Review: Ask Again Later by Liz Czukas

Publication Date: March 11, 2014
Publisher: HarperTeen
Reading Level: Young Adult
Pages: 336 (ARC)
Source: Edelweiss
Despite what her name might suggest, Heart has zero interest in complicated romance. So when her brilliant plan to go to prom with a group of friends is disrupted by two surprise invites, Heart knows there's only one drama-free solution: flip a coin.

Heads: The jock. He might spend all night staring at his ex or throw up in the limo, but how bad can her brother's best friend really be?

Tails: The theater geek...with a secret. What could be better than a guy who shares all Heart's interests--even if he wants to share all his feelings?

Heart's simple coin flip has somehow given her the chance to live out both dates. But where her prom night ends up might be the most surprising thing of all...
~*~Lili's Reflections~*~

As the cover of this book suggests, this is a really cute read. There's no other way to describe this besides saying it is full of adorableness and banter and fluffiness that makes one beyond happy inside. It's the perfect read for any reader who likes a bit of fluff in their life every now and then and I highly recommend it.

Our main character is named Heart LaCoeur. Honestly, I saw this name and cringed a little. I'm all for originality in regards to naming characters, but her name is seriously cringe-worthy. However, I like how Czukas took this as a way to make the story realistic and instead had our main character get picked on for her name. Sure, it's rather childish, but I really loved this touch of realism. With that in mind, I adored Heart. I found her to be one of the most hilarious characters I have come across in a while. She really carries the book and makes it unique, though I can easily see some readers being less then amused by her antics because she does possess such a strong and unique personality.

It came as no surprise to me that Heart got three offers to Prom. Hell, I would want to attend Prom with such an awesome girl. Her friends happily named their group the No-Drama-Prom-A asked her to go, her brother's best friend Troy asked her to go, and Ryan asked her to go. All three of the above options are not date material, but she owes something to every individual. She doesn't want to break any hearts and let anyone down so she engages in some terrible indecisiveness that leads to some seriously twisty prom escapades as the chapters alternate between her date options.

I think that my favorite aspect of this novel was the awesome cast of supporting characters. Theater people really stick together. If you think it was bad in high school, imagine how it is when you go to an amazing performing arts college in New York City (like I do). My personal experiences with theater people in college made me love Heart's group even more than the average reader because of the fact that I just get how it is to have people that understand you better than anyone else. It does help that all of her friends are awesome and easily memorable because of their unique yet outrageous personalities as well.

The book alternates between what would happen if she went with Troy and what would happen if she went with Ryan. There was cuteness, there was adorableness, there was some weirdness that had me rolling my eyes--but I couldn't have asked for a better book. While the dual perspectives and overall outcome is reminiscent of the way that Pivot Point by Kasie West is written, Ask Again Later stands completely apart as its own super fluffy and funny Prom read depicting the trials and tribulations of your averagely amazing high-school girl.

If you like fluff and laughter then this is a book for you.


4 stars

~*~Links~*~

FTC Disclaimer: I received no form of compensation in exchange for my honest review.

2 comments:

  1. This book has had me intrigued for a long time. It looks super and sounds very fluffy and sweet--maybe like cotton candy? Anyway, you're review has me anxious to pick up a copy! The comparison to Pivot Point especially has me intrigued, but I'm glad to know that it stands out on its own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cotton candy is the perfect way to describe it!

      The way it's written in alternating perspective is what brought the PIVOT POINT comparison up. (:

      Delete