Novellas, Si o No?


Sorry for the title, I'm in an Italian mood this morning.

Novellas...before I was a blogger I hated them. I didn't understand the purpose of them. What is the point of paying a dollar to read a little book that is less then 100 pages when you can pay a little bit more for the full story? I know I wasn't alone in this belief.

It didn't matter that some of my favorite stories came out of novellas, a great example being Shawshank Redemption by Stephen King. I still hated them.

But now, with novellas coming out left and right, I'm beginning to realize that in some cases they are sort of a genius marketing ploy. It's become a mini movement in the young adult industry.


There have been times where I was so desperate for more of a story that I turned to the novellas to be in the author's world just a little bit more while my wait for the next book dragged on. This most recently happened with Tahereh Mafi's SHATTER ME novellas, Brigid Kemmerer's ELEMENTALS series as well as Sarah J. Maas's THRONE OF GLASS prequel novellas. For the most part, these stories wowed me.

But then there are other novellas that I feel like are just there. Katie McGarry's PUSHING THE LIMITS novellas feel as if they were there to serve as a filler. And that's saying a lot because I adore Katie McGarry. I just can't say I saw any sense in Crossing The Line.

But, that takes me back to my first point. What's the point of paying for such a little story? The sad truth is that I am your a-typical broke college student that has no money. I can't afford to spend a dollar on a book when it can get me a yogurt in the supermarket at the moment. Thus, I decide to wait for novellas to be put out for free or to go on sale and then I hoard them when I need some quick reading material.

Novellas often go on sale when the release date of the next actual novel in the series approaches. And, if not, there are little deals here and there with them throughout the year. Some are just free from the get-go. Then there are superpower publishers like Tor who just make many novellas available for free to us and I just want to get on my hands and knees and thank the heavens for such a reading gift. It caters to broke bloggers like myself and makes me happy. Thank you, Tor.


If you don't know what I'm talking about, you can check out their series and comics here.

Novellas, I've discovered, are just as interesting as your average novel. They tell their own type of story when they are written right. They saturate your hunger and hint at what is to come while keeping your interest. And they're a slowly growing force in the book blogging community. I regret ever having doubt in them for their admittedly slightly steep prices.

I often find myself turning to a novella every now and then when my reading progress in a book is too slow. It gets a review up that I would hope interests others and it gets me back into my reading groove because novellas are typically so easy to get through. They're sort of the best type of help a blogger could ask for in regards to reviewing. 

They're also a really great distraction in my lecture hall when my Professor begins to drone about his family.

Novellas deserve a hug, if you ask me.


~*~*~*~

Have your views of novellas changed while you have been part of the blogosphere? Do you value them or dislike them? Why? Let's get this discussion going! I'm really curious.

10 comments:

  1. I am a fan of novellas, I like getting more of a series; but I also really like books that come out just as novellas. They are quick reads and sometimes that is all I want, a to the point, fast paced story. Wonderful discussion post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy novellas in the sense that I get more of a series, but in the rare case aside from SHAWSHANK REDEMPTIOM, I really don't like novellas as their own story. If I want a fast paced story then I will pick up a book that's less then 300 pages like Kiersten White's MIND GAMES duology or some of David Levithan's work.

      Delete
  2. Ermagerd, don't even get me started about the Throne of Glass prequel novellas... those things were the only things keeping me sane before Crown of Midnight came out! And honestly, S.J. Maas did her readers right by those prequels, too, being that they continued to flesh out the world she was building, gave insight into Celaena's past and how she builds relationships with people, and showed that she wasn't just this cocksure assassin all the time... the novellas made her more real. LOVE them. *end unbidden flailing*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha the THRONE OF GLASS novellas were kick ass. And I kind of like that I read them after THRONE OF GLASS but before CROWN OF MIDNIGHT because you make more sense of some of the hidden meanings in CROWN OF MIDNIGHT that way. You can flail all you want, Maas deserves it!

      Delete
  3. I'm sort of on the fence with novellas. I enjoy them but I'm becoming a bit resentful of the fact that some of them are actually 'necessary' and I have to read them or I feel lost when I start the next book. I love when novellas are nice add on pieces that have actual depth but I rarely have money for book buying so they are not on my priority list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They aren't on my priority list either, only when they're on sale. And I get the resentment. That's how I felt with CROSSING THE LINE. But in contrast the THRONE OF GLASS novellas added a lot to the world and I loved them for that!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love novellas! .. well.. most of the time :D they have to be done right and actually have some content.. not a fan of just like..1 scene. Great topic to talk about! Looking up some of the ones you shared now! Michelle @ The Passionate Bookworms

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love free novellas. But having to pay $2-3 for one? I think that's just outrageous! I'd rather save up the money I would have spent on a few novellas and just buy a full book! Haha

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't actually read novellas, mostly because I rarely hear about them and honestly, I have enough trouble keeping up with the books I want to read.

    Tanya Patrice
    Girlxoxo.com

    ReplyDelete