College Blogging 101: Cushioning the Experience--High School to College


College Blogging 101 is a weekly meme hosted by Lili's Reflections where a variety of hosts answer questions and give advice in regards to blogging in college. The purpose of this is to help upcoming college students and to create an open discussion forum. If you would like to write a guest post, please fill out this form. If you have a question you want answered, please fill out this form.

~*~*~*~

When I first came up with the idea for this meme, the question asked most often was "how does college blogging differ from regular blogging?" I wrote a previous post about this, but I'm going to bring back some of my favorite points and build upon them to get this question out the way.

There is one important thing in regards to your blog that you need to know when transitioning from high school to college.

Your blog can still be amazing, but your priorities are going to drastically shift.

I know, it sucks, but trust me when I say that the things that will begin to lack in your blog will be replaced by awesome things in real life. If you go into college accepting the fact that your blog will no longer be a priority, you're mentally prepared for what is to come and won't have a mental breakdown when you realize you aren't posting as much. In the month of August I posted 30 times. For every month following I have posted 15 to 18 times, and I'm okay with that because it means each post was the best possible post it could be since it's hard to post as often.

By accepting the fact that your blog is not a priority, it prohibits your blog from becoming a chore. There is no misguidance or disillusion. There is the determination to keep your blog up while making new friends, joining clubs, and exploring new interests. Your child has gone from a baby to a teenager, it can function by itself just a little bit and requires a tiny bit less attention. 

The truth is that if you want to have friends and pass classes at the same time, there's just no way that your blog will be as important as it once was. You can't blog and have a real social life, just as you can't blog and get good grades. Most of your reading time will be put toward studying, and most of your studying time will be spent reading really boring articles and works that make you wish you have a good book in your hand.

This is what becomes of your reading time.

But, as any book blogger will come to know, you will find the time to read because it is a passion. This time won't be easy to carve out of your schedule when first going to college because it will be overwhelming, so I highly recommend preparing yourself for a month or so in advance throughout the summer so that there's less stress on you when you first begin blogging. If you don't prepare yourself in advance, well, all I've got to say is this...


However, don't fret. As time goes on, you're going to find your real friends and you are going to find that you are opening up to them about your blog. You'll share your blog and be shocked when they actually like it, even if they aren't bookish people themselves. They'll like it because it's important to you. And, like my friend Mike, they'll sit with you at 1am on a Saturday night when you're trying to put this post together, but just want some company. They will become your personal cheerleaders to keep your blog going on, and when you complain about boredom or writer's block on an essay, they'll happily call you an idiot and forcefully tell you to "put together a blog post, dumbass!"

If you have any advice on how to cushion the transition from high school to college, please comment below!

This post was much shorter than the average post, but I wanted to get the first piece of advice out of the way.

~*~*~*~

Next Week's Post: Join us when Gaby from Queen Ella Bee Reads discusses when to know if it's a proper time to blog in college.

Next Next Week's Post: Co-bloggers for college, yay or nay? a discussion post where all views and opinions are welcome!

~*~*~*~

Please Note: This is the beginning of a new meme, please be honest with your thoughts on advice!

11 comments:

  1. As someone who's pretty much an overachiever, I've hesitated to start a blog for the reasons you mentioned above. I love reading, and though I used to hate critically reading a book before, I've been spontaneously doing book reactionish things on LiveJournal for a while, because it's so much fun. I don't want to call them reviews exactly, because..well, they're not. But I know I like doing it. And I know I'd have a blast having a proper blog of my own.

    I'm about to finish my senior year and have decided and undecided to start a blog for because my curriculum is crazy hectic and demands that I slog like a log and sacrifice my blood to the Exam Gods. Daily. I'm not even kidding.

    So the tentative plan was to try one out during college, but I scuttled away from even that. This post thought..may make me open to trying that out again. I just don't want the blog to be at the cost of my grades and the social life I fully intend to have once I break out of the hell that has been high school for the past two years :P

    ANYWAYS. *takes a step back from dumping my problems on you* I liked this post. I really did. I think bookish people who in the college-school transition could get something out of this (especially because most bloggers I know are above 20 years of age and aren't as likely to start a meme like this). I know I'll be looking forward to next week's post, if there is one.

    Also I want long hair and I'm growing mine out but it's frustrating because there's hair EVERYwhere and I'm this close to hacking it out with a kitchen knife.

    I just felt like I had to say that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't we all secretly some sort of overachiever?

      Next week's post is actually focused on when to start a blog, so I'd definitely check it out!

      I think that everyone should give a blog a chance, just don't allow it to become a chore. And you can't really plan when to start a blog, you simply start it because it feels like the right time to start it.

      Ahhh....the hair thing is interesting lol

      Delete
  2. Didn't setting your blog up take up a ton of time, though? Like figuring out a blogging template, and later linking reviews to Goodreads/Twitter and/or getting back to publishers for arc requests?

    Also, I find it surprisingly..easy to review a book? Like I don't need to grit by brain about what I liked and didn't like. I sort of figured it out instantly.

    I need to get off the internet and drag my overachieving self back to study. Someone brainwash me .___.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not really. I literally woke up one day and said I want to start blogging, so I did. I didn't get a professional design into nearly a year into blogging. What takes time is the content. And you don't even THINK about arc requests until you're at least 9 months into blogging. Nobody will even look at you before then unless your stats are astronomical.

      So, no, the entire process is fun. And because it is fun and you enjoy it, you're dedicated to it, even if it takes a while to put together a post.

      Reviewing books get harder and harder because it's tougher and tougher to be analytical on five star reviews without saying the same thing. So, no, I wouldn't say reviewing is easy. Where I used to write reviews in 20 minutes, it now takes me at least an hour because I actually think it out. My reviewing style has changed and grown and matured and I cringe at my first ever reviews.

      With that in mind, if you have questions please fill out the form. That is what it is for so that we can thoroughly answer questions.

      Delete
  3. I did not start blogging until after I finished my Masters, and really my now-husband gave me the idea to get me to leave him alone. After college/ grad school you have a lot of time that even when you have a job you feel is free time. I needed something that was fun, entertaining for the long term, and would fell the gap that school left.

    I love to read and that is why I blog, I have always been a reader but I am not sure I could have been a blogger while in college and still manage to pass my courses. I am impressed of the courage College/ High-School bloggers have and their drive to multitask that much. Rock on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a little too much free time this semester, so I am hoping to get back into blogging actually. It's cool that for my free time my friends are directly within reach, but I can't always be with people haha

      Thank you so much! <3 It's not easy, but it's so so worth it.

      Delete
  4. YAY!! So glad this is coming together!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this feature! It's super useful because I am a senior and I do want to continue blogging through college. It will be difficult, but worth it, right? I'm especially interested to see that post about co-bloggers. So far, I blog with my friend who I see every day. I wonder if things will change if I do end up leaving home for school.

    Anyway, I'm looking forward to more posts!

    -P.E. @ The Sirenic Codex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is difficult, but I think it's worth it. It forces you to have some you time and it's very easy to get caught up in the college world with other things, so it's nice to just be you for a bit.

      Delete
  6. Awww, I love that you have a friend to holler at you about your blog. That's super sweet, especially for a not bookish person. :)

    ReplyDelete