragraphs upon paragraphs of speech that is hard to follow. I'm happy to say that none of these things occur and the length of CRESS is entirely necessary in order to tell the amazing story within its pages. Though the length is most definitely intimidating, this is an easy book to breeze through because of Meyer's storytelling. To sum up the book in a word: unputdownable.

There's been a new addition to the cast of this novel and that is Crescent Moon, also known as Cress. She is a unique character because she became forcibly isolated from the world at a very young age. However, she is absolutely brilliant and we, as Cinder supporters, are beyond lucky to have her vast technological skills on our side. Her perspective provided a new way to look at the world and I enjoyed the fact that Meyer used her to stress the fact that beauty can be found anywhere. However, I have to admit that Cress, at times, was a bit childish. Then again, she is the youngest of our heroines thus far and is slightly hormonal because she's never seen a male before. When you compare her directly to Cinder and Scarlet, she's a small step below them. But, in the end, she still rocked my socks off. If she can manage to do all that as a weaker character in this series, you can't help but have your mind blown.

The character that developed the most in this series was, without a doubt, Thorne. I grew to love him in ways I never thought imaginable. His arrogance and confidence made me enjoy his presence in the beginning, but his character arc was taken to a brand new level in this book. Not only do we learn more about him and see more of him, but we finally see a more vulnerable side to him that made me love him even more. In fact, all characters in the series experienced large character growth, Thorne just took everything to an entirely different level. Iko still provided laugh-out-loud shenanigans and Cinder, Scarlet, Wolf, and Kai all grew as well. I wanted to say that Wolf experienced the most surprising growth pattern in this novel, and I adored it because it shows that every warrior has a weakness. When you figure out what his is, you can't help but smile.

CRESS was absolutely amazing. It took the plot of this series to an entirely different level. Though it comes in at nearly 600 pages, it reads much faster because Meyer's writing is so superb. It made me both laugh with joy and tear up in sadness and definitely took me on a bookish adventure of a lifetime. I'm silently reprimanding myself for reading this book so early because WINTER's release is so far away. But, if anything, this book only confirms the fact that WINTER is going to be absolutely epic and end one of the most beloved series out there with a bang.

This series is a must read. No questions asked! It even leaves me speechless!


5 stars

~*~Links~*~

12 comments:

  1. Yay yay yay I've been waiting for this review! I'm so happy you loved it! The size was definitely intimidating to me, too. When I first opened it, the first thing I said was, "When the hell am I supposed to find time to read this?" But it is SO WORTH the length and every single word is necessary and um, perfect.

    I'm sad you thought Cress was weaker though. :( I just thought she had different strengths and weaknesses the other girls didn't have. She's strong in ways they aren't and she is weak where Cinder and Scarlet are stronger. I totally agree with you about Thorne though. I absolutely fell in love with him in this book.

    It is wildly unfair how long we have to wait for Winter. The last little bit at the end with her? OMG! She sounds like she is going to be amazing to read about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha <3 I love that you've been waiting for this, Bekka! I was thinking the same thing! It is among the biggest books I have ever read, but also among the rest! PERFECTION AT ITS FINEST, I tell you!

      I did think she was weaker than the others, though strong in her own right. You're very right with her analysis of her, but I still just don't love her AS MUCH as Cinder, Scarlet, and even Iko. Then again, I love them all so immensely that I can still have a lot of love for Cress in comparison. ;) Which I do.

      And THORNE! I love you baby <3 haha

      WINTER NEEDS TO BE IN MY POSSESSION NOW! ESPECIALLY SINCE THIS WINTER HAS MADE ME FALL ON MY BUTT ON ICE AND THIS BOOK WILL MAKE IT ALL WORTH IT. OKAY?! OKAY.

      Delete
  2. My mom has my copy right now, but she is bringing it to me this week!!! Can't wait to start it. I haven't heard a bad thing yet. (Like you said, it's an amazing series!)

    Jennifer
    YA Sisterhood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it's possible to say anything bad about this series. It's just so freaking perfect in every aspect of this series <3

      Delete
  3. I have been just a little obsessed with this book. I mean HOW COULD YOU NOT BE?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Marissa Meyer is a freaking genius I think we can agree. Aack. I don't even have words. Cinder...KAI....Scarlet! Wolf and Iko..CRESS AND THORNE!!! OH MY GOSSSH. So brilly. I just have all the feels and lots of feels for Winter that I kind of need NOW. Love your review!!! Mine will be up soon when I can get it into some physical shape. Haha. Eeep!

    <333 inky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CAN THE NAME MARISSA MEYER JUST BE EQUATED WITH THE WORD GENIUS?! PLEASE?!

      Brilly haha <3 yes I agree.

      Ugh, I can't wait for WINTER. I need it right now. Scratch that. Like yesterday.

      Delete
  4. This is one of my absolute favorite series in a long time. I love love love love this series and I am so stoked that Cress is going to be out very soon. I can't wait to know Cress and Thorne better and Iko has always been one of my favorite secondary characters. Great review and I am so looking forward to this book!

    Vyki @ On The Shelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iko is one of the best secondary characters ever!! Definitely can fight right alongside Kenji for that award.

      If you're not looking forward to this book, I officially declare that you are insane.

      Delete
  5. Loved Cinder, but have fallen behind and still need to read Scarlet. Thanks for the great review! Really looking forward to reading this one now, despite the size!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to read book two so you can get to book three! Such a gem!

      Delete
  6. All the reviews I've read so far for Cress have been highly positive, and that gives me even higher hopes than I had before. I am fully prepared to love this book and call it the best of 2014 (even though it's awfully early in the year to be doing that already...)

    Great review, Lili!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh man, no. I was thrilled when Cress was so long. I want to be barely able to heft Winter. This is my dream. DICTIONARY-SIZED. Haha. But I'm not intrinsically scared of chunky books.

    Cress is my least favorite of the heroines too. I'm on the other side about Thorne though. So far, I really don't like what she's doing to him at all. We'll see in WInter, but for the moment I am not a happy camper about that ship.

    ReplyDelete