February Monthly Recap & Introducing a New Feature

I've decided to do monthly recaps in order to review what happened on my blog this month, as well as share some personal things I've done throughout the month. You know...what television shows are currently interesting me now that I finally have Netflix, what movies I've recently seen, and what Broadway shows I had the luck to see. I figured since everyone here is my go to fangirl community, then we can fangirl over non book related things, too! This post idea was inspired by Christina's monthly recaps.

~*~On The Blog~*~

Books Reviewed:
Half Bad by Sally Green - 5 stars
The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski - 4.5 stars
Ignite Me by Tahereh Mafi - 4 stars 
Ask Again Later by Liz Czukas - 4 stars
Proxy by Mindee Arnett - 3.5 stars
Avalon by Mindee Arnett - 3.5 stars

Books Reviewed on Tynga's Reviews:
Fracture Me by Tahereh Mafi - 3 stars


Discussion Posts:
  1. My birthday happened this month, and I wanted to take a moment to thank everyone for making this year special already. 
  2. I did a post about how re-reading, re-watching, and re-seeing books, television shows, and Broadway shows isn't always that great. In other words, the second time ain't always fine. I'm actually super proud of this post and would really love some more opinions on it. This is stemming from my experience of seeing Mamma Mia! for the second time and not enjoying it at all. 
  3. Yesterday I brought up the topic of novellas. Do you love them or do you hate them? I used to be on one side and now I am on the other, so I'd love to hear other opinions too!
College Blogging 101 Posts:
College blogging 101 launched this month and the first 4 posts are up! Please check them out as I am hoping that this feature can last a while!
  1. Our first post was written by me and the topic was about cushioning the experience from transitioning to college blogging after high school blogging. It's really different but entirely do-able if you put your mind to it.
  2. Gaby from Queen Ella Bee Reads stopped by for our second post and discussed the huge conundrum about when the proper time to start a blog is. Check it out if you are thinking of starting a blog in college!
  3. I tackled the third post on the topic of whether or not it is worth getting a co-blogger in college and explained why I never plan on getting one.
  4. In contrast, Krista from Nawanda Files shares her personal experiences with having a co-blogger and how it saved her blog in college. There are totally positives to having co-bloggers too!

~*~What I've Been Watching~*~ 
TV:
  1. I began watching Legend of Korra season one at the suggestion of several friends because I freaking adored Avatar and watched all four seasons in a week back in high school. I've got to admit that the first five or so episodes really turned me off, but once the ball got rolling there was no stopping it. Korra isn't as easily likable as Ang. Where he is young and childish, she's stubborn and trying to assert her independence as a teenager still on the brink of adulthood. In the end, she's pretty damn awesome and I absolutely adored her best friends and other acquaintances in this series. Nobody can beat Sokka, though.
  2. Obviously, after watching season one I immediately jumped into season two of Legend of Korra at my RA's (resident adviser's) insistence because he says it's even better then season one. He was right. I blew through this season in a mere two days it was so good and I lost out on some valuable sleep because of it, but I wouldn't have it any other way. The plot twists in this one can only be described as intense and it blows season one out of the water. If you are a fan of Avatar: The Last Airbender, give this sequel series a chance, but don't allow the first few episodes of season one to discourage you. There's got to be some world-building and background information somewhere, right?
  3. If you have paid attention to my Twitter feed at all late at night, you'll come to know that I am now obsessed with Once Upon A Time. I started watching this show because fairytale re-tellings are my addiction and this concept had me enamored. Plus, I wanted to be able to continue watching it when my friends pick up with season three in the beginning of March. Suffice to say, season one was absolutely amazing. The acting is not only great, but there's a lot of surprises and it's absolutely fascinating to see how every character's fairytale story relates to others. The season ending was a killer and it made me start season two immediately, so updates on that upon its completion next month. But, ladies, take a moment to watch this series for Sheriff Graham and David. That's all I've gotta say.

Movies:
  1. The first movie I watched this month was Eurotrip. It's pretty much this story of a nerdy high school kid whose hot girlfriend, Fiona, breaks up with him the day of graduation. He's devastated and rants to his long-distance European e-mail pen-pal whose gender he ends up mixing up and before he knows it, he convinced the hottest girl he knows to block him on e-mail after getting a little too drunk one night. Oh, let's not forget to mention that this girl is the potential love of his life. He simply has to take his best friend on a European adventure to hunt her down and tell her how he really feels before it's too late. To put it simply, this movie is bad in the best possible way. It's raunchy, it's full of cliches and sex, and hilarious escapades ensue. It was sort of an "in the moment" pick and I can't say I regret anything. My friend Carolyn and I were cackling, though I can see many people disliking it. All things aside, Michelle Tratchenberg is in it and is very different from her character in Ice Princess. This movie also gave us the musical gem "Scotty Doesn't Know" performed by a punked out Matt Damon. Check it out here.
  2. It's a mostly weekly tradition (except for this month) for some of my friends and I to have a movie night every Friday night, so we picked The Descendents because a) I had it on my laptop and b) one of us had never seen it before and that is blasphemy. George Clooney plays the father of two rebellious daughters whose wife is in a coma and about to die after flipping a boat during a race. Their marriage was on the rocks for a while and upon the realization that she is going to die, he finds out she was cheating on him. Clooney begins chasing down the man she loved all over Hawaii while struggling to figure out whether to sell his family's large amount of land and managing his children's lives. It's an amazing movie that leaves me breathless every time I watch it because it simply is so well done. This movie showcases Shailene Woodley's amazing acting abilities and it also shows how hilarious it is to watch George Clooney run in a dramatic fashion while wearing boating shoes. It's seriously laugh worthy despite that specific scene being so powerful.
  3. The movie night crew and I decided to bring back a blast from the past by watching Kiki's Delivery Service. Need I really say anything about this amazing movie that we all grew up with? Kiki is a witch with a talking black cat, Gigi. They go to a new town when she is thirteen for her to learn how to be a proper witch. While there she is taken under the wing of  kind bakery owner who helps her start her own delivery service. She meets friends, specifically Tombo, and learns to be happy with her abilities in regards to flying a broom. Sad fact that my friend broke my heart with: the reason Gigi stops talking half way through the movie is because the man voicing him passed away during recording. How terrible!
  4. The last movie that I watched this month a mere two days before this month ended was Sydney White. Several people on my floor plus myself were sitting in our lounge reminiscing about old school Amanda Bynes and how much we missed her. A commercial came on advertising this movie and I admitted I've never seen it. Many of them, guys included, forced me to watch it. So I curled up in my room alone with a bowl of popcorn on a Wednesday night and saw what all the fuss is about. Let me tell you, I really miss old school Amanda Bynes. This movie is a hilariously dorky and adorable Snow White re-telling taking place in a college with evil sororities and seven dorks who actually make the best of friends. If you like her old movies like What A Girl Wants at all, then you should definitely give this one a chance.
Broadway Shows & A New Feature:
I have also seen many broadway shows this month! I discovered the wonder's of student discounts in regards to Broadway and I am officially in love. So, I've been enjoying my ability to see shows and have decided to introduce a new feature here at Lili's Reflections called "The Broadway Review!" Scattered randomly throughout the month will be reviews of all the Broadway shows I have seen while being a student here at Pace. This won't have a planned schedule since it's in accordance to when I see shows, but I've got reviews of Cinderella (without Fran and Carly), Newsies, Mamma Mia!, The Twelfth Night, and The Glass Menagerie definitely coming up. Some shows that I have plans to see and will eventually definitely get reviewed are Pippin, Once, The Book of Mormon, Aladdin, If/Then, and Cinderella (with Carly and Fran!). Keep in mind these will be mini reviews since I can't say I'm great at reviewing shows, but I thought this would be a fun feature to bring something new to the blog.

The only shows that I have seen in the past that will not be featured are Big Fish because it is off Broadway, Hairspray because it is off Broadway, and Wicked because I have to see it again in all of its glory in order to truly appreciate it.

Tapings:
  1. I saw Amy Adams at Inside The Actor's Studio! My college happens to be the home of the Michael Schimmel Theater for the Arts, which is where Inside The Actor's Studio is hosted. The very first week of this month, Amy Adams stopped by to promote American Hustle. We laughed and cried and had an amazing three hours of filming together (well, the two of us and the other 600 audience members). But, hey, I got in for free and this was one of the most fun things I have ever done in my life. I will certainly do this again, though I'm bummed I missed the cast of How I Met Your Mother stopping by since I was busy with my birthday and everything.
So, I'd love to hear your thoughts. Do you like this new feature and recommend me keeping it? What are your thoughts on my new Broadway feature? What shows are you currently watching and have you watched any of mine? Comment below!

2 comments:

  1. Love the recap post, Lili. It's a great way for readers to catch up on what they may have missed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your this article is really good. Your work is really inspiring and informative thanks for share such a nice blog.
    FileCrop UK proxy

    ReplyDelete